The Saint Forums

ITV (ended 1969)

What do you think about The Saint?

SimonsHalo

[1]Mar 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    Halo! I'd like to know your opinions on The Saint

Simons Halo xxx
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

paulcornelius

[2]May 23, 2006
    • level: 11
    You had to be there.

mosoly

[3]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 9
    i think it was a good serie. i liked it

froggyyggorf

[4]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 2
    I think it was the best series of it's type, better than Danger Man and The Baron. Much of it's success was down to Roger Moore who played the part extremely well.

keangal

[5]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 6
    I loved it although it was before my time

Bittman

[6]Jun 24, 2007

This show was also before my time, but thank god for syndication & DVD's!! The Saint, especially in earlier seasons had a charm & quality about it. Simon didn't use guns all that much but the show had a way of balancing subtle violence & sexual suggestion. The sets /backdrops are primitive by todays standards but they do the job & convey the necessary ambience. The later Seasons where the show is in full color shows off the cool styles of that time period. I prefer Roger Moore more with this role than any Bond role. Great show!!

tvking1

[7]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 42
    It was a great show, although I wouldn't say it was superior to Dangerman (aka Secret Agent in the U.S.) or The Baron, the latter which I've never seen, but heard of. One thing about Dangerman was that John Drake understood that women had a reason for existing other than his own gratification, making him somewhat of an anomaly among fictional Brit spies. I purchased the last seven episodes of The Saint on sale. The series had a landmark theme tune, though it was a little different in the last season. I've never read any of the books nor have I watched any of the old movies, though I did hear a radio episode from I think the 1940s with Vincent Price in the title role, and it was pretty good.

johnniedoo

[8]Oct 4, 2009

Roger Moore in the Saint role was the archetypal mold of the role after the long cinematic void from the late 30s George Sanders, Vincent Price and others suave Robin Hood type crook. He was a more versatile James Bond. Less prone to kill and more prone to grab a stash or jewels along the way but equal to the cloak and dagger world and doings of the post war spy.

Even the P1800 Volvo he drove was a generation ahead of its stylistic time. He wasnt exactly a pre bond but since he got to play both roles and did them both with aplomb and singularity he brought to roles. I think that version of the saint represented the character intended in the books and made a good connection between the original movies from the thirties/forties and radio shows. When they went color though the plots and general tone of the shows became more farcical and light. Most of the earlier 60s shows were more in the cooler vein more Secret Agent/Danger Man style of direct straight forward good vs evil rather than the late 60s trends toward less sincere more tongue in cheek story lines. I liked them better at first though , at the time, I enjoyed the change over to a more hip saint. And Roger turned out to be more than just a clothes horse. The halo trade mark over his head pretty much said it all about his mission as opposed to DangerMan/Secret Agent Drake who shot things up all the time and was equally as great entertainment. I first watched the saint as it went to the color in Black and White as I didnt have a color tv yet but the change in format was clear and his cleaner act got even more sanitized with wit and bloodless shootings or karate chops. He was really becoming too much of a good guy and the series had about run its course when they took it off the air; which is not to say there wasnt room for more but they had dead ended themselves with the sanitized saint who was virtually a cop rather than the rogue he started off as. There is still no one who came close to getting the role right since Moore. No one fits under the halo yet; like Cinderella's slipper.

Edited on 10/04/2009 1:53am