The Shield Forums

FX (ended 2008)

The Shield Forums Unofficial Etiquette... READ BEFORE YOU POST

DocMartigan

[1]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 5
    Hey all (you know who you are). I am going to attempt to make a set of guidelines... following in donut's footsteps, haha.

I don't know how the moderation thing works, but maybe we (we=the veterans here) can brainstorm on some basic etiquette guidelines, then once we have a list we like, get a mod to make that the top post, and sticky it?

Probably too little too late, but maybe it will have some effect come January.

Let me know what you think...

Anyway, here are some starter ideas.

I. BE CAUTIOUS OF WHERE YOU POST SPOILERS
    -If you start a new thread that contains, or will contain spoilers, please tag the subject line with "SPOILERS" after the subject.

-THINK about your thread titles. Don't name a thread;
    "OH MY GOD VIC IS DEAD?? *SPOILERS*" (just an example)
    Keep the spoilers INSIDE the post.

-If you are posting a spoiler inside a thread that isn't marked with a spoiler warning, please tag your post with "SPOILERS"

-Just use some common sense. There are a lot of people that are new to the show since it is airing from the beginning on Spike. Please try to keep this place as hospitable as possible for them and other people who have recently discovered the show. If I was new to the show, and found out by accident what happened in the Season 5 finale... it would have been a completely different viewing experience (in a bad way).

II. KEEP EPISODE COMMENTS IN THE OFFICIAL DISCUSSION

-This really won't apply to newcomers, since we won't have new official discussion threads for them (unless they make them). This will apply in January mostly.

- Feel free to branch off on a seperate topic about the episode... but after the Season 5 finale it got a little ridiculous. There were threads started that just contained things like "Man what a crazy episode", etc. A new thread that has a specific topic, like "Who else thinks (insert name) deserves to die?" is fine, since that kind of discussion would get lost in a general episode discussion.

Anyway, it can be a work in progress, but those are the two major issues I have right now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jonasjonasjonas

[2]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 1
    sounds good, but is there anyway to weed out all the nonsensical info within one thread though. i mean if someone wants to talk about one specific event in the episode and another wants to discuss a totally diff event, it would only clutter one thread.

DocMartigan

[3]Mar 22, 2006
    jonasjonasjonas wrote:
    sounds good, but is there anyway to weed out all the nonsensical info within one thread though. i mean if someone wants to talk about one specific event in the episode and another wants to discuss a totally diff event, it would only clutter one thread.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant in the second section, not sure I explained it well.

I think posting a new thread about a *specific* event, question, etc about the current episode is fine... but there were many threads that were started and just had a random comment in it, lol.

Like for "Pilot" if there were an official discussion, I might make a post that said "Pedophiles *SPOILERS*" and then discuss the pedophiles in the episode, and what Vic did to one of them, and wondering if it was right or wrong.

A discussion like that would definitely get lost or just ignored in the official thread, so I would make a seperate one for it.

However, if I just wanted to make a new thread that said "Man that was an awesome episode! I love Kid Rock!!11!" that would just be silly.

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[4]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 10
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 03/23/2006 1:41pm
    Edited 2 total times.

DocMartigan

[5]Mar 23, 2006
    Can we get this stickied please?

Xx_King_Beef_xX

[6]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 10
    Figured I better delete that last one if you want it stickied.

donutsfordinner

[7]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 7
    Can we add SPELL CHECK? I don't mind a few errors here and there because we all make them, myself included, but when people talk using (lots of) slang, incomplete sentences, and poor spelling, it makes for a really crappy post.

I agree completely about the new posts. I don't mind a post pertaining to a certain event or person but I hate the threads that have no point. Especially ones like, "Hi. I'm new and I love The Shield." Please don't introduce yourself in a new thread. How annoying.

Oh yeah. New people should read old threads at least the past 20 or so. It may be long and tedious but it's annoying to see the same topic over and over. You are going to get a better reaction if it's something FRESH. Or at least a new twist on something old. And we have been posting from the BEGINNING of the season that one of the main characters was going to die. We all knew that. But yet I've seen about 15 posts that say "I heard one of the main characters is going to die." No crap.

And it would be nice if people watched at least several episodes before posting some stupid crap like "I think Lem will kill Kavanaugh" (that would never happen if you knew Lem) or "I think Kavanaugh is making his investigation personal" (duh).

Do I sound harsh? I don't mean to be but it sucks that Tuesday was the BEST episode ever but I can't get through all this new crap to really respond to how I felt about it. This is a very tough time for me...mourning the loss of Lem.

Gino24

[8]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 51
    This thread is a good idea. We should also include a link to the TOS. When the basic set of guidelines are finally agreed on by everybody, I’ll copy and paste them into a new thread. Then it will be locked and pinned. Here are some modified forum rules from the old tv tome site to take into consideration.

No Personal Attacks

This is place where people should feel comfortable contributing their ideas and opinions on the show. Do not lash out or insult anyone because you your annoyed by something like a mistake they made or you don't agree with their ideas or posts.

If they made a mistake, kindly correct them. If you don't agree with something they posted, then post your own ideas. Hopefully this will spark a discussion between the two of you and others on the forum about this topic. Another option is to just ignore the person if something about their post bothers you, and you don’t feel like dealing with them.

Creating new topic threads

If there is another topic or question that you want to discuss related to The Shield and you want to make a new thread, first check if there is already a thread created for it.

Though it might be tedious, search through the other forum pages or through other sections in the guide to see if your topic or question was previously brought up and discussed. If you can't locate it after a thorough search, feel free to create a new thread.
    Edited on 03/23/2006 5:30pm

DocMartigan

[9]Mar 23, 2006
    Thanks Gino!

And is it possible to move posts around? Like if we combined all the Guidelines we wanted into one post, could we make that the first post people see when they enter the thread?

Synetech

[10]Mar 24, 2006
    • level: 22
    It should be pointed out that REVIEWS can also be spoilers. I just saw some about the results of "Post Partem" which totally ruined it for me. I'll still watch the episode when/if it airs (stupid Canada!) but now I will not be surprised [read shocked].

AG19

[11]Mar 24, 2006
    • level: 9
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 03/24/2006 4:24pm

DocMartigan

[12]Mar 24, 2006
    Synetech wrote:
    It should be pointed out that REVIEWS can also be spoilers. I just saw some about the results of "Post Partem" which totally ruined it for me. I'll still watch the episode when/if it airs (stupid Canada!) but now I will not be surprised [read shocked].

Yeah that sucks, sorry to hear that.

Gino24

[13]Mar 25, 2006
    • level: 51
    Synetech, sorry to hear that also. In the past, some editors had made requests for the ability to edit reviews that contains spoilers. It seems that nothing came of it. Maybe in the future, the tv.com staff will address this, but they are currently busy fixing different things on the site.

Doc, I think the finalized guidelines thread will remain somewhat at the top after they are locked and pinned. They might move around if someone post in the music thread or in a future episode discussion thread.

Synetech

[14]Mar 26, 2006
    • level: 22
    Thanks, but it turns out I WAS surprised. I kept picturing a gun being used and wasn't sure (although I could guess) about the context.

Great (awful) ending.

courtneydoss

[15]May 9, 2007
    • level: 2
    This is stupid.. isn't this site for fun? Now there are rules...and spell check...come on...

jacouver

[16]May 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    i missed a few shows...can anyone tell me why shane said he killed lem?..i thought vic put the grenade in his car.