Return was a good episode though I was expecting it to be more exciting than it was. Seeing the return of John Blackwell was cool and he was an interesting character. I thought he would have powers or be more menacing some how. It was interesting to see him and Cassie interacting and perhaps that he is a different man now than in the past. There was some decent character and plot development. Cassie and Jake seem to get closer against Adam's liking, and Jake and John Blackwell come to an understanding. I certainly look forward to watching more episodes!!!!!!!
This episode was all kinds of awesome. It felt like the actors have settled into their characters fully in this ep. The start was great, middle great, end great. If there was an ep that tipped me over the line for falling for this show then it was this one. Jezabels at the end didnt hurt either.
I really want to love "The Secret Circle" and, the thing is, it always makes me think I'm falling head over Converse for it for a few episodes... and then it throws in an episode that just doesn't work at all (i.e. "Loner" and "Darkness"). But then, after the clunker episode, it comes back with a vengeance with some great episodes (i.e. "Fire/Ice" through "Valentine"). It's a good show. I won't deny it. The best thing the writers could have done is kill Nick Armstrong off and replace him with his unendingly more interesting brother, Jake. Since Nick's death, TSC has become light years better and usually keeps me interested. But this episode just didn't do it for me. After the building and building and building of the John Blackwell character, the actual character is a major disappointment. So let's dive right in, shall we?
*** MAJOR SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT ***
What I Loved/Liked:
1. Faye. This girl basically makes the show for me. My favorite scene of the episode is when Diana calls Faye and tells them she's worried about Melissa and that they should go looking for her, and Faye realizes that she's being a terrible friend by not worrying so puts on her "scared BFF" mask. Phoebe Tonkin is hilarious, perfect for the role, and never ceases to entertain. Another thing I love about Faye is the storyline she currently has with Lee. Which brings me to...
2. Voodoo drug dealers. I'm really loving the Lee/Eva/Callum/Faye/Melissa/voodoo drugs storyline. I'm not sure if I entirely trust Lee yet, even though the ending made it seem as though he had an official change of heart in using Faye to awaken Eva. But, if he isn't up to something, did Eva just wake up on her own? Not sure... But I have a feeling there's more to this story than the writers have been letting on and I can't wait to find out just who this Eva person is and what she's going to contribute to the story. I also really like Callum. He's a skeeze, for sure, but an interesting one. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him, now that he knows that Melissa is a witch.
3. The witch hunters. While they're definitely not the scariest villains to ever be on TV, I much prefer them to demons named "Abbadon" (seriously TSC, are you going to go back and expand on that sometime soon? Hopefully... because it's just a bit of a confusing mess right now). I'm very interested to find out more about this "Eben" and how he was able to use magic if John Blackwell was one-hundred and ten percent positive he's in no way a witch.
What I Didn't Like:
1. The Cassie/Adam/Jake love triangle. While I like all of these characters (even Adam, who I know a lot of people have taken a strong disliking to), especially Cassie, I feel like this triangle isn't being handled very well. And this coming from the people who brought us Vampire Diaries, a show that basically is built upon the basis of the Elena/Stefan/Damon love triangle. I don't know, guys... I feel like this has the potential to be a great triangle, but there just really isn't a lot of emotional attachment for me. For me, there wasn't enough build up for the Cassie and Adam relationship. It just kind of happened. It was just... there. Same with the apparent Cassie/Jake break-up... even though they were never really together. It just... happened. I feel the writers need to do some tweaking and make this stronger for the second season (if it'll still be a story by then, that is).
2. Jane Blake. Seriously, WTF? Does the actress just not want to be on the show anymore? Or do they just think it would be better if Cassie had the house all to herself so she could be put in more dangerous situations? I don't know... and it doesn't matter. It would have been fine if they had brought her back in this episode like it originally seemed like they were going to. But then there was the weird story where Jane apparently had a last-minute change of heart and decided to stay at the clinic... which was... weird. Not really buying it. Sorry, TSC.
3. John Blackwell. What a tremendous disappointment! It's not that the character isn't interesting. He definitely is. But when someone is built up to be, basically, the antichrist... that's what you want when he appears. Not someone who's allegedly reformed. Now, do I buy this reformation? No, of course not. Telling from the promo for the next episode alone, it's at least partly a lie. But still... I wish he would have been a little more... IDK... evil in this episode. I wish some stakes would have been raised. But they weren't. Oh, well. I guess I'll keep to Vampire Diaries for epic introductions.
While I'm not in love, The Secret Circle definitely keeps me hanging on. I won't be giving up anytime soon.
Please read the following before uploading
Do not upload anything which you do not own or are fully licensed to upload. The images should not contain any sexually explicit content, race hatred material or other offensive symbols or images. Remember: Abuse of the TV.com image system may result in you being banned from uploading images or from the entire site – so, play nice and respect the rules!