The Secret Circle Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

I Don't Understand the Parents....

IllyriaRules

[1]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 13

They keep saying that the boat fire happened when the parents were a bunch of teenagers. So are we supposed to believe that 6 different couples, all in high school, all had babies at the same time? Maybe they'll explain it somehow, but it just seems really out there. Does anyone have a "not too spoilery" answer?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

UnholyAngelGirl

[2]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 7
    I may be wrong but i cant remember any mention of how old they were when it happened. Just that it was 16 years ago. Does seem pretty strange though that, as you said, 6 different couples all had kids at the same time. Theres been no mention if the kids are in a different year from each other, but i got the impression they're all in the same year.

I read the books years ago, perhaps time i refreshed my memory. Of course, thats assuming the tv show will stay true to the books.......which hasnt been the case for a lot of other shows (True Blood has similarities with the books but huge differences, Vampire Diaries the only similarties seem to be the characters names)

Tiingeling

[3]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 6
    The parents are confusing.
    All six couples having kids the same year is weird. Maybee it's a circle thing? Having kids of the same age so that they can easily start a new circle? The grandparents generation has one, the parents have one, the kids have one. The parents also seemed to have gone to high school together so they weren't that afar in age either.
    But what confuses me more is the six families. Everyone says there are six families and the circle demans six witches, but the parents seems to not be witch/human pairings, meaning there were more than six witches. Where did the other witches come from? Where there siblings in that generation or something?
    There seem to be some math confusion for this generation.

IllyriaRules

[4]Oct 21, 2011
    • level: 13
    Tiingeling wrote:
    The parents are confusing.
    All six couples having kids the same year is weird. Maybee it's a circle thing? Having kids of the same age so that they can easily start a new circle? The grandparents generation has one, the parents have one, the kids have one. The parents also seemed to have gone to high school together so they weren't that afar in age either.
    But what confuses me more is the six families. Everyone says there are six families and the circle demans six witches, but the parents seems to not be witch/human pairings, meaning there were more than six witches. Where did the other witches come from? Where there siblings in that generation or something?
    There seem to be some math confusion for this generation.

Yeah, the six families is a good point that was also confusing me. In fact, it's probably even more confusing than the Parents' age. But as for ages, they definitely said many times that the parents were "just teenagers" when the fire started...I can't remember if they said high school or not.

Anyone else out there that can help clear this up?

Princess_Pinky

[5]Nov 11, 2011
    • level: 11

IllyriaRules wrote:
    Anyone else out there that can help clear this up?

In an interview with TV Guide (posted on their website yesterday), executive producer Andrew Miller was quoted as saying, "There's history there about [the] kids being born in the same year that we'll start to explore."

So it sounds like it was intentional. Maybe some sort of magical pregnancy pactthing?

LeytonTLA

[6]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 16
    yeah i never even really thought about the fact all the kids and parents are all basically the same age, glad to see they will explore the fact cos that will bug me now! i agree with you^ probably a pregnancy patch or a spell gone wrong in a night of passion

yutg25

[7]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 5

I don't think they were in High School anymore when this happened cuz Jake is supposed to be older that the others cuz his kid brother was the same age as the others. Yeah its probably an error when you think about it. Adam should be a at least a little younger since Ethan would be pining over Cassie Mom at least for a bit.

SlidingKat

[8]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 5
    It is explained in the book. My impression is the show refers to them in high school but than deverts to saying "teenagers" implying they married and had kids at 19