The Simpsons

A Milhouse Divided

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 01, 1996 on FOX

• this was a good ep

in this ep of the simpsons show everyone all the parents come and have a party at night and there playing games and stuff thing is that milhouse parents are the only ones not getting along and they end up geting into a huge fight and she says she wants a divorse right infront of all of them and leaves.and homer thinks there marage is introuble and things seem to go wrong for him then she agrees to renew her vows him homer. this was agood ep itought and showed some excitement . and that is why i gave it a 8.5
  • The Divorce

Luann and Kirk split up, and soon Homer worries he and Marge will too. Will Homer be able to save their marriage?

A pretty simple episode. The Simpsons have a dinner party with other families, but it soon becomes apparent that the Van Houtens are having marital issues. So they have a divorce. Soon, Kirk talks to Homer about how things can change, and Homer worries he and Marge are going to go down a similar road.

Some fans don't really like this episode, particularly how it changes from Kirk and Luann to about Homer and Marge, but I love this episode. Great plot.
  • Milhouse's parents split up.

The Simpsons hold a dinner party, and invite the Van Houtens, Flanders, Hibberts, and Lovejoys. In front of the guests, Luann Van Houten announces she wants to divorce Kirk. Homer is confident that this will never happen to him, until Kirk tells him how quickly things change. Homer arrives home and receives a note about having to make his own dinner, and realizes he has taken his marriage for granted. He overcompensates by smothering Marge with love. She gets fed up and he goes to the courthouse to file for divorce. He arrives home and calls Marge into the living room. He surprises her by asking for a second marriage. Reverend Lovejoy performs the ceremony in their living room. Inspired by the two, Kirk asks Luann if she will marry him again, to which she refuses. So many things went through me while watch this episode, sadness, laughter, and happiness. This is a very funny and heartfelt episode even if it does end badly for kirk.
  • Milkhouse's family ends.

This has been by far the least enjoyable episode of this season. I did'nt laugh once during the whole show. First of all, Milkhouse's family is such a group of very detestable people. The mother, Luan, is an angry person who is always telling Milkhouse and his dad what to do (although in this episode she spoils Milkhouse letting him do anything he wants)Kirk is a not very likeable man either. And Milkhouse has been a judas to Bart in many ocassions. Yep, they are not the Simpsons.

The Simpsons compared to the Van Houtens are a great family but compared to the Flanders, they are better too!
  • A very sad episode

In a move that will surely cause even more psychological damage for their son Milhouse, Kirk and Luann Van Houten split up in a messy, public way. Each Van Houten deals with the breakup differently: Luann begins dating an American Gladiator named Pyro while Kirk kicks off a new career a singer, self-producing an album called "Can I Borrow a Feeling?" Milhouse, for his part, takes his parents' break-up in stride and loses his mind even more than before. Meanwhile, Homer starts panicking that Marge might one day want to divorce him. To prevent that from ever happening, he files for divorce first and then remarries her in a surprisingly romantic ceremony. Sadly, there's no such happy ending for the Van Houtens, who remain divorced.
  • Kirk, and Luanne Van Houten get a divorce, and Homer fears the same for him, and Marge.

The Simpsons decide to have a dinner party. They invite most of the people they know, but during the dinner Kirk, and Luanne start to fight. After one fateful game of Pictionary, Kirk and Luanne fight, and get a divorce. Luanne is okay with the break-up, and Kirk's life is going down the toilet. After the signs show that Homer and Marge may get a divorce, Homer re-marries, to make Marge happy, Kirk tries to get back with Luanne, but he fails.
  • After Millhouses parents get a divorce, Homer worries Marge will want one too.

The Simpsons invite some of their married friends to a dinner party. At the party, Kirk and Luann (Millhouse's parents) fight and argue. Luann announces she want a divorce. Homer is confident that Marge won't get a divorce until Kirk tells him how quickly things changed. Homer accidently smothers Marge and she gets mad. Homer goes to the courthouse to file for divorce. That night when he returns home, he su[rises Marge by asking her to marry him again. They make new vowels and Rev. Lovejoy remarries them. Kirk gets inspired by Homer and Marge and asks Luann if she'll marry him again. She says no.
  • Another classic Simpsons episode

I truly thought this episode was excellent. The way Milhouse's parents broke up during the party was well-handled, and there were some funny quotes to be had during it, particulary the ones during the drawing game and such. Other good laughs throughout this episode involved things like Homer looking and Kirk's tape, and laughing, and Kirk saying "Go ahead, Homer laugh at me" with Homer responding "I already did". And although this episode turned into a Homer/Marge episode halfway through, I still thought it was well done. And Kirk's song at the end of the episode was funny. Excellent episode, and easily makes my top 10 Simpsons episodes.
  • Good character development; why did it have to be ruined?

Sunday, December 1, 1996. The Simpsons airs.

In this tale, Marge invites various friends over. During the dinner party, it becomes clear that Kirk and Luanne Van Houten\\\'s marriage isn\\\'t going as planned, and they divorce - creating conflicting loyalties for their son, Milhouse.

Homer is scared by the prospect of his marriage turning out like theirs, and starts trying unnecessarily to convince Marge he still loves her. Eventually, he files for divorce, but so that they can have a second wedding, this far better.

After the wedding, after delivering an absolutely horrible (yet hilarious) song, \\\"Can I Borrow a Feelin\\\'?\\\" Kirk asks Luanne to marry him again, of course getting a flat no.

This episode is a personal favorite, for many reasons. Firstly, this was quite a realistic episode, as it shows that some marriages will simply not work, even though one side may try to reconcile what drove the two apart. It then created what I found to be good character development, providing Milhouse with the troubles of his loyalty to his mother, and to his father.

...as for what became of this, some time later...well, read my review of that episode for my comments.
  • the homer leave the house

Homer finds his marriage in jeopardy when Milhouse's parents break up and get divorced. Things get uneasy for Bart and Milhouse, and Kurt isn't having a good time either. I liked this episode because in other episodes Kurt and Juann are stll divorced, so it isn't just for this one episode. I laughed a lot. This episode had a great story and ending, I was glad Homer and Marge got back together. Trust me, this ep is very good and a welcome addition to Season 8. Even though this episode idea has been repeated in other shows, I still enjoyed it. I hope they show this again because so far I have seen this only once. Milhouse Divided is an exciting Milhouse episode I really liked and really laughed about.and that the end
  • "Can I Borrow A Feeling."

This is one of my favorite episodes of the Simpsons. One of my all-time favorite Simpsons scenes is when Milhouse's dad , Kirk I think ,shows Homer his recording of a song called "Can I Borrow A feeling." After showing Homer the singe, Homer preceeds to laugh out loud mocking him with no reguard of being polite. That was just a classic example of the Simpsons sense of humor. I love it when they basicaly laugh at someone else's misery. This is definitely one of the greatest Simpsons eipsodes of all time. I can't wait for season 8 to come out on dvd.
  • Funny and pivotal episode.

• millhouse's parents get divorced which affects homer and marge's relationship.

there are so many great homerismsin this episode, it would take days to list them all but my absolute favourite quote of the whole episode would have to be:

Homer (referring to fancy bowl): "marge, we can't afford this"
    Marge: "well, maybe we could use it once and then return it"
    Homer: "marge, we're not talking about a toothbrush here".

and there is a classic moment where he divorces marge just so that his second marriage to marge was a real one.

millhouse's character isn't really explored too much in this episode considering it's his parents that are divorcing. kirk's cornball song "can i borrow a feeling" was a great addition to his pathetic life.
FOX