The Rockford Files

Tall Woman in Red Wagon

Aired Unknown Oct 11, 1974 on NBC

• Late one night, Jim is shot and hospitalised while digging up a grave to see what lies inside a casket. As he lays in a coma, he recalls the case that led up to this event, where he was hired by a journalist to find her missing friend. An enjoyable tale..

I really enjoyed 'Tall Woman in Red Wagon'. It had an engaging storyline, with lots of fun details, but at the same time wasn't over crammed with *, something which I have found works against a few 'Rockford' episodes.

A few episodes in, and the show feels have very much found it's footing by this point. This is one of the relatively few episodes where neither Rocky, Dennis nor Beth appear, but it doesn't matter one bit (and in fact is barely noticeable), as James Garner carries things on his own more than capably.

I really like the opening, with Jim getting two workmen to illegally dig up a recently buried coffin, to see what is inside. When thugs arrive on the scene, he is shot and spends the episode unconscious, recalling what led up to this event.

Stephen J. Cannell is in my opinion the show's best writer, and he is on true form here, throwing in lots of quirks and nice lines, and telling a very decent tale whilst he's at it.

The only thing I would say - the supposedly beautiful, statuesque redhead that was at the centre of the whole mystery... she actually didn't turn out to be that great looking. I mean that with the greatest of respects to the actress (and she is certainly fair enough looking), but nothing like we are led to believe before we finally meet her!

Anyway, my minor nitpicking aside, a really enjoyable story, with the usual array of nice twists. I give this episode a very favourable 9.5 out of 10.