The Shield

Co-Pilot

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 04, 2003 on FX

• A Missed Opportunity

A chance to highlight the origin of our characters instead becomes a repeat of the pilot, pretty much telling us things we already know. While the first day of the Barn isn't a bad focal point, it's one we've pretty much already covered. Sure, there are a few nice tidbits, like Aceveda and Vic's first meeting and how the Strike Team went dirty, but the best part of the episode is seeing Vic and Shane dressed up in suits and doing straight detective work. Rather than an origin story, Co-pilot seems like the pilot that got thrown out in favor of just dropping us into the action and letting us sink or swim. And yes, it breaks a few assumptions like how long Danny and Vic knew each other or how Claudette and Dutch first started working together, but I wanted to go further back and see these characters before they were thrown together. What was Aceveda doing? What was Dutch doing? Why would someone like Dutch throw himself into the dirtiest part of LA? Is it for fame? Career advancement? If anything, the episode feels more like a class reunion as Rondell, Connie, and Terry all rise from the grave to make another appearance. Hopefully, the writers will try this again and we'll get to see Lem one last time and get a better understanding of all our characters that this episode doesn't provide.