We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Shield Forums

FX (ended 2008)

Shows like The Shield and The Wire are both a blessing and a curse.....

Greenlit829

[1]Dec 19, 2008
    • level: 3

When you're a longtime devoted fan of upper-echelon, risky, grounbreaking, and amazing television like The Shield, The Wire, Six Feet Under and The Sopranos, it kind of spoils the rest of television for you. Which sucks, because currently there are NO shows on TV(besides Dexter I guess) that I would consider MUST-SEE TV.

After taking in a dark, complex and consistently excellent show like The Shield, watching an almost comical-by-comparison show like 24 with stupid action and explosions, dumb HO-HUM TERRORIST storylines, and wooden actors looking like they just stepped out of the salon just seems like a waste of time. Or when you watch an amazingly ambitious, sprawling, and complex urban drama like The Wire, watching a procedural network show like CSI or Law and Order or House where storylines are wrapped up in 3, neat little 14-minute cuts seems unthinkable.

So when the rest of television has been spoiled for you by a few extraordinary, "lightning-in-a-bottle" kind of shows (that have now ended :'(), when network tv seems bland, uninspired, and cliched, what do you watch? The DVDs all over again?? How many times can you that?

Edited on 01/04/2009 9:47am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gregsmack

[2]Dec 19, 2008
    • level: 9

I'm in your exact same situation right now and I've told this same dilemma to a few people. The Shield and The Wire are two of my three favourite shows and with them over now I spend a lot less time watching anything at all.

I recommend Battlestar Galactica (the third of my favourite shows). You're probably laughing at the title, but if you're at all interested in science fiction, give it a shot. Even if you aren't interested I think you should try it. It's a fantastic show that, like The Shield and The Wire, only gets the credit it deserves from small but dedicated fan bases. The final 10 episodes start airing in January so if you really try, you might be able to watch 3 1/2 seasons before January 16th (although marathons like that often leave a lot muddled). It's a Sci-Fi Channel show, so don't expect the level of grit that you might see from The Shield, although it is still plenty gritty (and plenty dark, my god) and uses a similar camera style too.

Season 1 is a very good beginning to the series, season 2 is even better (although it lulls a tad at one point), season 3 is a bit of a misstep but still important overall, and the first half of season 4 is VERY good and looks like it'll lead to some serious, serious sh*t in the second half.

Edited on 12/19/2008 2:32pm

rkd1234

[3]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 2
    I am thinking of watching Battlestar. I can't get into Dexter, I have watched the first 2 seasons but found myself hoping Doakes would get him and the finale really got to me. I also didn't like what I've seen of season 3.

lovemj

[4]Dec 31, 2008
    • level: 14
    Greenlit829 wrote:

So when the rest of television has been spoiled for you by a few extraordinary, "lightning-in-a-bottle" kind of shows (that have now ended :'(), when network tv seems bland, uninspired, and cliched, what do you watch? The DVDs all over again?? How many times can you that?

There are a handful of shows that I love, and none of them are currently airing. You nailed two of them - The Shield and The Wire. The problem I have with watching the DVD's is that the best part of these shows was the journey - the anticipation to see where they would go. You can only experience that once. All your left with to watch is the great acting and storytelling, but you already know how the story plays out.

One_winged_ange

[5]Apr 1, 2010

Watch Breaking Bad.

teroriztah

[6]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 8
    i dont like the wire.....i love the shield though.....

and breaking bad is good too...

KingofIPirates

[7]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 32
    One_winged_ange wrote:

Watch Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad is indeed great but I have to agree there is a lack of shows on tv that are truly excellent.

KatyDaniells

[8]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 1
    The Wire does set the standard, I'm watching it again!

tvgirl17

[9]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 15

Greenlit829 wrote:

Yes you can watch the DVDs again. For example, with a show like The Wire, the storytelling is so complex that I definitely think you can enjoy it upon a second viewing. Sure, a lot of the fun is in the journey, but I think the greatest thing about these shows is that they AREN'T ruined once you know where it's going - the writing and acting is such a treat you can still enjoy it. I like to compare great shows to watching complex movies - the first time you have to really pay attention cause the writers aren't going to spoon-feed you anything. The next viewing, you can sit back and relax and just enjoy the gift that was the show without worrying about catching all the subtle plot developments.

antonio010

[10]Mar 27, 2011
    I was thinking the same way you were until I found a show called Southland. If you like The Shield, check that show out. I swear watching it gives me flashbacks.