The Sentinel

The Sentinel by Blair Sandburg

Aired Unknown May 24, 1999 on UPN

• The show ended much too soon, but if it had to end, at least they gave us a resolution for much of what had come before.

When Blair Sandburg was left dead at the end of season three, we thought it was only a cliffhanger. When UPN cancelled the series with no warning, the fans were outraged and campaigned for another season and for the return of Blair. The writers got to make the second part of the cliffhanger and we got another half season before the show was ended for good.

This episode was the final one and is one of my all time favorites. Angsty and emotional, it goes through the ups and downs of parental interferance, the pushy nature of the press and the reality of people who will do anything to get what they want. More than anything, though, this episode brings to the forefront the reality of true, deep felt friendship - that kind that you rarely find and seldom treasure to it\'s true worth. It\'s said, there is no greater love than that a man lay down his life for a friend. Well, in this episode, Blair Sandburg does just that. He declares himself a fraud, denouces his life\'s work and shames himself publically to protect the man that has offered him friendship and the first real home he\'s ever known.

Garett Maggart gives an amazing performance as he explores the shock, horror betrayal and finally the realization of what he has and wants with grace and skill. The big scene - the press conference - is acted with all the emotion and ability that one would expect from such a skilled actor. Even after 10 years, that scene can still bring a lump to my throat. The scene following it, where Jim Ellison (Richard Burgi) finds Blair and tells him that he saw the press conference is one of the most emotional the pair has ever had. There are so few words and yet it is a fully charged moment that draws you in and holds on tight.

The wonderful wrap up at the end gives us all the resolution we could have hoped for given the unfortunate decisions by UPN.