We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Shield Forums

FX (ended 2008)

What brought it all to an end?

sebkane6

[1]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 2

Interesting question a co-worker of mine brought up the other day. What really caused everything to come to an end for everyone? We thought about it and had a few other fans join in with us to see what we could come up with. Now the challenge was to avoid the obvious, such as "Shane shouldn't have killed Lem!" or "Vic shouldn't have killed Terry!". Long story short, I had the "winning" answer....Vic getting the gangs to look for Shane. Think about it...at the time he was still working with ICE and was on good terms with them. Shane was on the run and had 100 grand in his pocket. Once the president came and the cops were tied up, he was gone. Corinne was just starting to work with the cop but had nothing to give them. So far, so good, right? Then Shane gets robbed by the gang members which causes them to get Corinne to get money from Vic, which in turn led to Corinne getting "arrested" which, in turn led to Vic making his deal and Ronnie ended up getting screwed for it. Also, Shane, being broke, ended up getting Mara hurt by trying to rob those guys and that was basically it for them. What do you guys think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Greenlit829

[2]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 3

If Ronnie hadn't tampered with Shane's gun like an IDIOT, the night him and Vic tried to have him killed, NONE of this would have happened.

I'll leave you to figure out why. But it's pretty simple.

Edited on 12/04/2008 11:30am
    Edited 2 total times.

hmnut7

[3]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 12

IMO the answer is Mara stealing the money money train cash (season 3). I have said it before that's when the wheels fell off the wagon for the strike team.

The team was an united front up until she took the cash, then they started a cycle of mistrust that lead to their first downfall. They got back together but only after Lem put his ass on the line stealing drugs to protect Shane, the team was a united front but at the same time stealing the drugs was the first time anyone (in this case IAD) had hard evidence of the teams misdeeds. And of course once Kav had his hands in Lem, trying to get Lem free they dig themselves deeper and then Shane kills Lem and then Ronnie and Vic try to kill Shane for that and then Shane tries to kill them and back and forth until it ends up where it ends up.

Kern says one of my favorite lines in the series "I can steer the ship, but I can't turn it around." Before Mara stole the money the strike team could have rode off into the sunset after she took it set the stage for the next 4 seasons and things ending how they ended. It is possible that different outcomes could have steered the ship to a slightly different results but Mara stealing the money is the what put it all in motion.

It can be said of course that Vic killing Terry is what caused it all to come to an end, but that's like saying "if Vic wasn't a dirty cop it would not be brought to this end." I mean Vic killing Terry is at the core of the show, it has always be about what would happen because he killed Terry, if he didn't kill Terry it would be a totally different show.

Edited on 12/03/2008 6:23am

Greenlit829

[4]Dec 3, 2008

Ronnie doesn't tamper with Shane's gun.

Shane doesn't think Vic and Ronnie tried to have him killed, just that he was really, really lucky.

Vic decides that "he's not Shane" and hard as it may be, tries to get past what Shane did to Lem.

Shane doesn't try to get revenge and hire a lowlife gangmember to kill Ronnie(and Ronnie FINALLY gets some bootay!!).

Shane and Mara don't go on the run.

When it's all over, Shane puts in for a transfer out of The Barn like he said he would, and Vic and Ronnie never have to look at him again.

In the end, maybe Vic keeps his badge for nailing Cruz Pezuela.

Edited on 12/03/2008 8:47am
    Edited 4 total times.

sebkane6

[5]Dec 3, 2008

Sorry for not elaborating on this but me and my co-workers were discussing post-Ronnie getting shot at when Shane took off. Going back before that.....yeah, "fixing" Shane's gun wasn't too smart. Hell, they had the Armenians set up to be killed so they could've just waited until afterwards to play it by ear depending on if Shane died or not. However, you'd still have Mara to deal with as she still knows everything and would most likely blame Vic and Ronnie anyway. As far as Mara taking the money way back in the day...yeah, that split the team apart but at least they were all still alive. I'd go with Shane hooking up with Antwon since his inability to think like Vic got him jammed, Lem bailed him out, got busted for it, etc etc.

Nope, still gotta stick with Vic calling in the gangs as being the event that cemented how the end would go.

thekatman24

[6]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 1
    I always believed that had Mara NEVER entered the picture none of this would have happened. Think about it...since she came into Shane's life, he forgot who he was and the role he played on the team (she was always in his ear about being led around by the nose by Vic and divisive...Remember when Vic tried to extend an olive branch and she basically accused him of trying to do her). I always remember feeling a change in the tide when she first appeared. The show had different feel since she arrived although it maintained it's greatness, I never, ever liked that her...she divided and ultimately conquered the team. Agreed?

mik_64

[7]Dec 3, 2008
    Emolia giving evidence on Lem, they were clear of everything up-to that point. This led to Shane killing Lem and the rest is history

sebkane6

[8]Dec 3, 2008

thekatman24 wrote:
    I always believed that had Mara NEVER entered the picture none of this would have happened. Think about it...since she came into Shane's life, he forgot who he was and the role he played on the team (she was always in his ear about being led around by the nose by Vic and divisive...Remember when Vic tried to extend an olive branch and she basically accused him of trying to do her). I always remember feeling a change in the tide when she first appeared. The show had different feel since she arrived although it maintained it's greatness, I never, ever liked that her...she divided and ultimately conquered the team. Agreed?

Hmm, possibly. However, I still feel that at some point Lem would've had second thoughts about the whole thing. Mara didn't help at all. In fact, she may have aided in pushing things along but I still feel at some point Lem would've gotten too worried about things and did the same thing he did to begin with...burning the money. Keep in mind they found out that the money was marked because of her. However, it could have been any one of them. Maybe Vic went to use some of it towards his kids and they found out that way (man, how would THAT storyline have turned out? Vic using marked Armenian drug money for his kids' school!). Or maybe they used it on the streets and found out somehow that it was marked. Who knows but eventually it would've come to light and I'm sure, again with Lem being who he was, that things would've pretty much gone the same route...he destroys the loot, Shane gets mad and goes off to hook up with Antwon, etc. The only difference being that without Mara and Jackson, Shane had no one to protect but himself. So, if things had gone basically the same, would Shane had blown up Lem to just protect himself or did he only do it to protect his family? Keep in mind he compared it to Vic killing Terry so it's quite possible Shane might've thought along those lines...that he was protecting his Strike Team family just as in the "real world", so to speak, he did it to be able to stay with his real family. Besides, the whole "Mara never should've come along" idea is too easy to use. Again, you might as well say "Vic killing Terry screwed things up!" or "Shane blowing up Lem ended it!"

sebkane6

[9]Dec 3, 2008

mik_64 wrote:
    Emolia giving evidence on Lem, they were clear of everything up-to that point. This led to Shane killing Lem and the rest is history

Hmm...I don't think so. Someone else mentioned this at work and it was unanimously shot down. They weren't clear of anything, really. They were being investigated by IAD thanks to Rawlings. That's what led them to getting the drugs from Lem's car. While she didn't help matter much, we really didn't think her input could be considered something truly caused their downfall. Now if you had said "Kavanaugh investigating Antwon's prison and cauing him to lose his "perks", which in turn made him cancel his deal with Vic for protecting Lem"...that might have worked.

BTW, I'm not looking to get into endless arguments with anyone here and I hope you go through my original post and see if you can tear it apart! I'm just looking to see if anyone can come up with a truly defining moment where there was simply no way out from the ending that took place. Right now I think my moment (Vic calling on the gangs) was where it locked everything into place as far as the fates of the different characters went.

rkd1234

[10]Dec 4, 2008
    I think meeting Mara was the thing that 'sped everything along' but the team were doomed since they took the life of another cop. Kavanaugh did his chewing gum trick on Lem the day he held out his hand for him to shake, after having arrested him, so that seems to suggest that Lem would have eventually cracked, after all, Corrine did and Acevada didn't.

thegarz

[11]Dec 13, 2008
    • level: 9
    my important turning points:

1. Lem getting paranoid and burning the money
    2. Kavanaugh. Period.
    3. Mara. Period.

And I guess you have to have Shane not picking up his phone (although I would guess even though Vic had compassion, Ronnie would not)

buchdogg

[12]Dec 14, 2008
    Depending on how you want to look at it, either Corrine working with the cops against Vic, or Vic taking the deal with ICE. After all this is all just Chaos theory 101.

Gregsmack

[13]Dec 16, 2008
    Vic shooting Terry. Most of what happened in the series wouldn't have occured without that event. I don't have time to make an argument, but if you do a rewatch you'll see that everything can be traced back to the Terry murder. This is actually a strength of The Shield as a series. No other show handles cause and effect like this one. It's the reason why I think it's the tightest, most narratively sound TV drama ever to air (alongside The Wire of course, imo, but the shows are way too different to ever draw any kind of comparison -- they both do what they do expertly).

wr8280

[14]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    Vic said it himself- The Armenian money train robbery was the beginning of the end for the Strike Team when he confesses in the 2nd to last eppy.

buchdogg

[15]Dec 17, 2008
    I think we all learned that Vic wasn't right about everything.

avi01

[16]Mar 29, 2009
    • level: 26
    Lem`s heroin case......the beginning of the end.

Bisrossk

[17]May 7, 2009

wr8280 wrote:
    Vic said it himself- The Armenian money train robbery was the beginning of the end for the Strike Team when he confesses in the 2nd to last eppy.

They were in the clear for that, even after Mara stole some for her mother. And while the team broke up for a bit after Lem burned it, they came back together again and were in the clear until Shane told the Armenians that Vic stole it screwed things up. And he only did that because of what happened to Lem, and that was caused by nine other reasons.

In the endgame, though, the biggest factors were Ronnie pulling the pin on the gun (Vic was obviously willing to let Shane live, and try to help him), Vic putting a hit on Shane's head (lost the cash), Corrine telling Dutch about the calls from Mara (if they weren't there, Shane could have got another hundred grand), and Shane getting jumped (as it lead to Mara getting hurt, which prevented him from running). Lotta factors at play there, even in just the last two episodes.

Romano338

[18]Oct 26, 2013
    • level: 8
    Armenian Money Train.
    Started to fall apart right there.