The Simpsons

Bart the Genius

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 14, 1990 on FOX

Episode Fan Reviews page 3 of 3

• Bart swaps tests with Martin and everyone thinks hes smart

Not bad. Got a few cool things in it. The first ever nude scene in it. I like how Bart blows up the smart school with green goop. Plus, it was funny with Bart's word of 'Kwijibo'. Very funny episode and i hope that other people think so too. ok.
  • The real series premire

7.7
    Bart, Bart, Bart. What is there to say about you?
    Anyway, in this episode bart cheats on the intelligince test by switching tests with class brain Martin Prince. So when i watch this episode,here is what i thought the big jokes were.
    1.The opera theater scene with bart, homer, and lisa making akward noises.
    2.Bart destroying the classroom and later running naked in the house while homer chases him around.
    But otherwise in other parts.. i just dont understand some of the episode. Why? I didnt think there was a lot of jokes in this episode. But there was one that i thought was good.
    Bart making art of principal skinner with him saying "i am a weiner" (spelt like the sign said) So overall i give this episode an 7.7
    See ya!
  • This was among the better episodes in the first season. And it really showcased what this show could do.

One of my favorite scenes in this episode is when Bart is taking the test and he has the imagines himself on a train (to solve one of the math problems) and ends up having a nightmare. It was one of the first flashbacks/dream sequences that the show ever did. And, especially during the early years, it would become the show's trademark. No other comedy on TV could pull off those quite like the animated Simpsons.

I also liked the gifted school. The writers on the show were already revealing themselves to be quite intelligent by this time. "You're damned if you do and damned if you don't" is Bart's lame attempt at a paradox.

Interestingly, the Dr. Pryor character that was introduced here as Springfield's school counselor never really took off. From the way he was presented in this episode, we might expect he would become a regular to the series.

Anyway, I have a tough time giving this episode too strong a grade because of the choppy animation and such that plagued the Simpsons first season. If you didn't start watching the show until its later years, you will have a tough time getting into this episode because of that.

Otherwise, it's one of the better ones they did early on. It got good reviews from the critics at the time and helped the show explode in popularity early on.

• After Bart cheats on an intelligence test, he is enrolled in a genius school.

Another triumph for the good, and another brutal beating for evil. Bart gets what he morally deserves.

One thing that attracts me to The Simpsons is how evil deeds are not often rewarded. This episode was probably the first to do that. I guess cheating on an intelligence test got Bart into a bit of a dillema. At first, it seems as if his troubles are over when he arrives at the genius school. After all, you are free to relax and read the selection you choose. However, Bart is confused in class discussions, and the children find out that Bart is a fraud. He is taken advantage of by some of the smart people.

If Bart hadn't faked his way into genius school, he would have had a much better experience. And that is a key element to the series itself. And I adore the element of good triumphing!

There are many funny moments in the episode including, "You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't." Classic Bart Simpson quote. And I love how Homer's signatures look like silly excuses to get out of school, although they aren't. But I just can't chuckle at the opera scene. The jokes are very unoriginal. All in all, this was a great episode.
1 2 3 >