The Ricky Gervais Show

Sunday 10:00 PM on HBO Premiered Feb 19, 2010 Between Seasons

The Ricky Gervais Show Fan Reviews (3)

• paid to promote

show is on TV.com's "what to watch", but should be on: "what to watch if you want to gouge your eyes out with a dirty dull defective spork, whilst wishing you had earplugs made of nails infused with the blood of rabid raccoons, and Danzig"
  • As audio, it works; as an on-screen presentation - well, Abysmal works for me.

I LOVE Gervais type humour. It's deadpan yet provocative, every-man yet philosophical. His Office and Extras are two of the most brilliant TV comedies in recent ... what the heck, in history, period. His ideas are abundant and his comedic skills obvious and varied.
    So whomever thought it would be a good idea to put animated faces of Gervais and Merchant (and Pilkington) on screen (because their real faces are much more hilarious) to simulate their radio show reparte should be shot. Twice.
    When you don't have any other senses than ears, you listen to the replicas and let your mind wander, you immerse yourself in the conversations, add, embellish, dramatise... However, when you add the visual, all of that is lost and you're left with three talking heads droning and droning on...
    I'm occasionally masochistic - but not THAT masochistic. Fail.
  • Brings new life to the podcasts.

Have never written a review for TV.com before but having read the review that gave this show 1 out of 10 I wanted to provide some balance.

You may be aware that the show is based on a series of podcasts from Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant (co-writers of the brilliant 'The Office' and 'Extras') as well as there former producer Karl Plikington.

The 'Ricky Gervais Show' basically takes the podcasts and adds animated versions of the Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington as well as animating their often bizarre discussions. For me these animations really add to the discussion. Some, such as Noel Edmonds offering a child a chance to swin with a plastic bag, are funny in their own right.

If you are a fan of the podcasts then you will certainly enjoy this show, if you have never heard the podcasts then you are missing out on listening to one of the (accidently) funniest men around.