The Road to Stardom with Missy Elliott

I Feel Cowboy Sexy

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 26, 2005 on UPN

3.2
  • Urban performers take on country classics...not as bad as I thought!

In this episode of UPN's "The Road to Stardom", the remaining ten performers had to put their own spin on some country music classics. They collaborated with each other for a performance at a country bar in Nashville, Tenn. Here are my reviews for the collaborations:

Melissa, Jessica, Matthew - This was the best collaboration of the night. Melissa, Jessica, and Matthew performed a country classic, but unfortunately, I forgot the name of the song that they performed. They didn't change much, but the harmonies were great, which seemed to be all that they wanted to change, as stated in the studio. I was happy to see Melissa step her game up. She, as well as the other contestants, was surprised by Melissa's improvement. Judging from tonight's performance, she definitely deserves to stay on the tour---and she did.

Marcus, Akil, Deltrice, Eddie - This collaboration ranks second in my opinion, and only because of Eddie's overwhelming veto of the performance. Deltrice and Marcus held it together on the vocals, so it was apparent that Eddie should've just simply been the hype man for this performance. Instead, he insisted on outshining the others. I wish Akil could've gotten a part in the song that would've made him more visible, but other than that, this performance was on point. They didn't do to "Sweet Home Alabama" what I'd expected. That's a good thing!

Nic, Nilyne, Frank B - "Urban performers take on country classics...not as bad as I thought!" With the exception of this terrible performance, the night would've been golden. This collaboration just seemed like it focused more on "hyping" the crowd, instead of showing talent. Talent is what should've been number one here, but it wasn't. Nilyne held the entire song together as best she could, while Frank B forgot his words and lost his rhythm. That was made evident, as Frank B was sent home tonight. They gave me an "Achy, Breaky Heart"
    with this performance.

Tonight was almost perfect, but overall, the performers seemed to have done their best. I give them an eight.