The Rifleman

The Challenge

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Apr 07, 1959 on ABC

7.2
  • Big Fan Here, But This One Was Tough to Sit Through :(

One of The Rifleman's most disappointing episodes. I found myself annoyed from beginning to end. A spineless wimp of a wanna-be thug, spineless townspeople willing to let Lucas take all the risk with absolutely no intent to have his back, & a story-line with no logical reasoning & nothing to hold it together. As if that wasn't bad enough, the relentless playing of that horrendously awful song apparently meant to punctuate the drama, made me want to scream. There were only two redeeming moments in this episode, the first of which was Lucas' talk with Mark before he went out in the street to face-down Pardee; the obvious special connection & genuine caring between these two characters AND actors is always satisfying to witness. The second was the disgusted reaction of "Professor", upon witnessing Pardee's cowardly response on facing off against Lucas. That one moment is the only reason this episode even rated a five! If you're a diehard fan of the show, you'll grit your teeth & watch, if not, I recommend giving this one a pass.