The Rockford Files

NBC (ended 1980)

Gislef

The Rockford Files Fan Reviews (16)

• one of the best shows from the 70's

7.6
    this is without a doubt one of the best shows from the 70's. jim garner was still in his prime and it had the coolest theme music. rockford was always getting in tight spots and trying to weasel his way out of them. i understand that garner suffered several injuries while doing his own stunt during this show. you don't see that much anymore on tv.
  • The dectective named Rockford...

this is my favourite show of the 1970's . but it is also bter than alot of shows in the 80's. i like how almost episode at the end has a car chase. in which Jim Rockford usually has to catch the bad guy.this show has alot of action for a 70's show and i really like it. it hardly ever comes on anymore but when it does i usually watch it. James Garner did a good job acting it's too bad that the doctors told him to take time off because of his bad back,knees and an ulcur. o well,it will always be a classic in my eyes.later.
  • this show was really good.

this is one of those shows you might not admit you used to watch, but I admit it. His car was pretty cool, he was always solving cases and he usually added a little humor to the situation. How can you not like this show, it had everything. It had action, adventure, drama and comedy. The cases he were on were actually interesting, I wish TV shows that are on today were even half as good as this show. If you haven't watched this show I'm sure you can rent it on video or something, it's a pretty decent show and it will always keep you entertained.
  • "I don't do anything dangerous..."

I have found this series, first from A&E reruns and now with Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, and it has become one of my new favorites. I love to watch an episode or two every night before bed.

As a fan of mysteries and private detective stories, "Rockford" is great for me, because it reminds me so much of the spirit of Raymond Chandler and Ross MacDonald. Jim Rockford is the epitome of a private eye; on the case, but not without his own interests and self-preservation. He's a hero who doesn't carry a gun, would prefer not to fight, and gets grief from his dad. He's an everyman caught up in things that may seem over his head, but he wins out in the end with his brains and his charm.

And like an everyman, he's surrounded by friends and colleagues who are some of the most "real" people on TV. The exasperated Dennis Becker, who wants only to get a window office and his pension; Beth Davenport (who wouldn't want a friend with benefits like Beth, who could also bail you out of legal trouble?); and of course, ex-con and scam artist extraordinare Angel Martin.

"Rockford" wins because of the strength of James Garner and the cast, combined with some of the best mystery writing for TV other than the 1970s "Columbo" episodes. It's telling that the 1990s reunion movies are just as strong as the series. "Rockford" rules whenever you see it. How many other 1970s cop shows can you say hold up just as well today?
  • The rough and tumble exploits of human punchbag and P.I., Jim Rockford.

Despite the sometimes O.T.T action (Was Jim's head made from cast iron?) there's no doubting the quality and class of "The Rockford Files" From the sun kissed Mike Post theme tune, the car chases, the generally serious storylines, wry humour, and the ultra charismatic characters, the show is a winner. Sure there are the occasional turkey episodes, but even a classic is allowed the odd faux pas here and there. James Garner was refered to by Barry Norman as television's first true superstar, and "The Rockford Files" cemeneted his reputation as the everyman hero in a rough and tumble world where the good guys didn't always come out tops. 10/10.
  • Classify this show? Classic, Personal Favorite, Trend Setter - where do I stop?

Of course a die hard James Garner fan like myself would naturally love this show. But Rockford was truly one of the greatest shows ever. With top notch writing, production values, incredible cast and of course the inimitable JG himself, no wonder it's still running all over the world.

If you haven't seen it, treat yourself!
  • Good Solid Crime/Sleuth TV

James Garner surely found his niche with the character Jim Rockford. This show maybe be set in the 70s, but it's never lost it's appeal.

Perhaps the fact that he wasn't too succesful, too clever, too bright, but still very charismatic was one of the many reasons for the show's success.

Anyways, the truth is, you know good TV when you watch it and you are entertained and that's what Rockford Files' all about.

Cheers!
  • I had to watch it...

This is another show that goes a ways back and wish there also could be some more shows also, could you imangine of having a friend like angel that never even came close to being one, my gosh did he ever get poor rockford into so much trouble, ever where they turn it was jimmy help me, again and again, never was no end to the trouble he had caused but guess he really showed what a true friend could be like, besides really thumping him no telling how many times he would of like to done that, and his dad, they made a perfect pair as dad and son, loved his dad's truck, nice, and I know rockford had that old fire bird, which is a classic to its days now, yeah I would like more of these to come back, but know it couldnt happen, me and a friend use to watch it every sunday night and talk about it at school the next day, and that would be every week, great show, really hate that good things have to come to an end.
  • Hello this is Jim Rockford, leave your phone number I'll get back with you.

The only show in history that starts off with a different phone message ever week. Then that unforgettable theme music. Hey Jim Bo, Rockfish, Jimmy Boy, and many more from the best sidekick of all time Angel. This is probalbly the best tv show of all time hands down. And it could have been better with some tweeks. Alot of great shows for their time and genre but this just blows all of them away. Firefly comes close now for me but forever the Rock was the greatest. Magnum was second for the genre of action drama but the Rockfish is just awesome. I mean he is so the regular American guy who you admire. Gets behind bills, knocked down, and burnt by Angel over and over but loyal to the core he takes him back. I just laugh thinking how many times Jim BO got the shaft because of Angel. If you never seen these episodes man you have missed American tv gold. A classic action drama. I mean plans that go hay wire but Jim always manages to pull it together and fix what's wrong. Decker and Rocky their to bail him out. And his car who could forget that. A Privat Eye for the ages. Just a really fine show.
  • The best private eye show of them all.

James Garner had earlier struck television immortality with his performance in Maverick. Sadly, he left that series after three seasons to do film work. He made several very good movies but by the early 70's his film career was beginning to dry up. Thus, Mr. Garner decided to return to series television. The Rockford Files was the result and we can all be glad for the finished product.

This show wasn't your typical private eye drama and Jim Rockford wasn't your typical private eye. He preferred to use his wits instead of his fists and didn't always succeed on his cases or get paid by his clients. Plus, unlike many other like shows, Jim had a personal life and we got huge glimpses of it. The viewer got to know Jim Rockford as a person instead of just as a private investigator.

What made the show click was Garner and his marvelous supporting cast. You had Noah Beery as Jim's somewhat befuddled father, Joe Santos as his harried police sergeant buddy, Gretchen Corbett as his attorney/girlfriend, and James Luisi as his police lieutenant/antagonist. Plus the greatest supporting character of them all---Stuart Margolin as the legendary Evelyn "Angel" Martin, Jim's ex-con prison buddy who always had an angle and seemingly always tried to con Jim out of something. Margolin was the epitome of brilliance in this role. The scripts themselves, though usually of a left-wing bent, were mostly literate and intelligent. And there was plenty of humor thrown in as well. It was almost as if Bret Maverick had gotten re-incarnated and come back to life as a 20th century private eye. But that's another review for another time.
  • My all time favorite! Jim Rockford is an awesome PI that has a sense of humor and a brain unlike most characters that are on TV today.

James Garner plays one of the best PI characters ever written in the Rockford Files. By far, one of the best shows to ever air on television. If you haven\\\'t seen it, watch it and you\\\'ll be hooked. Fast cars, shootouts, kidnappings, murder and good looking women can be found in every episode. I would miss work to stay home and watch the reruns if my wife would let me. Yeah, I know I can record it, but it\\\'s just not the same.
  • Influential detective series.

This was probably the greatest part James Garner ever played. He was essentially playing himself, an easy going guy caught in oddball situations mainly brought on by loony clients or by his former ex-con friends. The character of Jim Rockford was not unlike his other defining role of Bret Maverick. Also, the supporting cast was great as well. Noah Beery Jr. was perfect as Rocky, Jim's father, who was always trying to get his "Sonny" to give up the detective business and join him in the trucking business. Joe Santos was great as Dennis, Jim's main contact on the LAPD who reluctantly helped Jim by giving him information on various cases. Gretchen Corbett was great in her role as his girlfriend/lawyer Beth Davenport who would always be there to get him out of a jam. But, perhaps the most memorable character was Angel, played by Stuart Margolin. Angel was, and still is, the biggest weasel in television history. He would often be responsible for getting Jim into the odd predicaments he would get into. Also of note, this was the first hit from the mind of Stephen J. Cannell after years of writing for Adam-12. Cannell is probably one of the greatest writers in television history and this is where it all began.
  • From the moment ex-con turned private detective Jim Rockford's phone rings in the opening sequence, you can expect a mixture of action and mystery with a few laughs thrown in.

Jim Rockford broke the stereotype of the private detective. An ex-con, he shied away from guns and violence and prefered fishing to chasing down bad guys.

Instead of a sexy secretary, Jim had his dad Rocky (wonderfully played by Noah Beery Jr.), his ex-cellmate Angel (Stuart Margolin), his lawyer Beth (Gretchen Corbett) and Det. Dennis Becker (Joe Santos) pulling him in assorted directions. Rocky never approved of his son's choice of career. Angel usually tried to drag Jim into some scheme or other while claiming to be helping Jim investigate a case. Beth tried to be the voice of reason, but rarely won out. Becker usually did his best to stay out of trouble for helping or simply knowing Jim Rockford. Like Beth, he rarely succeeded.

Instead of an office, Jim worked out of his broken down mobile home which was close enough to the beach for Jim to go fishing instead of working.

Instead of being the invincible hero, Jim regularly got beaten up by assorted villains and bad guys.

Despite all of that, Jim Rockford managed to solve the case, get the people responsible and set things right by the end of the episode.

I always enjoyed the opening sequence of this show. Although the greeting on Jim Rockford's answering machine never changed, the message left for him was always different and rarely had anything to do with the episode that followed.
  • James Garner as a ex-con private detective. A really good show with great acting, writing and even a great theme song.

James Garner as a ex-con private detective. A really good show with great acting, writing and even a great theme song. This was more than a pretty good television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.
  • The Rockford Files

Hello there, this is Derrick Ferguson from Little Rock, Arkansas. I like to watch this classic television show, and it's called "The Rockford Files", because it brings back some of my memories. Please send me an e-mail to my new e-mail address, and it's derrickferguson2010@yahoo.com. Thanks! See you all again real soon.

Derrick Ferguson

Little Rock, Arkansas
  • One of the most down to earth detective shows of all time

I love The Rockford Files! Everything from the great theme song to the cool James Garner. This show had it all. Most people could relate to the main character in one way or another. Have you ever been falsely accused? Ever had to pay for someone else's mistakes or crimes? Then you know how it feels to be in Jim Rockford's shoes.

The storylines were well written and kept the viewer involved in each episode 'till the very end. It's always encouraging to see someone who has been down and out rise to the challenge and overcome adversity. If Jim Rockford could do it, so can we. I love The Rockford Files!
WZME