The Shield

Strays

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM May 18, 2004 on FX

• What???? Say it ain't so! This episode is such a departure it should have been a dream sequence. I kept expecting Bobby Ewing to step out of the shower at any minute.

Strays is an apt name for this episode, probably one of my least favorite so far. Why? Because it strays so far afield of the successful recipe The Shield has hewn to through lo, these 3 seasons. Okay, maybe that's a little too harsh an assessment. The episode has a serviceable enough storyline, with the Team stumbling onto a promising lead on a money laundering operation. Shane makes a rash move (what a surprise), and Vic gets more bad news on the home front. Danny goes undercover with the Team, and Claudette's budding romance seems to be going swimmingly. So, what's my problem with this ep, you may ask? It's the Dutch storyline. I think they bungled it. He finds the rapist, but then in what I think is a bit of misguided writing, he begins to identify too strongly with the guy. And the ending... too, too weird and out of character for me. Oh well, there's always the next episode... and, who knows- Bobby may still walk out of that shower yet.