The Secret Circle Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

The Infamous Balcoin medallion Spell what it translates to.

transgenicfilth

[1]Feb 22, 2012
    • level: 4

So I don't know if any of you fellow TSC fans are interested but i translated the spell used for the medallion. I don't know if this has already been done. But this is my version of it.

The Spell he said was : "Ignis dissipare et vallum"

Ignis: Fire

Dissipare: to disappear/to scatter themselves

et: both/and

vallum: palisade, entrenchment, rampart.

Now before you stone me to death this is what the words mean: pallisade:fence of pales or stakes set firmly in the ground, as for enclosure or defense.

any of a number of pales or stakes pointed at the top and set firmly in the ground in a close row with others to form a defense.

entrenchment:an earth breastwork or ditch for protection against enemy fire, fortification

rampart:a broad elevation or mound of earth raised as a fortification around a place and usually capped with a stone or earth parapet.

b.

such an elevation together with the parapet.

anything serving as a bulwark or defense

So basically the spell would be worded loosely like this: "fire disappear and scatter to defend"

That's how i see it

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EmmaBernabei

[2]Mar 17, 2012
    • level: 6

It literally translates "the fire destroys even a wall" which means that fire can destroy every obstacle, even walls.

In latin "et" not only means "and" when used as a conjunction, but it also means "even" when used as an adverb like in this case. Hope it helped !

goleghasedak

[3]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 6
    EmmaBernabei wrote:

It literally translates "the fire destroys even a wall" which means that fire can destroy every obstacle, even walls.

In latin "et" not only means "and" when used as a conjunction, but it also means "even" when used as an adverb like in this case. Hope it helped !

it should be interesting that you can understand the Latin words. supernatural, the vampire diaries, the secret circle and lots of other shows have spells in Latin and I was always curious what they mean!