The Shield

Family Meeting

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Nov 25, 2008 on FX

• This episode is a master-piece

God what an episode... Incredible.

So well done, so well acted.

And the ending credits? Never seen that in my life. Every time I see it, I want immediately to watch it again from season 1. Weird, I don't know how they did that, but it's pretty amazing.
  • The seventh season, and the series, ends with an episode which shows the final fate of all of the show's main characters and delivers a finale that won't soon be forgotten.

"The Shield" has delivered one of the best series finales in all of television history. This is the finale "The Sopranos" should have delivered. There are a number of positive points about this episode. Excellent performances, well written scripts and great suspense. I also like that there are no loose ends here. All stories, whether they be cases or the fates of individual characters, are brought to a plausible conclusion. In the end, I have mixed feelings about Vic. I actually found myself feeling a little sorry for him, but on the other hand, he didn't deserve to get away.
  • Great finale. One of the greatest ever for a great show. CCH Pounder was right. Vic Mackey got exactly what he deserved.

This was an absolute perfect way to end the series. At first I was disappointed with how it ended but after thinking about it, it couldn't be more fitting.

Vic Mackey is not going to jail, going to die, going anywhere for that matter. That's right, he's ICE's slave doing a desk job that is worse than prison and death. It also shows what he has become. While he spent the entire series trying to protect his family, his team and his loved ones, he lost all of them in the process and now he's alone with nothing but a boring job at a department where he is viewed as a simple outcast.

Shane oh Shane. I guess it had to end this way for you. Shocking ending for him but yet it was going to happen. Did you have to take Mara and Jackson with you?

Ronnie should not have gotten his punnishment. He was the most loyal of the strike team and especially to Vic and this is how it ends for him. Brillant acting for David Rees Snell. When you saw the uni's drag him away from Vic, you could see the rage and anger and pain coming from him realizing that the person he would sell his soul for sold him out.

Claudette and Vic's confrontation with Shane's aftermath was intense and without much conversation. Great acting for CCH Pounder and Michael Chiklis.

Dutch, what becomes of him now? The whole Lloyd/Rita/Dutch triangle didn't seem like it got resolved but it did give an idea of where it's heading.

This show has been one of the very few things I looked forward too since it came on. Now that it's over, TV will not be as exciting for a long time.

Shawn Ryan, thank you for giving us the 7 best seasons of television that I could ask for. You and your team of writers and production members deserve praise and a ton of gold to take home.
  • Not the way to finish that show.

I watched this episode, and how Vic bails on the immunity deal, all hyped in anticipation of what's gonna follow next. Seriously, had no idea this was the last episode, and for a good reason - it didn't feel like it! Months later, when I realized this was it, I looked back, and I just don't see how you end such a show of gory rule breaking with such a bleak finale. My anticipation was washed away with wave of disappointment and near anger. Come on, after 7 years of promises that Vic is either gonna get caught, get himself killed, or settle deep in Mexico with a big wad of cash, and no conclusion whatsoever. This wouldn't even look good on a season finale. All this these years I was literally held on the tip of my chair, trying to come up with possibilities of how are these guys going to weasel themselves out from this one, and who will have to die for it, and who will have to get betrayed. Look, OK, I'm not begging for a happy ending (which, granted, in this show is not at all obvious), but give me some closure! Let me see him get hammered, or get away yet again, don't leave me hanging dry.
  • In the end the show achieved what it intended: it felt real and gritty. It was like a Strike Team shakedown punch to the gut of the audience. (spoilers!)

This was one of the few endings of a TV series that I actually liked. It fit with the heart of the series and punched the audience in the gut like a Strike Team shakedown. It had a great balance of tying up story lines, while still shocking us and making us face the possibilities of how dark our own souls could get if faced with the situations the characters in the show faced. I will never use the term "Family Meeting" again, that is for sure! Shane walked the edge and fell on the dark side we always knew he would, while making the audience actually feel for him before the end. Walton Goggins proved his wealth of talent the past few seasons by taking his dumb hillbilly character to a deep and complicated place. I hope he has a long and successful career after his brilliance in this show.

This episode was a great combination of all of the things that made this series so great: brilliant, layered writing; strong characters; amazing acting; and an ability to show how the dark side of humanity is right there next to us all the time. The scene with Claudette and Vic and the reading of Shane's note was exceptional with Vic not having to say a word, just like his last scene stuck in cubicle hell with pictures of the past his only companions - respect, friends, family, his balls - all things taken from him. It was like watching an amazing big screen actor commanding the camera with their face a clear window to the soul of their character.

Vic's family found peace in the end in the only way we knew was possible - in a life without Vic. The fact he did not get to say goodbye was a fitting slap in the face for a man who gave lip-service to being a caring father but in the end could never be a man they could respect or feel safe around.

In the end we were shown that Vic was ultimately a selfish creature, as he ended up with just himself - the ultimate reward of the selfish.

I will miss the grit, the rule breaking, the eye into the underworld in a realistic way that the show provided, and lament the gutless TV drivel we are being spoon-fed now with no real characters that doesn't push boundaries or force us to look at ourselves and society critically. My utmost respect and thanks to all of the cast, crew and writers of The Shield. This show has left a mark on me, just like one of Vic's "interrogations".
  • No state immunity for Vic

Gotta chime in on the Vic Mackey "immunity" thing. I'm a long-time viewer. The ICE immunity angle is completely bogus/whacked. The feds cannot grant immunity from prosecution for state crimes. Mackey would still be subject to prosecution by the state. Bad writing, ICE immunity a poorly conceived premise but good/great acting. I thought David Rees Snell's performance was noteworthy: in the finale, he showed stress/frustration over things falling apart, renewed hope/optimism, grief/regret, and, ultimately, rage (at Vic). Also: looks like is the new Big Man On Campus, including with Danni. But did I mention that the feds cannot grant the immunity that the writers would have us swallow?
  • The Shield ends :(

So finally, I`ve got to watch the very last episode of this awesome AWESOME show. If I could describe this series finale in a word, it`s depressing. Seriously, it was indeed painful to watch but not because it was bad...because it was sad while right.
    7 seasons comes down to this episode. Those 7 seasons were quality TV to say the least and add to that the previous episode is among the best of the entire show, so big time hype for the finale. It did delivered. It was shocking, intense and very very emotional. -Shane committing suicide was obvious. He reached the bottom. His situation was beyond desperate. All his scenes with Mara and the kid shows it. However, it may be predictable, it still was shocking. He killed Mara and the kid (which don`t make sense, he was innocent). This whole scenery in that silence was so tensed, creepy...nearly disturbing. Perfect way to end Shane. I hate him for killing Lem. I wanted him to get some big time beating. But in the end, I felt sorry for him. Walton Goggins has put some amazing performance in the last 3 seasons.
    -On to Mr. Vic Mackey who took one of his most controversial decision in the previous episode by turning on his loyal friend Ronnie. Vic`s decision is similar to Shane`s decision to kill Lem. Sure, he didn`t pull a grenade on Ronnie but sent him to Anton land....probably to a certain death...or worse. He looses everything in this. Many people speculated about Vic going to jail or dying or going to Mexico. The writers found another way to end the Vic Mackey story. He does get away with it but he has nothing. No friends, no family, no respect, no purpose, absolutely nothing.... trap doing office work, something he hates for people who hate him. His situation is really pathetic. He only has some photos to care about (Nice to see Lem but he forgot Ronnie). It was funny to see him in a suit like this but it`s sad in the end. He gets his gun at last, possibly meaning Vic Mackey remains Vic Mackey. Michael Chiklis silent acting was brilliant.
    -Ronnie. Ronnie is another tragic story. He is the the strike team member to go down legally...he will pay for everything. Often described as the smartest of the team......he goes down, betrayed by Vic. It was heart breaking really. I didn`t want to see him go like this. He remained loyal till the end. Felt sorry for him, even if he is guilty. I would have loved to see Vic visit Ronnie in prison asking for forgiveness.
    -Claudette. I`m not a big fan of the character but CCH Pounder always out some stellar performance there is no exception here. Her fate is pretty much sealed, she is sick and will die soon. It was sad to see her admit that to Dutch. Claudette was in one of the most significant, intense and important scene of the entire series. I`m talking about her confrontation with Vic in the interrogation room. Shane`s suicide note was touching and so true (minus Mara`s innocence). The acting here was TOP NOTCH. Pounder did great as always; Vic didn`t say a word.. Michael Chiklis was superb. That scene was wow.. heartbreaking and so important. Real tearjerker to see Shane `s pics.
    -Dutch. Here is a minor dissapointment. I find that teenager story quite interesting but in the end we never got to see him admit his crimes.
    -The others-So that guy who wanted to be mayor was a kind of comic relief I guess in that depressing atmosphere but he too had a heartbreaking ending.
    -Aceveda had little screen time, too little for a major character. But he gets a happy ending..he is going to be mayor.
    -Tina had decent amount of time. Dani apart from being the first person to see shane dead and to have the last word of the show was pretty much ignored..same for Jullian. We didn`t hear from Pezula. Anton Mitchell would have been interesing too given Ronnie`s situation. Would have LOVED a Forest Whitaker cameo... Jon Kavanaugh`s damages where fatal to the strike team.

Overall, it was probably the right and perfect ending to this amazing show but all in all, it was very depressing. Movie? I don`t want them to ruin this. But I guess there`s room for some more stories but still I`d want a movie ONLY if they can keep this kind of quality.
    Season 7 started slowly but the last couple of episodes were amazing..among the best of the entire series. Season 5 still remains the best season for me. Parricide and of Mice and Lem are a tie for the best episode IMO.

Anyway, hats off to Shawn Ryan, the other writers, this amazing cast and everyone else, that was one hell of a ride. Great show...I shall never forget.
  • Superb job by all concerned

The final installment of THE SHIELD is nothing less than superb. No, not all the storylines are neatly tied up, but that is not necessary. In a show like this, the plot doesn't wrap at the end of the hour; the guilty man doesn't stand up in court and confess; the regulars don't Learn a Valuable Lesson About Life and hug. This is THE SHIELD, the grittiest, most real cop show to ever hit the small screen, and its purpose is to provide the very best storytelling possible. I won't give away any spoilers, because if you haven't seen this denouement, you MUST. Things go "sideways", as the characters in THE SHIELD are fond of saying. Events hardly ever proceed the way the characters think they will or should, just like in life. The best-laid plans of mice and men. . .

Shawn Ryan and the writers worked hard on this season, to make sure that the ending would be proper, and somehow inevitable. The cast, led by Michael Chiklis, Walton Goggins, Jay Karnes and the wonderful C.C.H. Pounder give every ounce of blood to make it all come alive. And the end games which are given to most of the cast are heartbreaking, satisfying, depressing, hopeful and beautifully realized.
  • When this show is at its best it is really hard to beat

So the end of one of the greatest shows on television and they got the most important aspect of the show right, the end. Most shows seem to rush the end and we don't feel fulfilled after having sat through so many episodes. But wow this episode was all that I could ask for. Getting near the end you knew it was never going to be a happy ending. It showed how far the characters had gone and showed that even Vic who throughout would never let the strike team members suffer, lose all decency by letting Ronnie take the whole force of their actions on him. Also the suicide note that Shane left was hard hitting. It was true that it was them as a unit that were genuinely scary and seperately they were bad people but not to quite the same level. I wish all shows were as good as the Shield but thank you to the writing staff and actors for the last 7 seasons. Brilliant end to a brilliant show.
  • Not the best, but it had some great moments.

In short, I think the end of the show was, while wonderfully acted, out of character for the show. Yes, it definitely was a 'real' ending, in that it tied up the general plot of the show, with the major characters having resolved plot lines. My problem lies more in the final season than the final episode. The ICE unit causes me much heart ache. It, and the preposterous(in my opinion) immunity deal seemed contrived to get to the end that the writers decided they wanted. What JOB gives blind immunity? I know, I know, Vic 'tricked' them into it. I would have like pretty much any ending with the effort everyone on the show gives. No matter who died or didn't or who went to jail or not, as long as it wasn't way over the top, I'd be good with it. Luckily it wasn't over the top, just a little 'off' for me. Also, I must say, Walton Goggins is unbelievable(in a good way)! The Shield acting in general is almost always top notch. Shane's 'end' was a slight bit weird for me because I couldn't help think of Chris Benoit and the murder-suicide situation wonder if it influenced that scene at all.
  • So sad it had to end this way :(

Nothing special in the end. But Shield always feels somewhere near my heart, not happy with the last episode. But do you always have to be happy, so that episode is perfect. Don't think so. So The shield is always perfect. In the last episode we had everything, slow motion, big bust, Claudette's victory plus much more. And still I was left feeling bad. It's weird how some show can effect you. And after The shield is out of picture there really isn't any shows that could make you feel anything. I also doubt that there ever will be anything like Family meeting.
  • Sublime. Don't let anyone spoil it for you. Experience it for yourself.

Sublime, perfect, wonderful, satisfying, marvelous, extraordinary, brilliant, flawless, exciting, excellent, awesome, breathtaking, breathless, superb, ultimate, supreme, majestic, astonishing, et cetera, et cetera… **sigh** Really, the best conclusion to a series that I can remember.

If you haven't seen The Shield, do yourself a favor and watch it from the beginning. You will be richly rewarded. This is TV at it's best. The characters are strong and complex. Their world is dark, dangerous and messy. Detective Vic Mackey, brilliantly played by Michael Chiklis, will leave you breathless. **sigh**

It was so good the first time through, now that I know how it ends, I'm will probably never watch it again.

Don't let anyone spoil it for you. Experience it for yourself.

• SPECIAL REVIEW: Brilliant conclusion to a stellar show.

Last month FX closed the book on its flagship program The Shield. For six years, seven seasons or 88 episodes, The Shield told an epic tragedy of a team of dirty cops fighting and committing crime in an area of LA overpopulated by gangs and drug dealers and how their extracurricular activities lead their downfall. While many series' final episodes tend to be disappointing, if a viewer sticks around that long in some cases, The Shield was riveting to the very end.

The finale was a brutal realization of the tragedies that have been building since the first episode. Fans have wondered whether Vic would get killed, go to prison or eat a bullet in the final chapter for his crimes. Instead, Shawn Ryan plotted something cleverer. Mackey, having confessed all of his sins, got a full immunity deal from the feds. However, it turns out the job he agreed to serve for immunity is a metaphorical hell, a desk job where you label your lunches and have to deal with an army of Bill Lumberghs (Mackey would rather take his chances with the worst of LA's gangs no doubt) and will never do field work in his tenure. Also, his wife agreed to turn state's witness and is now under witness protection (finale director Clark Johnson cameos as the agent showing her and her kids the new digs), leaving all traces of his life destroyed.

This is brought home in that amazing final scene. In the dialogue free last five minutes, Mackey dwells in his office surrounded by fluorescent light (killed every night at 6 unless he calls up and tells them he's working late) and pictures of his children and Lem, the Strike Team member who never betrayed or was betrayed by Mackey. His glory days of breaking down doors are over and the closest he'll get to that again is seeing patrol cars from many stories up. He is free from prosecution, but he has lost everything that made him fight to stay free. Absolutely brilliant.

Speaking of brilliant, Walton Goggins, along with Chiklis and CCH Pounder, needs to be nominated for an Emmy for his work (should be a great race between him and the Michael Emerson/Terry O'Quinn dream team on Lost). He's always been good, but ever since Lem's murder at the end of season five he's been a revelation. His story in these final episodes, on the run with his pregnant wife and child, has been increasingly heartbreaking. Their hiding took increasingly heavy tolls, between losing their cash and Mara killing a woman, thereby assuring her a place in jail and Jackson a spot in foster care if they get caught. The moment where Shane helps Mara use the toilet (she had broken her collar bone in a fight) while Jackson, oblivious to the tragedy unfolding, plays in the tub, was sad, but didn't compare to when Shane learned his last piece of leverage, the confessional of all of the Strike Team's dirty deeds, was negated by Vic's deal. With nothing left, Shane's story was on a collision course with horrifying tragedy.

Shane's "family meeting" (where the episode title comes from) is chilling from the moment he says those fateful words. Killing his wife and son to keep them from facing the consequences for his actions and doing himself in before he can finish the suicide note was a shocking moment. It The Shield has never shied away from dark territory, but this was unbelievable, yet so true to the show's world and those characters. When we saw Mara and Jackson lying peacefully across the hall from where Shane shot himself, there were no words necessary, mostly because my jaw was on the floor.

Shane's death, while motivated by it, negates the importance of Vic's immunity deal. However, it makes the tragedy all the more potent, especially with the arrest of Ronnie, the last Strike Team member standing. Ronnie, while a favorite among my friends who watched the show, was until Lem's death the Zeppo of the Strike Team, acting more to serve the story than to develop his own character. This element makes him the perfect candidate to take the fall for everything the Strike Team did in those three years. Not to mention Ronnie's arrest shows a true compromise in one of Vic's chief tenants: loyalty to his team.

On other fronts, Claudette's facing mortality as she's no longer getting treatment for her lupus, choosing to come to work every day "until [she doesn't]". Claudette has always stood as the conscience of the Barn, one of the few characters whose character was unquestionably good. With the Strike Team gone, there's no need for that counter, although they don't go the obvious route and kill her off in this episode.

In a final season filled with guest stars popping up for one more appearance, Outkast rapper Andre Benjamin returned as Robert Huggins, former store owner vigilante turned mayoral candidate running on the promise of a "new paradigm". He is an open challenger to David Aceveda, although how much of a chance he stood is presumed small. His assassination at the end of the episode could be taken as a blow to the hope Farmington has towards some kind of peace, but Tina, who arrests him at one of his illegal rallies, shows her support as his heart stops.

As the Strike Team is expelled from the Barn and Claudette stands before mortality, there are the rookies filling in their place, with Danny and Julien serving as teachers. Several stories also don't get closure that's expected. Dutch's season long crusade to corner burgeoning serial killer Lloyd, brought back thanks to his "missing" mother, isn't resolved. Her body isn't even found. That the viewer knows well that Lloyd killed her is enough in this case. Julien's latent homosexuality, which has been long dormant, is revisited as he sees a happy gay couple enter a restaurant: enjoying the life his beliefs won't allow him to, but it isn't given more screen time than that. While this open ended resolution might've been frustrating, it's played well enough to leave us to our own conclusions as to their futures.

Some viewers are theorizing that Dutch, in a desperate attempt to nail Lloyd, killed Rita and framed him. There are also people who suspect Aceveda put the hit on Huggins. I doubt either scenario. It's not unusual for Dutch to get engrossed in a case, but to kill someone is going too far. For the latter, I don't see what Aceveda has to gain by killing Huggins. If this were real, Huggins would likely be a Ralph Nader-esque third party candidate with no real threat. Really Huggins was there to show what a shell of a politician Aceveda's become.

Overall, this finale was a stellar cap for one of TV's finest cop shows. The major stories get wrapped up, but enough is left open for a proper "life goes on" motif. Even though Vic will get by the three year tenure for his immunity and pursue some type of private security/vigilantism afterwards no doubt (him tucking the gun in shows he's not completely castrated by his new job), that his life he protected is no longer there is a brilliant way to have a tragic ending without copping out at all. This is one of the best finales I've ever seen, period.
  • A superb ending to a superb tv show

Most people were expecting Vic to get shot and/or arrested, but this was by far the worst way it could have gone for Vic. I actually felt sorry for Shane and family and was absolutely gutted for Ronnie. I will miss this show as it had some of the best characters any show has had. Even though Vic was as corrupt as they can get, he still had his heart in the right place, putting scum away and putting his family first above all. I was disappointed that he let Ronnie down, I was hoping Ronnie would get to Mexico somehow.
    To conclude, the best show, best writing, best acting, best cinematography, best everything... I am certain this will win many awards this coming year. So long Vic.
  • A brilliant ending to a fantastic 7 year run. Shawn Ryan has brought one of the best shows on tv to the best ending one could ask for.

With 7 years worth of great memories of this show, it is hard to pick out my favorites but here goes:

The conclusion and the ends each of the primary characters meet in "Family Meeting" were exactly as I had hoped. Jackson did not deserve to die but the life he would have led being Shane's son may have been much worse. Ronnie deserved better than he got from Vic and his distress at being betrayed by him was one of the most moving parts of the episode. Shane, Shane, Shane............was it ever really going to end any other way for you? The die was cast the moment you killed Lem. There was no coming back from that.

The death of Lem was a poignant reminder that despite their bonds, the Strike Team members were each always looking out for number 1.

Claudette and Dutch truly do complete each other and you can see that he is going to stay with her till the very end. Shawn Ryan did an excellent job with Vic's punishment. A fate worse than death for an animal like him but from all appearances, he still hasn't learnt his lesson. Taking his family away from him and forcing him to work a desk job may in time teach him some humanity..........but I doubt it.

One of the greatest episodes of one of the best shows on tv for the last 7 years. I hope their are Emmy's to follow for a lot of the cast.
  • The perfect ending to one of the greatest shows to grace television.

After I was done watching this episode, I simply sat there in shock at what I had just seen. Not necessarily because I was surprised at what had happened, but because everything was finally over. Seven seasons later, and Vic Mackey finally receives his "punishment."

Shawn Ryan seemed to really go above and beyond with this episode. Everything from the writing to the directing and of course the ACTING. He tied everything together in a finale that enabled us, as the audience, to be satisfied. It's hard to please everybody with a series finale, as each person seems to have a different idea as to how it ends, but I think Ryan did an incredible job here. The episode was filled with moments that will stick in your mind as some of the most incredible scenes from the series (in some cases, all of television). Shane calling his family into the room ("Family meeting!") was chilling enough by itself, and after seeing the aftermath of that statement, his families' dead bodies on the bed and him with a bullet in his head, it takes on an even more sinister meaning. Shane's suicide came out of nowhere for me, and it left me sitting there shocked. The episode was also filled with incredible dialogue. My favorite was the one with Wyms and Vic sitting in the interrogation room as she reads Shane's suicide note. The note, for me, was one of the best pieces of dialogue in all of television. It perfectly summed up the Strike Team relationship, how Vic was the leader, and everybody else was the follower, yet none of them were more guilty then the other. The final line, where Shane writes, "I wish I had never met him." gave me chills. Earlier in the episode, Wyms also talked to Dutch about her illness, and that was also well written. If CCH Pounder doesn't win an award, let alone get nominated for her performance in this season, I'll have lost faith in the Emmy's ability to recognize acting at its greatest.

My mind's still so jumbled from this episode that most of this review came off sort of confusing.. but the fact that the finale was able to create this much discussion and questioning is a true testament to its power. Thank you, Shawn Ryan and the rest of the writers/directors, for delivering seven seasons of the most consistently entertaining and incredible television.
  • A groundbreaking show leaves you the way it started: breathless.

The series finale of THE SHIELD isn't just the best episode the series has produced - it is one of the finest episodes of television I have ever seen.

I can't remember the last time a series ended this well. I just know that series creator Shawn Ryan has brought this 7 year roller coaster to a stirring and fitting conclusion. Most importantly, Ryan didn't focus on what the fans wanted. Instead, Ryan remembered why each of these characters matter, what they stand for, and gave his characters both what they needed and what they deserved. Additionally, Ryan understands the futility of big speeches and morality tales. Like the best of writers and filmmakers he just presents the situation to the viewers and characters and lets us make our own decisions. It's hard to believe such a landmark television series is over. But it ended perfectly: knwoing when it was time to go and how to walk out the door. Outstanding.
  • An absolutely emotional ride. Not just this episode but the past 7 years.

My belief is that the ending symbolised that Vic had been stripped of everything he held dear...both his real family and his metaphorical one (the team, which he fought so hard to keep) and a cage was finally around him. But as they say, what doesn't kill you (Jail/Death) makes you stronger (Vic going off to "do his thing"). He had a PI find his family once (Season 2) so he can certainly do it again.

I feel all the stories ran to a very good natural conclusion.

I'm disappointed that Aceveda got so little screen time, especially after his character seemed to take centre stage late on in Season 6 and earlier this season after several low profile seasons for him;
    but his role made sense and I liked his final scene with Claudette in the Captain's office as she proved that she was the one who finally cleaned up the barn despite the fact that he would be the overall
    victor by becoming mayor.

After reading various Shawn Ryan interviews online, I understand why an end to Julien's story wasn't more prominently featured but it would've been nice to have given him more focus as his character
    tailed off after Season 3.

Whilst it would've been nice if Lloyd had confessed, I feel that we saw the best of the Claudette/Dutch team one last time...always a high-point of this show.

I'm disappointed that Dani didn't really do anything in the final episodes. I would've thought that she should have been written out altogether when she tried to run from Vic earlier in the season rather than coming back to do very little.

The respective ends to the 3 former teammates all made sense from varying perspectives. Ronnie, who was always the "supporting player" in the Strike Team operations was the one who took the fall for
    everything. Shane was left as a man with nothing to lose and just wanted to escape and be with his family and Vic, as i've already said was stripped of everything and forced to start again.

All in all, a fitting end to one of my favourite shows. One which I am sorry to see end, but I do feel that every intertwining thread from the last 7 years was either tied up or straightened out to carry
    on.

I can only finish by saying Thank You to every single person involved in The Shield for bringing us all seven remarkable, dramatic and emotional years of entertainment which is the greatest legacy any TV
    show can hope for.
  • The wheels were of for Strike Team for two whole seasons already. Now it was time for them to finally hit the ground. It was delivered in great fashion, very entertaining episode and fitting finale.

6th season of The Shield was in my opinion tv at it best. Creators had tools and characters already built with extensive psychology and long history. 7th almost matched it.

Big parts of the outcome were unfortunately settled pretty soon, but I still like it much more for a show to keep consistency - than artifically freeze all relevant choices until last episode. Shane was a lost cause through almost all of this season. Also it would be impossible for Vic to completely slip through, while also his death was improbable. Roney's fate was biggest question for me.

However even though the plot was in general predictable it was consequent with previous events and characters psychology so it was still fine. Emphasis shiftet, for me, from "what" to "how" and to specyfics and details. Well I'm not dissapointed in the least. It was definately worth watching, I've enjoyed season 7 and will check projects undertaken by The Shield's writers in the future.

As for the finale - it was very good. It was executed with style (also it was ... an execution of strike team). Loose ends were tied and story finished, but it was still outstanding episode in itself.
    Spoiler alert: I really, really liked last scenes with Vic. From the moment Vic was left alone in interrogation room of the Barn until him leaving the office - it was as he could just reach for the gun and blow his brains on the wall every second. He didn't but it was "right" too. Vic is after all, a survivor.
  • The series comes to an end and seals the fate of the main characters in a completely satisfying finale.

It's such a rarity that a show draws us in like "The Shield" did and makes us both cheer for the "hero" while cringing at the things he does. What an incredible ride. (Thanks Shawn Ryan.) This show is at the top of the list with "Homicide" as one of the best shows in television history. In the end, Vic got what he deserved: the important people in his life gone, hated by those still alive, never to see his children, and chained to a desk. Shane had no other choice, and Ronnie was sold out to pay a huge price. Now all I want to do it get out my "Shield" DVDs and start all over again from season 1. What the heck-I'm on vacation….
  • Case closed.

I began watching the shield almost a year before season 6 began, and this painful finale is more heartbreaking and amazing than almost anything I've ever had, I can't yet imagine the enormity after this for those who've stuck with it since that first night it aired on March 12th, 2002.

In the last episode (not this last episode) we witnessed Vic's confessions, the setup for the take-down on Beltran, and Shane and Mara's lives being lived in their darkest hours, in the series finale all that and 7 years of questions and conflicts come to a complete close.

With music having had a big personality trait on the show the opening was quite amusing but easily worked because of the shots captured on the street, hookers, the lights, LA has really been one amazing character, those shots really and truly capture this feeling that couldn't be described in one or two words. The finale would continue to have these moments that make you scream happily and nervously, "This is it." So onto the stories from the least to most heart shattering. A woman goes missing and the one to report this... Loyd, of course you'd know that who'd love to read this having not seen the show or episode. This Loyd was the perfect final case on the show for Dutch but not all goes his way as he's thought to have killed or captured the woman who of course is Rita. Claudette who's done a fantastic job for one last run confronts Loyd as Dutch was asked to step down. In the end he's become a juvenile minor and it seems all things are just about done with him and Dutch asks a question that almost summarizes all the killers we've seen and that was why it was many killers come to California. It seems Loyd may become one of those who came to be famous.

Billing's pending law suit is a no go and that reign of trouble he brought is over. He didn't have any standout moments or moment in this episode but there's plenty to remember.

Next up in the ladder of stories Tina and Julien are sent to break up a small rally of supporters preaching with a man running for mayor. It's interesting to see David's rivals but I think it wasn't as attention grabbing because we've never seen this man and if we have before it's hard to remember the face.

The giant conclusion to Beltran and the drug cartel investigation ends with more than a few smaller scenes of course and we do see him hauled away along with this drugs being picked up by the hands of federal agents. We see David in the spotlight declaring how he was a vital part of this investigation while Vic walks alone in the dark. However I found this story's conclusion a bit of a letdown. For 13 prior episodes I've become tired and exhausted with this investigation, in the way that I just couldn't wait any longer. It should have amounted to something bigger, the bust was really nothing special, I was at least half expecting it to be something like the Armenian heist in season 2 of course and I can think of a few good house break ins that were better. We come to the lives of those were once a part of that strike team. Shane pleas to have charges dropped on Mara if he should turn himself in, no questions asked. Shane has nothing left for him but his loving family. Shane ventures out, he purchases flowers and a toy dumpster truck for Jackson, when he returns home it's there he calls for the first and last... family meeting.

Onto our show's heroin Vic Mackey. While his immunity has brought him some sense of freedom his life has worsen. Vic arrives at the barn to receive the tormenting news of Shane and his family, it's here we really begin to see the giant difference between Ronnie and Vic as Ronnie cries with pain and Vic is quiet and upset. In another series final like moment that hits you silently and hard. Claudette reviews to Vic about Shane, leaving him with the crime scene photos. She had no desire to ask him about their partnership only to see Vic's inner pain and suffering. Ronnie is arrested as planned and in a moving and powerful moment Ronnie is betrayed, he yells and fights as he's taken away shouting to Vic that they were going to go down together. Vic walks out of the barn one last time losing more than he ever had. Vic assigned to a desk job for ICE, a tormenting punishment for him. That night as he rests and stares at his desk he hears police cruisers outside, and he can't handle himself.

My inner feelings were right, hopes and wishes were granted the series finale of The Shield concludes with brilliant alternate plot twists that have become great and proper send offs for all of these characters. Many people have died that Tuesday night, The Vendrell family is at peace, Claudette will fight everyday, walk through those doors until she shall walk no more, Tina make finally not be a problem for anyone with her promotion she may just hold up, Danni stops the party with a 2-11 blowing out the candle after everyone's left, maybe she made a wish at that moment. Julien is past his homosexual conflicts, that was evident after he saw those two men holding hands as he sat next to Tina. Dutch will... continue to be Dutch likely to stick with Claudette until her end after all he did once say, "Claudette... you complete me." Acevada is the city's newest mayor and we can only hope for the best. That precious interrogation room video camera died as well who's last face it saw was Vic Mackey's. He lost everything, his friends, his family, what he loved to do, and the pictures of everyone on his desk are a reminder of that for the rest of his ungrateful life. In the long and closing shot of Vic Mackey I knew who he really was, he never changed and Justice was served... or so I thought. When he reached for his gun after hearing the police outside I knew there that instead feeling guilty and ashamed like any normal human being should he goes out there, onto the streets where he belongs. At least now... he won't hurt those who've tried to care for him.

This final episode neither confused me nor did it anger me. 2 or 3 miniature portions of the episode were a small let down but when you see what has become of these characters and how their stories ended you'll see the brilliance in the writing. There is nothing baffling about this show's conclusion or annoying (ie: rock or pop culture songs that includes Journey), it's every bit as intense and heartbreaking as I wished it would be. 2008 has been a year of loss, our finical situations, many television and film actors have passed away more than ever it seems and I personally have lost some things that were precious to me and are now a thing of the past. The Shield is one of them 3/12/2002- 11/15/2008