The Shield Forums

FX (ended 2008)

"Family Meeting" (S07E13) Official Discussion

Gino24

[1]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 51

You can discuss the series finale here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mannyf50

[2]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 2

It was good the way shane offed himself and his family.... mackey should have never mentioned ronnie in his confession.... he should have told ronnie right before seeing claudette..... but good episode, Good show.

Greenlit829

[3]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 3

Oh god.

OH. MY. GOD.

I can't believe it's over.

I guess, in a way, they DID kill Vic.

And you know something? When all was said and done, I couldn't help but feel bad for the dirty, twisted, selfish SOB. Seeing him in that chair, staring at his desk, eyes closed, mulling over EVERYTHING in the past three years, and knowing that he would have to spend three MORE years wasting away as a desk jockey.

For all practical purposes, Vic Mackey is dead. To his family, to the Barn, and most importantly, to the street. And I'm depressed as hell.

Thank you Shawn Ryan. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for creating one of the best shows of all time. We will miss it!

tgd_Lazarus

[4]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 1
    I expected this ending to happen, although I thought all week Vic was gonna off himself. The ending was just something we've seen on the show all these seasons, what goes around comes around. Also, I have to admit, I almost shed a tear when I saw Mara & Jackson dead, it was a bit too disturbing for me.

numberonecubsfa

[5]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 6
    Sigh....as intense as that was....why did they not wrap up the Dutch storyline? What was the point of introducing the 'radical mayoral candidate' in this finale? What became of Acaveda and the whole bomb threat stuff at the very end? Why have it end with the notion that Vic is going to go out and do something as opposed to resigning to being alone and miserable like he deserves?

That aside all....Shane's end....tragic, but not unfitting, given where his actions led to this point. Poor Ronnie...he was far from innocent, but he didn't get a chance to get out and got screwed by Vic....

But like....did they leave open stories in case there's a tv movie to close it out or something?

The_Nobody101

[6]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 4
    What was the point with andre 3000's(i think that his name) character? His story didn't fit to me and they wasted time on it. I kinda thought shane was gonna kill himself and his family.

Vic in a desk job? Something about that just left me feeling cheated to have spent all my time watching this great show to have him pushing papers in the end.

operez6878

[7]Nov 25, 2008

it ended but it didnt tie up all the story plots

did the kid kill his mom, did aceveda become mayor, how many years or what sentance did ronnie get, and vic getting his gun in the end it seems like he cant let it go, but what a ending i really thought vic was going to die or maybe save ronnie somehow but he didnt and he ended alone with no one doing a job he hates what irony he did all this stuff for his family and for his team, and in the end he ended with nothing

Greenlit829

[8]Nov 25, 2008

To atone for the last three years, Vic is going to put through three years of pure, unadulterated HELL.

That's the way I see it.

smkeller9

[9]Nov 25, 2008
    I'm kind of pissed that they didn't wrap up the whole Dutch case, I really thought for a second there that Dutch was going to be arrested and framed. I'm not a real big fan of the quick end, which is basically the credits poping up and you're surprised. I guess Vic is just going to go on being Vic, that's the message I got from the last scene. Love the show, I give the last episode a B+. Nothing could beat the episode Lem died.

operez6878

[10]Nov 25, 2008
    in the real world though him and his team would have got the needle or life

Timewhisper

[11]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 7
    Shane dead, Ronnie betrayed by Vic going to prison for life, and Vic loses his family and tied to a desk for 3 years, no excitement, no power-just a mediocre, boring job and there's nothing he can do about it. Great finale!

RAYcluse

[12]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 10

Wow...it was all I needed. The way it ended was perfect. All of the main characters are on their way with Vic, each getting defeated in a different way. I mean, it was all ambiguous but the stroylines were left leaning towards the guilty side. Aceveda and his allegations, Dutch responsible for that woman's death, Claudette holding off her death, Julien's inner demon's (which were sort of randomly brought up after a long hiatus I must say). Everyone's going down and even Corrine, who seemed to have a good ending seemed sort of defeated in her last scene. Vic, of course, is trapped in his own Hell. But it's bigger than him just doing those things. He did them AND everyone knows it. He has to live with his guilt and everyone else's. It's an open secret, but how much better is he that he let everything out? Not only that, but when the ICE deal ends, where will he be? Sooner or later some ACLU lawyer will find a loophole.

Those final minutes were so deep and post-modern. It was like a Beckett play where everything looked so mundane but it all still held meaning. But I have a feeling a lot of people are going to hate this episode for that. I can't help but think back to "The Sopranos" backlash (which I think pales in comparison to this finale).

hmnut7

[13]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 12

All I have to say is WOW and WTF?

Okay that is not all I have to say, first the shocker to me, Shane offing himself AND his family, I really wanted to cry for that. It is horrible but when he was talking to Mara right before he bought the drugs I was thinking "If she didn't steal that money train cash they wouldn't be in this trouble." It was also kind of funny that Vic took the deal to protect against Shane dirty bag of secrets and to protect Corrine, and in the end he never would have needed protection for either. He sold Ronnie out for nothing.

I have been bad mouthing Vic since he screwed Ronnie over last week (and I stand by it since unlike many people said, myself included Vic didn't even try a little bit to get Ronnie out of it), but still as much as I love Ronnie really liked his "What about my choice?!" Breakdown as they took him to the cage. And I really liked the fact that it took like 3 guys to whole him, Ronnie a badass until the end.

But I also felt so sad for Ronnie the whole episode because his only real crime was helping Vic.

I know it was suppose to be sad to see Vic behind a desk no family, no friends, no one in the world who likes him. But his punishment for several murders, stealing drugs, selling drugs, and other forms of corruption, his punishment is 3 years behind a desk, that's getting off pretty damn light when the rest of the team is either dead or in jail for life. Hell I work behind desk (I actually think it is the same model desk) it sucks but I would rather be at my job than prison.

That was the WOW

Now the WTF?

Why was Andre 2000 such a big part of the episode? He had a spot in season 2 if I recall, and I liked his character then, and I am pretty sure it was same character, but it has been 5 seasons why bring him back for the finale and give him so much air time?

The Dutch and Lloyd storyline wtf why bring it back just to leave it hanging there unresolved, from what I saw they still had nothing on the kid, what are they pushing for a spin off where Dutch tries to catch this kid.

Also..... So....... they just gave up on the Danni and Lee storyline altogether huh? I guess Vic actually doesn't give a **** about that kid, well he is a bastard (Vic not Lee although I guess technically).

And last, wtf was the thing with Vic getting his gun, what is going to rob a liquor store, I mean why not, what does he got to lose now. What he is just trying to feel like a big man?Gonna go after some drug dealers on his off hours, I said it last week, guys like Victor Mackey does not stay clean long, he will screw up his deal, he will end up right next to poor Ronnie.

All in all a decent end to an amazing show, but I still can't believe it is over.

Greenlit829

[14]Nov 25, 2008

As much as Vic didn't want to go to jail, I think prison is more Vic's speed than some depressing cubicle job.

Blood_Junkie

[15]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 4
    hmnut7 wrote:

It was also kind of funny that Vic took the deal to protect against Shane dirty bag of secrets and to protect Corrine, and in the end he never would have needed protection for either. He sold Ronnie out for nothing.

True, but if Vic hadn't told Shane that him and Ronnie had gotten immunity, I don't think Shane would have killed himself. That was always what he had to protect himself if he got caught.

smkeller9

[16]Nov 25, 2008

What I think Vic grabbing his gun and taking off says is that even after all of this **** that has happened and what he's done, it didn't change who he is one bit. Vic is Vic, a real scumbag.

RAYcluse wrote:

Wow...it was all I needed. The way it ended was perfect. All of the main characters are on their way with Vic, each getting defeated in a different way. I mean, it was all ambiguous but the stroylines were left leaning towards the guilty side. Aceveda and his allegations, Dutch responsible for that woman's death, Claudette holding off her death, Julien's inner demon's (which were sort of randomly brought up after a long hiatus I must say). Everyone's going down and even Corrine, who seemed to have a good ending seemed sort of defeated in her last scene. Vic, of course, is trapped in his own Hell. But it's bigger than him just doing those things. He did them AND everyone knows it. He has to live with his guilt and everyone else's. It's an open secret, but how much better is he that he let everything out? Not only that, but when the ICE deal ends, where will he be? Sooner or later some ACLU lawyer will find a loophole.

Those final minutes were so deep and post-modern. It was like a Beckett play where everything looked so mundane but it all still held meaning. But I have a feeling a lot of people are going to hate this episode for that. I can't help but think back to "The Sopranos" backlash (which I think pales in comparison to this finale).

aintthatapip

[17]Nov 25, 2008

I hated it.

No ****hfest from Vick's daughter being moved into witness protection? The serial killer angle being left open? That wierd pointless mayoral candidates death? WTH.

Greenlit829

[18]Nov 25, 2008
    smkeller9 wrote:

What I think Vic grabbing his gun and taking off says is that even after all of this **** that has happened and what he's done, it didn't change who he is one bit. Vic is Vic, a real scumbag.

RAYcluse wrote:

He may be. But I can't help but feel a bit bad for him. Vic Mackey belongs on the street. And now he's being held prisoner (so to speak) in an office with the Fed's dick up his ass. Yeah, I DO feel a little bad for him.

FilthyYamBag

[19]Nov 25, 2008
    there are a few things you guys are forgetting, the reason Shane offed himself, was because Vic had the immunity deal. The Dutch case was going to be solved, why do you think the kid semi conceded and said "everyone comes to be famous", remember Claudette said she could break him with time.

as for Andre benjamin, i think his part was just a way to include more Aceveda as a mayoral candidate

wr8280

[20]Nov 25, 2008

The_Nobody101 wrote:
    What was the point with andre 3000's(i think that his name) character? His story didn't fit to me and they wasted time on it. I kinda thought shane was gonna kill himself and his family. Vic in a desk job? Something about that just left me feeling cheated to have spent all my time watching this great show to have him pushing papers in the end.

I believe Acevada had him killed somehow. His character was introduced to show the cutthroat intensity and the power of Aceveda and bring in the the theme that Poloticians are above the law. Claudette said something that reinforced this viewpoint. Something to the effect of, "I'm sure you won't let the election stop you"

The reason his campaign HQ was threatened is because people know that he was behind it. Sure Andre 3000 wasn't even a threat but hhe insulted Aceveda and made him look stupid so he had to die.