The Shield

Of Mice and Lem

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 14, 2006 on FX

• I've been up all night watching these last few episodes of Season 5. I can't believe how bummed I am that it's ending, and there is no S6 DVD out yet. Man, I thought I got hooked on 24 and The Sopranos- this is a whole new level of drama. Simply amazing.

In that way that only The Shield can do, this episode takes an already pressure-filled situation and dials the tension up to 11. So much happens in this episode: Vic's "best-laid plan" goes awry, nullifying his protection deal with Antwon, and sending Lem on the run. Claudette is tapped as the new Captain, but her issues with Dutch continue. Julien gets some sorely missed screen time in a very well-written arc. And Kavanaugh continues to unravel, along with his case... but don't count this guy out yet.

Vic's moral roller coaster ride continues. In his righteous quest to save Lem, he sells his soul again and again- his seduction of Sadie to get to Kavanaugh, (by the way, Gina Torres' a$$ should've been at least nominated for an Emmy- dayum, that girl is fine!) his participation in the PD warehouse robbery (and his cold-blooded abandonment of the dying Kern Little), his seduction of Becca, (at this point I don't think even he is aware of his true motivation- does he really care for her, or is this just his way of manipulating her?) and his decision to send Lem on the run, knowing that this screwed Lem's deal with the DA.

I can't believe how good this show is- wow!