The Shield Forums

FX (ended 2008)

"Family Meeting" (S07E13) Official Discussion

hmnut7

[21]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 12
    wr8280 wrote:

The_Nobody101 wrote:
    What was the point with andre 3000's(i think that his name) character? His story didn't fit to me and they wasted time on it. I kinda thought shane was gonna kill himself and his family. Vic in a desk job? Something about that just left me feeling cheated to have spent all my time watching this great show to have him pushing papers in the end.

I believe Acevada had him killed somehow. His character was introduced to show the cutthroat intensity and the power of Aceveda and bring in the the theme that Poloticians are above the law. Claudette said something that reinforced this viewpoint. Something to the effect of, "I'm sure you won't let the election stop you"

The reason his campaign HQ was threatened is because people know that he was behind it. Sure Andre 3000 wasn't even a threat but hhe insulted Aceveda and made him look stupid so he had to die.

I think that could be a great storyline but why bring it up when it is never going to be looked developed, same with Lloyd.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stuckeyc2

[22]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 4

I love how this show from the very beginning has always had the "Politically Correct" people loving this show as much as the rest of the world. But come on seriously just because the guy offed another cop and kept doing things that a normal cop wouldnt do to keep himself and friends from going to jail, makes him a bad guy? Obviously the "Politically Correct" people kept watching to see him get busted. I wonder if you the "Politically Correct" people watch Shawn Ryans other show "The Unit"? If you do i wonder if you have the same feelings you do for Vic as you do the Colonel or Mack?

Now i got that off my chest, I think the whole reason the Dutch thing was never solved was because of the so called spin off they might have. I was shocked that Shane killed his family and himself. But everyone knew coming into this season he was gonna die one way or another. At least i did. Vic and Ronnie story line surprised me and kinda pissed me off. I feel bad for Ronnie and knew Vic played the wrong cards. Which was a first of the show. Im dissapointed that Vic let Claudette put everything on him instead of throwing it back in her face. Vic's style would have totally been in her face letting her know it was as much as her fault as it was his.

I think i need more time before i can sit and say yeah i believe this is the way it should have ended.

Plonked

[23]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 16
    I have skipped all the above posts. I dont get to see this for another 5 hours. I am hoping I wont be dissapointed.

milkhaswings

[24]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 13
    Jeepers creepers what an end. Looking back on the episode...when Shane says "Family meeting." really stands out to me, you could almost hear what he was going to do in his voice. That whole thing was just so tragic.

I actually like how they kinda left the Lloyd storyline hanging, though it did seem like they found something otherwise I don't think they'd be so confident and even Lloyd seems to give up at the end with that line.

The whole episode was riveting from start to finish, truly an amazing end to an amazing show. Loved the credits as well, very well done. There were a lot of smiles, which was sad actually..strange.

phatjagz14

[25]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 8
    Great final episode, but I'll never understand why show runners choose to end series finales on cliffhangers. I'm not talking about the kid serial killer (which was kinda open, but I think they alluded to his guilt) or Andre 3000/Robert Huggins (which I think was to show Aceveda's indifference to his opponents, as well as the fact that he may be running unopposed now), I'm talking about Vic just grabbing his gun and walking out in the last scene. When the lights went out, that was the perfect ending. Show that the world has gone dim on Vic Mackey. No friends, no family, and despised by everyone at ICE and The Barn, he is resigned to a mental prison for 3 years (10 pages single spaced per day?!? ahhh!). Someone said that this is worse for someone like Vic than prison, and I tend to agree, since Mackey would probably end up holding his own there somehow in some way. But then he gets up and walks off...wtf??? That was waaay too Sopranos-esque for me. Now a good episode and fitting send off is slightly tainted by the leftover questions hovering over Vic Mackey. Alas...this show will greatly be missed.
    Edited on 11/25/2008 9:50pm

sidious618

[26]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 13
    Shane yelling, "Family meeting!" is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

smetanka

[27]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 1
    Overall, the finale was spot-on. The verdict on Shane, Vic & Ronnie was very well-executed. The Shield always delivered exciting plot twists, and I was afraid that they would overdo it with the finale - losing the essence of the characters and storylines. I'm glad that the show closed with real substance, rather than relying on too many cheap tricks.

My question to you all ... Did anyone else suspect that Dutch might have actually killed Rita, and framed Lloyd? I just couldn't shake that image of Dutch mauling that cat a couple seasons back. The way that he talked about the forgettable serial killer was packed with some sort of suggestion. Probably over-thinking. A true testament to the show and their hairpin plot twists that always has me expecting the unexpected. Never imagined that I could become so attached to fictional characters!

hmnut7

[28]Nov 25, 2008
    stuckeyc2 wrote:

I love how this show from the very beginning has always had the "Politically Correct" people loving this show as much as the rest of the world. But come on seriously just because the guy offed another cop and kept doing things that a normal cop wouldnt do to keep himself and friends from going to jail, makes him a bad guy?

Three things.

1) He didn't keep his friends from going to jail. Ronnie is going to rot because Vic sold him out.

2) Yes! Killing a cop makes you a bad guy, and that is not a so called "politically correct" point of view, and if it is then yeah I am one of these people who thinks people should not kill cops to cover up for their crimes.

3) Just because he is a bad guy does not mean people can't like him. Vic Mackey is the star of the show and I don't think it would be a hit if people didn't like him on some level. From the pilot when he killed Terry part of me wanted to see Vic go down for that because I do think murders should go to jail (sorry if that is too politically correct a view to have), but at the same time as we got to see more of the character a part of me kind of hopes he got away with it. In fact that was the draw of the show the characters are not black and white, they are gray just because Vic killed a cop does not mean you don't want to root for him, but it also doesn't mean you think it is okay what he did.

rkd1234

[29]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 2
    I predicted Vic's end but I didn't think Shane would actually kill his own family. I'll be watching this episode as soon as it becomes possible.

jhawk013

[30]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 4

Seeing Shane's family lying there is one of the most haunting and disturbing images I have seen on TV. Vic is left in his own prison for three years. No one is left unblemished. Ronnie is off to jail, Claudette is dying, Dutch is kind of losing it chasing after a "Flying Dutchman" of a case he may not close, Acevado may have blood on his hands & the "Ice" lady is a shark....Vic could've handed over her file putting her in jail. After Vic lived up to his word by bringing in the big case she betrayed him.

While we are left with this there is the image of officers celebrating 1 year out of the academy. A perfect microcosm and metaphor on life, that we only occupy a time and place for a moment then it is someone else's turn.

Bravo a depressing episode, but the shield will be missed.

hurleyjunx666

[31]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 6

Absolutely awesome finale. As I heard someone say before, the needle was too good for Vic Mackey. He's got no family, no team, no allies and no shield. His duties now are nothing but being a slave at a desk. It sort of reminds me of the Goodfellas ending where Henry goes into witness protection and doesn't have the lifestyle that was suited to him. That is Vic now. He can't go out and catch criminals, he can't go out and get down and dirty on the streets. He is trapped with nothing but a horrible job and if he doesn't do it, he's done. That's probably worse than him getting killed or going to prison.

As for the other characters, I was absolutely shocked about Shane killing himself and putting down his wife and son. His family meeting quote will be etched in my mind for a long long time.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for Ronnie. This was the most loyal ally who really was about protecting the team and it puts him in jail. His crime was being too loyal. Same thing happened to Lem but Shane took care of that. Vic did that to Ronnie. It just hurts because Vic said it was all about the team but he couldn't hold up his end of the word in the end.

Thank you Shawn Ryan for an amazing show and an amazing ending to a great season and series.

Real quick here's my cap of the best seasons:

1. season 7
    2. season 5
    3. season 1
    4. season 2
    5. season 6
    6. season 3
    7. season 4

hurleyjunx666

[32]Nov 25, 2008
    One last thing.

The final scene where Vic took his gun out of the safe that he stored it in and looked at it hard and then had a tiny smirk on his face; basically said it all: He realizes that everyone associated with him went down (Shane commiting suicide, Lem getting killed by Shane, Ronnie going to jail, his kids will probably never see him again) but for everything that he went through, it was a hell of a ride. I like to think that after holding his gun and looking at it, he realizes that the outcome is very fitting for him and he's probably at peace with how things turned out no matter how much he despises it or how much he wished things could have been different.

jrob28

[33]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 5

Great finale. This is the worst possible thing that could have happened to Vic. At least he could have kicked some ass in prison. I was kind of waiting for Vic to go to ICE and work out a him for Ronnie trade that would send Vic to jail and Ronnie free.

As for the Corrine situation, I don't think Vic would have ever hurt her. I don't think he would've gone that far would he?

I was kinda expecting Claudette to fall out and die when she was up on the balcony. Looked like she was ready to fall out.

Shane and family was pretty disturbing, but I had that scenario in my mind ever since someone on this board predicted last week.

That piece in the end credits was great, makes me want to the whole series over again.

therock0603

[34]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 3
    hmnut7 wrote:

It was also kind of funny that Vic took the deal to protect against Shane dirty bag of secrets and to protect Corrine, and in the end he never would have needed protection for either.

Well that's not really the case. Shane only killed himself because he realized he had no way out because Vic had gotten immunity. That was the same reason Shane wasn't able to get a deal to turn himself in and get Mara off the hook. He had nothing to offer them anymore. Had Vic not taken the deal, he would have been screwed. The protection he got from it is what destroyed Shane's only other option and led to the murder/suicide.

Also, I think people are looking too much into the ending where Vic grabbed his gun when they are interpreting it to mean he's not going to give up or he's about to go do something. There was really nothing to it. When he showed up for work that morning, he was told to get his gun out of there or lock it up. Apparently he locked it up. At the end of the day, it was only natural that he would grab his gun before he left.

stuckeyc2 wrote:

I love how this show from the very beginning has always had the "Politically Correct" people loving this show as much as the rest of the world. But come on seriously just because the guy offed another cop and kept doing things that a normal cop wouldnt do to keep himself and friends from going to jail, makes him a bad guy? Obviously the "Politically Correct" people kept watching to see him get busted. I wonder if you the "Politically Correct" people watch Shawn Ryans other show "The Unit"? If you do i wonder if you have the same feelings you do for Vic as you do the Colonel or Mack?

Yeah...basically...the reason he had to kill Terry was because he was investigating them for the crimes they were suspected of committing (and were committing) on the job. And the money train robbery wasn't something that had any kind of righteous justification. They were always doing bad things and continued to do bad things to cover it up. Of course they were bad people. I recognized that, but that didn't mean I was watching the show to see them get busted. I liked the characters. But in the end, they got what they deserved. And as for Vic playing the wrong cards for the first time in the show...where have you been? He's been helping to dig their hole deeper for the entire 7 years this show has been on (3 years in the show). Most of what he's done has been playing the wrong cards. Sure, he pulled some slick maneuvers to get them out of things from time to time, but you have to ask yourself...why is he always having to try to get them out of stuff? Because he was always getting them into stuff.

Invader_of_53

[35]Nov 26, 2008
    • level: 7
    I thought the ending was perfect. Vic did so much to ensure a better future for himself and his family, both at work and at home. The bitter irony is that his actions led him to the exact opposite. He's utterly alone with no one on his side, and has a bollocks job to boot. It's a perfect moral story.

I also find Shane's fate facinating. His note points out how much he was a parallel to Vic. The only difference is that he wasn't quite as good as it and his family paid the price. It's a shame that he realised that too late. Even if he didn't kill them and himself, they were doomed anyway because he had backed himself (and his family by proxy) so far into a corner that he saw it as an act of mercy. Ironically, Vic's family probably had the closest to a happy ending - not because of Vic's good intentions, but because of his selfish criminal actions. It's a pity that his other "family" got fed to the meat grinder for it. I also really feel bad for Ronnie. He was loyal to Vic and stuck with him because he put his faith in him... and got royally screwed because of it.

The lesson of the story: actions have consquences. No matter how well you cover your tracks, you succeed in only digging your own hole.

smetanka wrote:
    My question to you all ... Did anyone else suspect that Dutch might have actually killed Rita, and framed Lloyd? I just couldn't shake that image of Dutch mauling that cat a couple seasons back. The way that he talked about the forgettable serial killer was packed with some sort of suggestion. Probably over-thinking. A true testament to the show and their hairpin plot twists that always has me expecting the unexpected. Never imagined that I could become so attached to fictional characters!

I was also on that same page. I couldn't help but think of that on several occasions throughout those scenes. But at the same time, I thought if he did it, it would have been a bit of a cheat.

ScootleRoyale

[36]Nov 26, 2008
    • level: 8
    what i like about this episode is it didn't really seem like a finale, it seemed like an ordinary episode. There were no real endings at all really, it was all very open ended, and i like that coz thats the way the shield has always been, none of the story lines have ever really ended. Look back at the early seasons when julian was struggling with his homosexuality, that story never really ended. Then theres the whole "dark dutch" story where he choked that cat to death. The character arcs in the shield have always been very open and never really gone anywhere and the final series was no different.

There was no final showdown between vic and aceveda, no antwon/shane showdown, no dutch/tina or dutch/danni stuff, the series ended the way its always been, open ended.

bellz666

[37]Nov 26, 2008
    • level: 5
    Unbelievable series, best on TV ever. Te ending was excellent, other than Vic grabbing his gun. I agree with the poster above that the lights going out should have been the end of the series. Absolutely a depressing ending, and I cannot get it out of my mind.

ewarwoo

[38]Nov 26, 2008

Wow. Just wow. My all time favorite TV show. Without even a close comparison. And it ended in the perfect way.

The good guys aren't always good, the baddest guys don't always get caught and you can never trust what you believe.

I like to think of Vic stewing away in that purgatory sinking deeper and deeper into a bottle until one day he walks of and goes to jail or can't face that prospect and eats his gun.

Its a fitting ending for him to be stuck there, but 3 years is not a shade on what he deserves. But the spirit of the show is he'll do his 3 years and go into a security job and get his hands dirty again and keep shadng out of going down.

He's always only been a level above the scum he deals with. He started out with the right reasons but they just allowed him to slowly release his true self and bury his conscience. Selling out Ronnie was the final scrap of his goodness being stripped away. We must leave, nothing left to like or sympathise with, he's now with the pondlife he's bent all the rules to bust.

Absolute shocker with Shane but. I didn't see that coming. Harrowing. Same as the Shields always been. Shane's always blunderred from error to error since meeting Vic and he finally pushed him into the ultimate act of selfish evil doing possible whilst believing it was the right things.

And as for open endings....well....it's a cop station. We're watching the station from outside, it doesn't stop because we stop to view. It all carries on inside and it would make no sense if all ends were tied up neat. None at all.

Edited on 11/26/2008 5:10am

LII2

[39]Nov 26, 2008
    Notice that none of the pictures on Vic's desk contained one of his other son Lee, just the ones he had with Corrinne. I liked the finale but somehow I knew that Shane and his family were going to die, the previous episodes all set the stage of it. What I did like was how they showed clips from previous seasons, after the finale had ended.

kenmoorer

[40]Nov 26, 2008
    • level: 2
    Great show but I'm not a fan of open endings for shows. I would have been happier if it cut out with Vic still setting at the desk. But after thinking about it I agree with an earlier poster that Vic was getting his gun because it was the end of his shift and time to go home. That's the benefit of the open endings I suppose. I actually was laughing at Vic on the inside because of how bad I felt for Ronnie. It would have been great if Ronnie could gotten his hands on Vic. I think cops would let him go in that situation because they all wanted to hurt Vic anyway. Did anyone else think the fate of Shane and his family had a hint of the Chris Benoit murder suicide? All they needed were some bibles. Wow that was creepy but a perfect ending for them.