The Shield Forums

FX (ended 2008)

"Family Meeting" (S07E13) Official Discussion

Greenlit829

[101]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 3

What I don't understand is how Corrine could be so selfish and more importantly, paranoid...

Yes, she knows now that Vic has done some heinous s**t, but how could she ever, ever, EVER think that Vic would hurt her or the kids, in any way? No matter WHAT?

Corrine (repeatedly): "What's gonna happen to me now, when Vic finds out I've been helping you???? YOU NEED TO ARREST HIIMMM!!"

Jesus woman, shut up. I guess you really didn't know that man at all. He may have been a little angry and frustrated when he found out, maybe he would have yelled a little, but he would never, EVER hurt his family, including you. Vic loved his family more than himself. But yeah, I guess as long Vic was providing for the family, you had no problem with him being free, did you?

Enjoy your bland suburban life of anonymity Corrine, you deserve it. I just hope someday your conscience gets to you and you let Vic talk to his kids, the one bright spot he had.

Edited on 11/28/2008 10:43am
    Edited 7 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

neomotion

[102]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 1
    Greenlit829 wrote:

What I don't understand is how Corrine could be so selfish and more importantly, PARANOID!!

Yes, she knows now that Vic has done some heinous s**t, but how could she ever, ever, EVER think that Vic would hurt her or the kids, in ANY way? No matter WHAT??

Corrine (repeatedly): "What's gonna happen to me now, when Vic finds out I've been helping you???? YOU NEED TO ARREST HIIIIMMMMM!!"

Jesus woman, shut up!! I guess you really didn't know that man at all. He may have been a little angry and frustrated when he found out, maybe he would have yelled a little, but he would NEVER, EVER hurt his family, including you. Vic loved his family more than himself. But yeah, I guess as long Vic was providing for the family, you had no problem with him being free, did you??

Enjoy your bland suburban life of anonymity Corrine, you deserve it. I just hope someday your conscience gets to you and you let Vic talk to his kids who he loves.

Dude, you do know it's just a tv show right?

Greenlit829

[103]Nov 28, 2008
    Lol, yeah I do. I'm not overly obsessed or anything. But it's one of my favorite shows of all time so I tend to get excited.

Rev-Views

[104]Nov 28, 2008
    therock0603 wrote:

Greenlit829 wrote:
    No, that was Clark Johnson of The Wire and Homicide Life on the Street fame. Great actor.

No, I know it wasn't Forest Whitaker. I was asking if the guy reminded anyone of Kavanaugh, not if it was him.

Naah, not really. He just reminded me of Meldrick Lewis, Gus and Deke's Handsome Partner (from S.W.A.T.) who his character in The Shield is named in tribute of with the name Handsome Marshal.

It was a great nod to Clark, as he's the man who not only directed the first and last episodes of The Wire but he also directed the first and last episodes of The Shield. He's been a part of two of the greatest shows at the birth and death of each. This is without considering his epic presence in Homicide.

The man is a legend behind and in front of the camera.

LII2

[105]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    I think Corrine was just plain stupid, C'mon Vic wouldn't murder her, dispite her working with the police. She overracted but her own paranoia isn't helping. Vic loves his kids, it's plain clear especially seeing how he looked at each photo of them during last couple of minutes. Another thing, Cassidy already knows some of his bad stuff. It doesn't make her love him anyless, dispite how both Shane and Mara had felt in the end how their own kids would feel about them. Vic would never have the courage to oust his whole family, dispite his crimnal natures; it's not in him to do that sort of them. Getting back to Ronnie; the guy was plain loyal from the very beginning. He didn't deserve to be arrested, but I think Ronnie should had run when he had the chance. Shane I really never liked him and what he did to poor Lem was totally stupid. Even stupider when he killed both Jackson and the unborn Francis Abigail, but never really saw that Mara played a huge part in why things ended up the way it did. Her criminal pyschopathic nature, caused this and made Corrinne get caught in the crossfire to turn against Vic.

jrob28

[106]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 5
    Now that I rethink it, maybe Corrine wasn't in fear of her life, maybe she was was just sick of all the chaos Vic brings into her and the kids lives. But I don't get the witness protection program. I think she should have just moved on her own to another city/state and maybe let Vic see his kids.

yukichigai

[107]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 7
    Mara and Jackson being killed kind of caught me by surprise. Honestly I knew Shane was going to kill himself, but I had my money on him giving a dying declaration that cleared Mara before killing himself in front of witnesses. (Possibly via suicide-by-cop)

The most revealing moment for me was when Claudette was reading Shane's suicide note to Vic. Everything he said in there was dead on, and something I hadn't really noticed until it was pointed out. Vic and Shane really did make each other exponentially worse than they were by themselves, and had they not teamed up they all might have had long and happy (if illegally financed) lives. Even looking over the past few seasons Shane's theory held true: the worst crimes committed by Vic and the rest of the Strike Team happened when the two were directly teamed up.

The last scene was full of a lot of subtext, and is really subject to a lot of interpretation. What's clear more than anything is that Vic realizes he is alone, utterly and completely. It's also clear that he's not about to give up on living either, or stop being a cop at heart. He may be dirty, he may be greedy and selfish, but at the core Vic wants to stop criminals and the truly evil, even if he has to commit dozens of lesser crimes to do so.

therock0603

[108]Nov 30, 2008

That's not how a dying declaration works. For one, a dying declaration has to relate to the cause or circumstances of one's death. Mara's guilt or innocence has nothing to do with the cause or circumstances of Shane's death. Also, the declaration has to be given by someone who is dying or in a state which causes the person to believe they are dying (badly wounded). So a situation in which a dying declaration would come into effect would be if someone were to be shot and say, "Jack shot me." If the person died or believe he was going to die, his statement accusing Jack of the crime would be admissable in court as a dying declaration.

And even if Shane were to declare Mara innocent before killing himself (which would not be a dying declaration), that doesn't magically clear Mara of anything. It would actually have little impact at all. Everyone knows Mara was working with him and also killed someone and shot another person. The untrustworthy word of a drugged up murdering criminal would hold no weight.

Edited on 11/30/2008 12:23am
    Edited 2 total times.

dlockjaw

[109]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 11

Juat as rough and ragged as the finale to this show should have been. What a great show and what unbelievably surperb acting from a great ensemble cast.

A very well deserved "tip of the hat" to Shawn Ryan for one of the greatest cop shows ever.

My only regret is that it is over. I feel it will be a long time before we see its like again

rkd1234

[110]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 2

yukichigai wrote:
    and had they not teamed up they all might have had long and happy (if illegally financed) lives.

I don't think that Shane would have gone down that road had it not been for Vic.

Garyrajsich

[111]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 1

The final episode was excellent, but left me real down. I felt awful for Ronnie, not only going to jail for the rest of his life, but knowing that Vic betrayed him. The worst part is that Ronnie was ready to head to Mexico but Vic convinced him to trust him and give him a couple of days. Watching Shane steadily deteriorate and ultimately take himself and his family out with him was incredibly disturbing. I can't feel bad for Vic - not for being chained to a desk for 3 years, even if it is a torturous job for him. At least he can somewhat start over in 3 years. Not so for the rest of the Strike Team.

A lot of people on this board have bashed Mara, and don't get me wrong, I couldn't stand her, but I'll take her any day over Corrine. Mara was loyal to Shane til the very end, while Corrine was more that willing to send the father of her children to prison. This, after accepting tens of thousands of dollars from him over the years, not so concerned then about where it was coming from. As bad as Vic was, Corrine was the one person, along with his kids, that he would never harm. By deceiving Vic, she set off a chain reaction which resulted in Shane's Family Murder/Suicide and Ronnie's jail sentence. If Vic doesn't get his immunity deal early (to get Corrine off the hook), none of those things happen.

I also have a pretty low opinion of Aceveda and Olivia, two people who could tolerate Vic's wicked ways when it was convenient for them. While I can see Olivia feeling blind-sided by Vic's confession, she wouldn't have even been in a position to listen to his story if Vic hadn't stopped her from turning herself in. Thanks to Vic, her past crime will forever go undetected. And as far as Aceveda, I have to imagine that Vic's final high-profile bust sealed the Mayoral Campaign for him. Not that I'm comparing them to Vic, but I can certainly understand where in Vic's mind, he would not consider himself Morally Inferior to the "good guys".

Watching Vic silently in that final scene, I wonder how much guilt and/or regret he has over the fates of Shane & Family and Ronnie. It's tough to say, particularly after that little smirk he gives before leaving. Perhaps like with Terry, Vic was able to get past it and never bring it up again.

avoidz

[112]Nov 30, 2008

Bad ending to a great show.

Should have ended with Vic in a new ICE job, Shane going to jail for Lem's murder, Ronnie running the Strike Team with Julien (maybe Tavon returning); Corrine removing herself from Vic's life and going far far away (hated her character and nasally complaining about every damn thing. Cassidy gone too, the brat); Mara dead or seriously threatened to stay away; Dutch still exploring serial killer angles on his cases (and maybe himself); Aceveda becoming mayor...

Rather that in my mind than another disappointing Sopranos-style ending - which is no ending at all, and a huge let-down.

Edited on 11/30/2008 6:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Greenlit829

[113]Nov 30, 2008
    avoidz wrote:

Should have ended with Vic in a new ICE job, Shane going to jail for Lem's murder, Ronnie running the Strike Team with Julien (maybe Tavon returning); Corrine removing herself from Vic's life and going far far away (hated her character and nasally complaining about every damn thing); Mara dead or seriously threatened to stay away; Dutch still exploring serial killer angles on his cases (and maybe himself); Aceveda becoming mayor...

Rather that in my mind than another disappointing Sopranos-style ending - which is no ending at all, and a huge let-down.

Ummm, the only difference between your ending and the actual ending is that Shane died instead of going to jail, and Ronnie went to jail instead of running the Strike Team. I thought Shane killing himself and Mara and Jax, while shocking, made perfect sense. And even if Ronnie didnt have to go to jail, there is NO WAY Claudette would let him run the Strike Team, not after all the sh!t he was involved in.

I thought the ending stayed true to the "Shield"----not really fair, pretty depressing, but that's how life goes.

Plonked

[114]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 16

DwyaneBradders wrote:
    Did Ronnie actually get screwed? When the case goes to court, how much evidence have they got to link him with all the things that Vic said they'd done. In the end it would come to one word against another and surley Vic, who admitted to killing a cop would be deemed less trustworthy...

Yeh thats what Im peffed at, we will never know what happens next to Ronnie.

Plonked

[115]Nov 30, 2008

Greenlit829 wrote:
    No, that was Clark Johnson of The Wire and Homicide Life on the Street fame. Great actor.

I agree. Hes a great actor.

Plonked

[116]Nov 30, 2008
    avoidz wrote:

Should have ended with Vic in a new ICE job, Shane going to jail for Lem's murder, Ronnie running the Strike Team with Julien (maybe Tavon returning); Corrine removing herself from Vic's life and going far far away (hated her character and nasally complaining about every damn thing. Cassidy gone too, the brat); Mara dead or seriously threatened to stay away; Dutch still exploring serial killer angles on his cases (and maybe himself); Aceveda becoming mayor...

This ending would be our fairytale ending.

AlexKrycec

[117]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 7
    don't you think ronnie has a right to see the document granting vic immunity and hear the audio confession? could ronnie find something else on vic? obviously not as big as the money train or terry crowley's murder, but something to put vic behind bars.

Greenlit829

[118]Dec 1, 2008

AlexKrycec wrote:
    don't you think ronnie has a right to see the document granting vic immunity and hear the audio confession? could ronnie find something else on vic? obviously not as big as the money train or terry crowley's murder, but something to put vic behind bars.

Good point. I didn't think of that. You know what, maybe that's what Olivia is hoping for----she'll visit Ronnie in prison and play the audio confession for him and ask him to find something else that Vic may have missed, in exchange for a much lighter sentence. And after being so blatantly betrayed by Vic, I have no doubt that Ronnie would totally do it too.

therock0603

[119]Dec 1, 2008
    Garyrajsich wrote:

I also have a pretty low opinion of Aceveda and Olivia, two people who could tolerate Vic's wicked ways when it was convenient for them. While I can see Olivia feeling blind-sided by Vic's confession, she wouldn't have even been in a position to listen to his story if Vic hadn't stopped her from turning herself in.

I didn't feel sorry for Olivia getting "blind-sided" by Vic's confession. She should have known he had done some bad stuff as hard as he was pushing for that immunity deal. I mean, what did she think he was trying to get immunity for? I was also bothered by something in the season finale concerning Aceveda. I remember seeing interviews with the cast about the final season and they were saying that they really felt good about the ending because everyone got what they deserved. But I don't feel like Aceveda did. He was a low-down sack of crap and he just kinda skated away. I think a better ending for him would have been him leaving his campaign headquarters after getting a bomb threat and encountering an angry mob of people outside who thought he was responsible for Huggins' murder. Then as he's trying to get through to his car, someone in the crowd opens fire and kills him. I would've liked that a lot better.

Mannyf50

[120]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 2
    why would this matter.... the show is over... you guys talk about it like if there will be another season... Unfortunately not... i had to stop thinking about it because i felt bad for ronnie.