I finally understood what the REAL goal of this show is!

MaySomeday

[1]May 10, 2011
    • level: 1

First let me start by saying I'm a young adult who likes sex, loves it even.Yet after 15mns of that show, I can't even THINK about sex anymore.

ALL they talk about is sex, who, when, how, and I'm not just talking about the teens but the adults too!! It's like they have no life outside the bedroom, and no working muscles above their waist. These people don't go out, don't have parties, don't have hobbies,or jobs,stay in school just long enough to discuss sex, and go back home. To have sex. Or complain that they're not having sex. Or think about sex.

I always found it extremely weird that the person behind that show was the same as 7th Heaven's, but now I get it. She wants to turn everybody OFF sex. And by golly, it's working. If I had the DVDs and did an all-night "Secret Life" marathon, I'd probably never have sex ever again.

Edited on 05/10/2011 11:53am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aliSuz

[2]May 10, 2011
    • level: 8

Hahahahaha I'm not sure if I agree with you but that is hilarious. You might just be right. Considering on 7th Heaven they wouldn't even say the word sex. They would say "relations". It was the most annoying thing lol. But yeah the way they talk about sex on The Secret Life...it is so ridiculous. I hate this show but I keep watching. It's awful! The show was decent in its 1st season but quickly went downhill. It could have been pretty amazing if they did it right! Now it's just a joke that me and my friends laugh at.

txgirl75

[3]May 10, 2011
    • level: 23
    I stopped watching a year ago then heard Beverley Mitchelle was going to be on it and haven't seen her but for a second. Last night gosh like every 5 minutes oh sex is so great. That Aderin gets on my nerves just bragging about it. Not a real good moral show for teenager. It's likt the show is say8ing it's okay to have sex it's great. After lastnight I think I'm through with this show. Won't complain about 90210 anymorelol.

MaySomeday

[4]May 11, 2011
    • level: 1
    I don't care if they're saying sex is great, that's fine, what bothers me is that they're not saying anything else. Not one thing that was not sex-related has happened on that show in the past year.

chicamusica12

[5]May 12, 2011
    • level: 13
    MaySomeday wrote:
    I don't care if they're saying sex is great, that's fine, what bothers me is that they're not saying anything else. Not one thing that was not sex-related has happened on that show in the past year.

Welcome to the Secret Life of the American Nympho. -___-

aliSuz

[6]May 12, 2011

The show is just ridiculous. It just keeps getting worse. Most of the actors aren't that bad...it's all the unrealistic stuff that happens. I used to like Adrian for being more real but now she's just like the rest of the dumbies.

alirk

[7]May 16, 2011
    • level: 22

I agree the show is completely ridiculous! It's a guilty pleasure for me Tongue out

KamakaLo

[8]May 16, 2011
    OMG still? Why am I not surprised? I haven't caught up yet but will soon but this is so funny lol. Its a guilty pleasure for me as well and I am sure for most people that watch cause who can actually take it seriously? Sure the first season was decent but after that they blew it. I'm glad the other ABC family shows aren't like this.

aliSuz

[9]May 18, 2011

Sadly there are people who take the show seriously. Teens in my little brother's class love the show and think life is bascially like on the secret life if you have a baby...:/

txgirl75

[10]Jun 2, 2011
    • level: 23
    That's one thing I don't like about this show is the message it sends to kids even young ones like 12 and 13 year old. I feel like they are saying sex is so great go for it if you get pregnant get married. I really don't think it gives out a good message for young teens teens period.

alirk

[11]Jun 2, 2011

txgirl75 wrote:
    That's one thing I don't like about this show is the message it sends to kids even young ones like 12 and 13 year old. I feel like they are saying sex is so great go for it if you get pregnant get married. I really don't think it gives out a good message for young teens teens period.

I agree that the message it sends out to kids isn't a particularly good one, but I'm beyond being a "kid" so I can watch the filth without being affected by it! Tongue out

arnoldmcguire

[12]Jul 1, 2011
    • level: 12

I'll agree with the OP's post, because at first it was all about sex, then it expanded to more than just that (Read: less sex scenes from time to time until there's nothing anymore). the episode ...Or Not To Be was one example.

Edited on 07/01/2011 12:29pm

lilfeygirl

[13]Aug 16, 2011
    • level: 2
    I'm 16. I do like the show, but it is quite obvious that this would never occur in real life. If I got pregnant my Freshman year, my mom would beat the daylights out of that boy. She wouldn't want him going near me. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want him near me either. But surely enough, I'm abstinent and I have no intentions on doing anything stupid like on the show. (Cough cough Grace). The really do talk about sex frequently and even sometimes I see those little hints out to the audience about the consequences about sex. I don't think of it as a show that could possibly be reality, I just take it in as entertainment.

AlisonMelton

[14]Sep 8, 2011
    • level: 3

OH MY GOSH. I TOTALLY agree with you. Everything they do in this show revolves around sex. Even the adults act like kids. I could only watch the first season without getting annoyed.

DiamondLights

[15]Sep 11, 2011
    Actually, I'd have to say that this past season actually was bear able. Sex wasn't the main focus of the show and it wasn't said as much. Looking back at it, I'd even say that this past season was one of the best. If only the show could've been this good from the start...

sallenj

[16]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 16

DL, I just have to say, I LOVE your new take on the serenity prayer!!

About the topic of the thread, I don't really think that's it, but it's an interesting take on things. Since everyone else is giving their history of watching the show, here's mine: I started out watching the show in the first season, simply because I was a 7th Heaven fan, and this was Brenda Hampton's next project. Of course, it was soon apparent, this show was no 7th Heaven. It was hard to believe the same mind was behind both shows. Still, I got hooked, and watched untill the first season mid season break. Then, i just didn't pick it up again afterwards. I've checked back periodically, especially when I heard that 7th Heaven alums Beverley Mitchell and Mackenzie Rosman were joining the cast/doing guest stints. But those periodic check ins only reconfirmed for me why I quit watching in the first place.

I do agree, the plotting on the show bears no resemblance whatsoever to reality, the characters are thin, and the overall tone sends a hugely destructive message to teens--particularly teen girls--who I think are its primary audience target demographic. So, less than good.

methadvocate

[17]Nov 3, 2011
    • level: 10

txgirl75 wrote:

Totally agree. Speaking as someone who was once a young lady that had sex at an early age and enjoyed it, I cant even imagine watching this show back then! (back in the 80's, ok? Yes, I realize I'm one-foot-in-the-grave to the young people here) This show is something I would never allow my own children to even watch! And I don't just mean my 13 year-old. I watched the first season with my 15 year old, and it wasn't too bad the first season, but that was it. From Season two on, I was appalled, and my now-16-year-old didn't need to be asked not to watch it, she didn't WANT to watch it! This has turned into such a terrible show, I can't believe it's still on.