The Secret Life of Us

Network Ten (ended 2005)

The Secret Life of Us Fan Reviews (4)

• That's really great show.If you haven't yet seen it then you don't know what you're missing.

The Secret Life of Us was a series which featured many of Australia's greatest actors.The story lines were great and every 20 something man and woman can relate to it.I think that the show was great until series 3 which was a bit of disappointment, that many actors left in that series.However,it was stil good.Also,the story lines in series 2 and series 3 featured characters who were doing what their partner did in season 1 such as Gabrielle who had an affair with a married man in series 2 just like Jason (her husband)who had an affair with Alex in series 1,also Richie becoming gay in series 1 and Miranda who went out with him in series 1 also became gay in series 3.I think that the series should have ended after series 3 because it was still really good although it went downhill in that series.Series 4 was a disappointment, to the fans since many new characters were added and there was no explanation of what happened to the characters who left. However, there were some good episodes and story lines such as Kelly is finally finds herself happy with Corey and Simon is seen a bit more than usual which is really good because I think he was a great character.
  • The first season was by far the best!

The Secret Life of Us told us the stories of a bunch of 20-somethings living in the Melbourne suburb of St Kilda. Like a lot of Aussie shows, it suffered cast changes especially in the latter seasons and as a result, it's ratings didn't do too well. But the first two seasons were when the show was at it's best, starring actors like Samuel Johnson (as Evan Wylde), Claudia Carvan (Alex Christensen) and Deborah Mailman (Kelly Lewis). As well as some of the great story lines, it had a great Aussie soundtrack, with bands/singers such as Motor Ace (their song "Death Defy" was the opening theme song), Paul Kelly, Eskimo Joe and Crowded House.
  • Good Aussie show that mixed drama, comedy and a terrific soundtrack by australian bands. It has been somewhat unfairly described as a mixture of "This Life" and "Sex and the city", but it existed in a space very much of its own making.

The Secret Life of Us is about a group of friends (and their lovers and hanger-ons and stalkers and relatives) in their 20s to early 30s living a hedonistic kind of life in Melbourne's beach suburb of St. Kilda.

The script had some serious points to make, especially in the first season - but it allowed the character's to do it with clever dialogue, almost always tongue-in cheek and getting away with entertaining us but getting the serious issues dealt with across.

The soundtrack (all-Australian and virtually unknown elsewhere) was a plus. Broadly it fell into the indie/alternative labels but comprising a variety of sub-genres.

The acting was very good, even more so considering that some of the players had little previous experience of dramatic work.

As was perhaps inevitable the show deteriorated after successive members of the original cast left. The second season was still good, but the final ones are a very different kettle of fish.

Still I was completely taken by the first episode and stayed in that state of rapture for long - hence my score.
    Later on I admit I may have skipped a couple of episodes but I wanted to keep the best memories possible - and I did.
  • A classic Aussie Drama

So many Australian dramas have tried and failed recently, but Secret Life has lasted for 4 seasons.

The characters are a bunch of 20 somethings
    who live in St Kilda in an apartment building together.

Obviously relationships are a big factor, with cheating and all the usual "drama show" stuff, but the storylines are well written and the actors deliver great performances which really make Secret Life a stand out.

The one problem I have with this show is that it was like a revolving door with the actors. By the end I think there were only 2 characters (Kelly and Simon) who were there since the start.