The Shield Forums

FX (ended 2008)

"Petty Cash" (S07E11) Official Discussion

Gino24

[1]Nov 11, 2008
    • level: 51

Feel free to discuss the latest episode here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

milkhaswings

[2]Nov 11, 2008
    • level: 13
    "I have no idea what that means."

That was absolutely perfect comedic timing, I couldn't stop laughing. Loved this episode, next one looks amazing as well. Excitement.

therealcromar

[3]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 6
    Wow, LOVED it! I was so sad that Ronnie is now incriminated. Before he had a chance. Now, other than testifying (won't happen) he's got no way out. Well, maybe that's not true - Vic has him in the ICE investigation. I bet he can convince Murray to tell Claudette that the drop was somehow related to the investigation. Or, Vic and Ronnie get the feds to lean on IED to drop the case entirely. They wind up employed and get off scot free. Wow, that would be crazy! I would feel so sorry for Claudette if the federal crap cost her the case - just like what happened in season 4. Nothing ever goes right for her.

What the heck is gonna happen with Shane? He and the family seem to have no entanglements anymore. They know they can't trust Corrine, and Vic probably won't ever track him down now. How about that hilarious letter, did you see the "from" name Cletus Van Damme? I'm so glad they brought that back. And, Ronnie managed to catch it despite Billing's worst efforts.

Another great episode with old characters popping back in to do favors, I liked that. I also thought the big drug dealer meet reminded me very much of the Wire (and in a very good way). I totally understood what they meant about their business relationship with their old connect meaning more than Vic's opportunity - that's precisely what Fat Joe would have done, if a corrupt cop offered him a too good to be true deal from a shady seller.

RAYcluse

[4]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 10

Where I work I have a vault that's just like the one Shane and Mara were dealing with (without the money it). It's so confusing to open that sometimes I just leave it unlocked for the next day just because nothing of value is actually in the thing. So that whole vault scene was full of memories for me haha.

This episode was the best. Vic is manipulating like never before and Shane is acting so reckless he's bound to screw up soon. I have to say that throwing Ronnie into the whole blackmail thing had to have been the worst idea ever. I'm sure Ronnie will get arrested next week. And I'm OK with that. He had so many oppurtunities to run but he trusted Vic too much.

I just feel so bad for Claudette. She's so close to making history with ending Vic's corruption but I don't think she'll make it. And losing her medicine in such weird way got me concerned along with Dutch. I think she's hiding something about her Lupus. But next week sound like it will possibly be bigger than the finale. Or at least just as big. I can't believe it's really almost done...

blknge

[5]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 9

a surprising letdown for me, my review is there to check out. The ending that concludes it(which bears major similarity to the movie In Cold Blood) thought it looks beautiful and the entire look of the show is getting better is nothing we don't know already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysVyn2EFV_Q

there's a link for a preview of the next episode, careful some ass posted what might be a bogus spoiler in the comments, it sounds dumb but still. High hopes still remain

Edited on 11/12/2008 10:26am

kareeb

[6]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 8
    I would say that this was by far one of the best episodes of the season. I feel bad for Mara, because her poor soul doesn't recognize that she should've left Shane when he put her on the run. I'm sorry, I wouldn't be running from the law and a couple crazy cops w/ a bun in the oven and another child. That's selfish. As for Wyms, I feel like something bad is going to happen to her too before she gets the chance to bust Vic. That has to be the reason for the emphasis on her repeatedly losing her meds. Corrinne is probably going to die inside a little when/if Vic gets caught because of the problems it will cause her kids. Whatever happened with Danny? I hope Beltran takes Vic out for lying about Resian (i think that's how you spell it) being dead.

wr8280

[7]Nov 12, 2008

kareeb wrote:
    I would say that this was by far one of the best episodes of the season. I feel bad for Mara, because her poor soul doesn't recognize that she should've left Shane when he put her on the run. I'm sorry, I wouldn't be running from the law and a couple crazy cops w/ a bun in the oven and another child. That's selfish. As for Wyms, I feel like something bad is going to happen to her too before she gets the chance to bust Vic. That has to be the reason for the emphasis on her repeatedly losing her meds. Corrinne is probably going to die inside a little when/if Vic gets caught because of the problems it will cause her kids. Whatever happened with Danny? I hope Beltran takes Vic out for lying about Resian (i think that's how you spell it) being dead.

Its Pezuala, no Resian. Resian was the Amrenian mob leader.

I have a question for the people in the forum. Where did Vic's mysterious 100k come from? I was unsure about that plot deal. And why is Claudette so convinced that the money is dirty? When I saw the eppy from last week Vic said something like "I can't get that much money- I need more time." And Shane said "The person who masterminded the Armenian money train robbery? Get real." And then in this episode, The money seems to materialize out of nowhere. Did he rip off Beltran- or is that part of the money he has made working for Pezuala? Or did he rip off the 1-9ers? I must have missed something....

Vic knows something is wrong. He doesn't know why Shane didn't show up but he'll figure out there was some sort of setup.

Anyone else notice Corrine having second thoughts? Maybe she'll come to Vic's rescue again as she did when she accused Kavenaugh of foul play?

kenmoorer

[8]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 2
    wr8280 wrote:

Its Pezuala, no Resian. Resian was the Amrenian mob leader.

I have a question for the people in the forum. Where did Vic's mysterious 100k come from? I was unsure about that plot deal. And why is Claudette so convinced that the money is dirty? When I saw the eppy from last week Vic said something like "I can't get that much money- I need more time." And Shane said "The person who masterminded the Armenian money train robbery? Get real." And then in this episode, The money seems to materialize out of nowhere. Did he rip off Beltran- or is that part of the money he has made working for Pezuala? Or did he rip off the 1-9ers? I must have missed something....

Vic knows something is wrong. He doesn't know why Shane didn't show up but he'll figure out there was some sort of setup.

Anyone else notice Corrine having second thoughts? Maybe she'll come to Vic's rescue again as she did when she accused Kavenaugh of foul play?

From what I could make of Vic getting the money. He told the 1-9er's a higher amount than what Beltran wanted and he pocketed the extra.

numberonecubsfa

[9]Nov 12, 2008
    Didn't care for this one. After the intense awesome of last week, more set up without much progression is not what we needed, especially with only 2 left now. Though I did love the final scene in the car, where Mara and Shane finally realize how alone they are.

hmnut7

[10]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 12

I am so sorry this is me being an anal jerk.

But those black guys were not the one-niners, I believe Vic referred to them as "the board," as best as I can tell they are old school, more established, slightly more upscale drug traffickers, not low level street gangs. But yes Vic upped the price Beltran said.

But back to the episode. I could almost cry at the fact that they have already have a solid case against Ronnie. Like Ronnie said anytime they want they can just walk up to his desk and put the cuffs on him. At least both Vic and Shane still have a decent shot of getting out. Part of me hopes at some point in the next two episodes Ronnie pulls a Danni and is just gone, doesn't even tell Vic. Kav said it to Ronnie in season 5 and it is coming true "You were discipline and careful, but not them (the other guys) they are going to bring you down for a mistake you were too smart to make." So on the one hand I hope Ronnie runs, on the other hand Ronnie is my favorite so I want more screen time with him.

Something is up with Claudette, she is was a total b-word to Dutch at the end of the episode. Um.... didn't he just hire you a maid to clean up the **** hole you call a house. Wasn't he the one who got Danni to help cover your desk so you would not have stuff fall through the cracks and get the barn shut down. I mean Dutch has been such a good friend to Claudette and since season 4 she has treated him like crap, really upsets me.

I didn't see anyone mention this, so it could be again be my extra anal ear. No one else got a chuckle out of Claudette saying she was calling Rampart for backup to take down Vic. For those who do not know The Rampart division of the LAPD was the center for a massive police corruption due to their anti-gang task force it was the direct inspiration for the Shield so much so that one of the original names for the show was "Rampart." So I laughed at that scene because I think that would be last place you would call if you wanted to bring down Vic, they would probably help Vic get out (for a cut). To be fair I am sure Rampart has been cleaned up.... still it funny they were the unit used to try and catch Vic.

Plonked

[11]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 16
    I have given up on this show. I have only liked one episode this season. I only watch the show now to find out what happens in the end. I was hoping that this show didnt die like this but it has.

hmnut7

[12]Nov 13, 2008

Plonked wrote:
    I have given up on this show. I have only liked one episode this season. I only watch the show now to find out what happens in the end. I was hoping that this show didnt die like this but it has.

You can not make a bold statement like that without backing it up. What makes you think the show is dying. Were you one of those people who expected the show to end with Vic becoming Captain of the barn?

wr8280

[13]Nov 13, 2008
    hmnut7 wrote:

Plonked wrote:

You can not make a bold statement like that without backing it up. What makes you think the show is dying. Were you one of those people who expected the show to end with Vic becoming Captain of the barn?

I'm not sure anyone noticed this but when Shane is talking to the mexicans Shane uses the word, "Muerto" to try to tell them that she's going to shoot them. But he's using the "I" conjugation and the future tense of the word so he's really saying "I will die." Whether this was intentional or not I don't know. Foreshadowing? or does my spanish need work?

hmnut7

[14]Nov 13, 2008

It has been established that Shane does not speak much Spanish, so I think you could be reading too much into it. I doubt Shane knows how to conjugate a verb at all.

AlexKrycec

[15]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    i liked the shane and mara scenes. it made me think of bonnie and clyde.

i also liked how the meeting point for corrine to give shane the money was at the same park where terry crowley accepted his terms to infiltrate the strike team. can't get any closer to the shows first episode than that (unless you put some characters back in two-times apartment).

ronnie has got to walk away. out of any single person on the strike team, he's heard the phrases "one more day," "one more chance," "one last shot at" WAAAY too much. I'd run, ronnie. get the hell out of there.

or would they turn to ronnie with this evidence and say, we know how entrenched you are with vic, help us put him away for good.

hmnut7

[16]Nov 13, 2008

AlexKrycec wrote:
    i also liked how the meeting point for corrine to give shane the money was at the same park where terry crowley accepted his terms to infiltrate the strike team. can't get any closer to the shows first episode than that (unless you put some characters back in two-times apartment).

I didn't even think about that, but that is pretty cool. Along the same lines. I was thinking the deal Vic has set up with ICE, it is the same deal Terry made with Justice. I get you this big fish, and you get me a job. And we all see how well that plan worked out for Terry.

Plonked

[17]Nov 13, 2008
    hmnut7 wrote:

Plonked wrote:

No Im not ones of these people that expected Vic to only go up in this last series. The old Shield had Vic being smartand cunning and now we are seeing him being sloppy and chickening out on things that he never would before e.g. when he tried to call Shane to warn him of the trap he was in.

We are seeing too much of Vics family life, yeh his fmily is involed in being kidnapped and balckmailed but its going too far. The whole Shane and Mara thing is getting boring too.

If you had read my previous posts from each episode you would see why I feel like this show has died.

Plonked

[18]Nov 13, 2008
    Did Shane and Mara drive a different newer car this week?

halfblack3128

[19]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 4
    Only 2 episodes left! Im excited and sad at the same time. Vic has done a lot of bad things but I hope that he doesnt end up dead or in jail. Im sure theyve got something big planned for the final two episodes though.

dgranitz2004

[20]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 9
    I disagree with some of you. I thought this episode was pure genius. The fact that they were trying to nail vic at the same place where terry made his deal was classic, smart, and brought the whole series together. A couple highlights from the episodes which I loved and may or may have not been pointed out or noticed by some of you...

FIRST, VIC HAD THE BOX OF SINS ALL ALONG. He didn't just find olivias file guys, he had the box the whole time...when he told ICE he was going to put it back in play it was all a lie. Beltran and the top mob officials wouldn't have been upset with pzeula so much and had so little confidence in him if he still had that box. Vic tries to pretend to be better than aceveda, but the whole pt is that he did the same exact thing aceveda did, he took the box and hid it "for a raining day." While it was more of a biatch move for aceveda to take olivias file to use in the future, vic basically did the same exact thing aceveda did. He kept her file until he could give it to her and grant her absolution at the time that would most benefit him. I LOVED that he had the box all along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im suprised alot of you didn't catch that. It'll be huge in the end.

Second I LOVE how claudette has turned into Kavanaugh! That is the best part of this episode for sure. So unexpected, but very clearly presented. She didn't even seem to care that Ronnie was dead to rights, just like Kavy didn't care that Lem was dead to rights...as kavy said, no one really wants that guy, they want the guy that put the others into motion. The worst and most interesting part is that claudette doesn't even seem to care enough to focus on Shane. He's a frickin cop killer, and all she seems to care about is nailing vic. So much so that shes completely running herself off the deep end, totally insane, and the whole point surely was to show her turning into kavy. Remember through the whole series how she always took a disliking, or worse a moral highground, against "personal vendettas" where people make things personal rather than as part of the job. Remember what she said to the assistant chief about kavanaugh? That he was ruining morale, and remember the look she gave him after he ran out of that office following his pissing speech? She also blew up and vic and aceveda more than a few times for their personal vendettas...well, she has now literally become kavanaugh, and in her case, it may actually literally kill her. literally...

Speaking of that, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED when she totally lost it and screamed "ronnie's his goddam errand boy!!!" Because not only did it clearly show how she has started to go insane, but it also points out a huge theme from the whole series. Remember in the pilot how terry said he wanted a job in justice because he didn't want to be an "errand boy in some alaskian outpost" and many times shane has ripped into vic/ronnie pointing out how ronnie is only his worsehorse and errand boy. That was a huge line, because up until this point, this is the only time ronnie specifically has been dead to rights and caught doing something illegal. In season 5, remember kavy points out that he's the only one that could skate clean...even though he really has always been vics errand boy, the guy he dumps things like wiretaps, bugs, etc on. Sadly, being his errand boy may be his downfall if he doesn't give up vic. Again, nobody wants that guy, they only want the one who put the errand boy into motion.

I also loved seeing wheelchair guy again. it's been yrs and that was great because it was supposed to paralell how things used to be in 1st season before all the drama and stress entered their lives, digging holes and trying to climb out of them, it was cool to see them work what appeared to be a mundane case, but was supposed to point to the past. I always liked that guy. Notice he called ronnie the last man standing too, that may be an allusion to the end, which we have all kinda been arguing for awhile, that he'd be the only one left alive.

Aceveda scenes, magnificent. The whole idea of vic and him respecting each others endgames is key. They've never been friends, and they tried to but never really ever had trust...but theyve always recongized they needed each other...and no more have they needed each other but now, approaching the end game. Im starting to believe that aceveda will help vic nail beltran and help him get his justice promotion and that vic might actually NOT give him up in the end. Again, i still think vic's gonna get the needle, so it is my contention that vic is going to have to give it all up, take the concequcnes like a man, and in doing so, he might actually leave aceveda out of his confession....maybe. Ive always thought it would be the other way but i am really starting to believe that aceveda might actually get away with everything in the end. remember a theme of the show has always been that the rule of law is nonexistent because politics/politicans are above the law. Im not saying this is the ending id prefer but I am starting to believe it may happen.

9.5/10 for this episode, and I only expect more from the final 2.