The Shield

String Theory

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM May 17, 2005 on FX

• I have read a couple of reviews that characterized this as a filler episode- I respectfully disagree. While I am as impatient as anyone for the inevitable showdown with Antwon to happen, this installment felt was not a placeholder- it was classic Shield.

From the riveting opening of two missing (and feared dead) cops to the anxiety-laden ending, with Antwon about to be interrogated, this episode had me. The Shield excels at giving us a view of the camaraderie that exists among police officers, and the premise of this episode allowed it to do just that. This viewer really felt the urgency of the characters as they tried to find their comrades.

The noose continues to tighten on Shane and Army, as the heat comes down on Antwon. Will he implicate them? Monica makes a fateful decision to implicate an innocent man as the cop killer in order to quiet down the streets. You can bet this one is going to come back to bite her. Oh, and Wyms gets righteously indignant about it-what else is new?

Great, tension-filled episode.
  • This episode was a C. It was obviously a transition ep that got us to the interrogation of Antoine and all the stuff about the dead girl coming out. Of course the cops end up dead. Only on the Shield would there be no happy ending.

7.4
    This episode was a C. It was obviously a transition ep that got us to the interrogation of Antoine and all the stuff about the dead girl coming out. Of course the cops end up dead. Only on the Shield would there be no happy ending. I'm just upset they didn't establish those characters throughout the season so we could have *some* emotional attachment to them. Killing off two random cops is no different than "Yeoman Johnson" beaming down to Omicron Persei 8 with Spock, McCoy and Kirk. Nonetheless, seeing those bodies was still kinda disturbing. Next week it looks like it's going to pop off though.
  • Just like old times, the boys unites but this time to put Antwon down.

So Vic accepts to help Shane and along with Ronny and Lem (who does not really agree) they`re on to stop Antwon. I somehow wanted Vic to refuse to help Shane but I`m not unhappy either, it`s still very interesting.
    Two cops are killed, seen that before but still good to see everyone uniting for the cause....even Aceveda ;) It`s me or this character is going absolutely nowhere...jealous that the b*tch he is literally raping has another client,back on the streets and getting punched...the tip he gave to Rawling may be the best thing he has done this season. (That chick he`s getting is frustration on is still hot tho)
    I was afraid we would get yet another annoying Claudette moral stuff when told to lie.

So overall there was some aspect that I did not really like but still the episode was highly enjoyable. I like the cliffhanger..had the "took you long enough" feeling.
  • Another decent transitional episode.

This and the previous episode of the Shield are transitional episodes.

They establish the storylines , connect them, develop the characters, so it can all lead up to an amazing finale.

Now that Shane's back in the team, Vic comes up with a plan to make everything right.

Meanwhile, two missing cops are reported. Unfortunately, both found that. The main suspect is Antwon, who's later picked up by Vic and Shane. However, he denies the deaths, which is interesting, because he seemed to be honest about it.

The ending is great, Vic and Shane made a deal with Antwon, however, Monica has different plans with him...The episode ends with a medium cliffhanger, right at the start of the interrogation which is led by Monica.

Overally, a bit slow at parts, but that's what transitional episodes are about. I'm sure the upcoming episodes will be much faster paced.