The Shield

Co-Pilot

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 04, 2003 on FX

• This ep aired at an unfortunate time, smack-dab in the middle of a momentum-building Season 2, so it's understandably low-rated by fans. But, if one can get past that, it's a fine episode in its own right.

This episode, ostensibly a companion piece to the pilot, reveals the origin of the Barn and the Strike Team. In cleverly retrofitted scenes, we witness the formation of the Strike Team, Vic and Aceveda's first run-in, and the Team's first transgression. We also see the importance of Vic and Gilroy's friendship in helping Vic get the job running Strike Team. Connie does her first solid for Vic, and Rondell begins his C.I. relationship with the Team.

We meet Danny and Julien, learning a little about each of them (including Julien's proclivities) and we see Dutch and Claudette discover that they make good partners.

This was a very good episode. I only have two complaints: One, the timing- I really didn't want a flashback episode now, when the action is really cookin' in the main storylines. Two, the writers seemed to be so anxious to squeeze in all of the characters that some of the backstories felt rushed, facile or skimped on. And that's a shame, given the richness of these characters. I wish they had taken more time.

Oh, well, back to the money train. And, how the hell is Ronnie doing, anyway?...