The Shield

Of Mice and Lem

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 14, 2006 on FX

• Yet another fantastic thought provoking and emotional episode.

Wow, The Shield never fails to blow me away and this episode really hit me.

After falling a little behind (Season 6 is now playing on UKTV) and having to record episodes of Season 6 to watch later, I'm just catching up on Season 5. Having watched the majority of it over the last couple of days and seeing this episode tonight, yet again it's neatly coming towards a huge and emotional finale.

The breakdown of Forrest Whittaker's character has been fantastically written, and at times I found myself laughing, thinking, sad and every possible emotion in this episode.

What got me the most was the striking ending to the episode. Whoever picks out the music to use couldn't have possibly done any better. The music of The Smashing Pumpkins with the song Disarm, played while we see snapshots of Lem leaving to go on the run etc were absolutely perfect. I'm now totally desperate to watch the finale of the season, which I will later tonight, and am already very sad as unfortunately I know the outcome of a certain character (although not what or why it happens.)

Yours truly, from the edge of my seat...a position I'm used to ever since I started watching the best cop show ever made.