The Simpsons

Bart the Genius

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 14, 1990 on FOX

• Bart swaps tests with Martin and everyone thinks hes smart

Not bad. Got a few cool things in it. The first ever nude scene in it. I like how Bart blows up the smart school with green goop. Plus, it was funny with Bart's word of 'Kwijibo'. Very funny episode and i hope that other people think so too. ok.
  • A funny episode delving deeper inside Barts mind.

6.2
    This is one of my favourite episodes ever. I love how easily Bart can change his report card and Martin isnt so geeky. I used to sit and watch the train question for ages in slow motion and I said to my self DAMN am I ever goin to answer this question. This is also delving deeper into Barts mind and his actions. I love the theatre scene where Homer Bart and suprisingly Lisa are messing around. The ending is a classic where it ends with Homer and Bart having a father son chat and then Homer becoming furious with Bart for cheating.
  • An in-depth look into Bart's true character.

While not nearly as strong as the Christmas special that first launched the series, "Bart the Genius" is still a slightly-above-average episode that gets us to know the mischievious character of Bart a lot better. It's obvious that he generally does dismally in school, so he pulls a prank that helps boost his grade in the other direction, at the expense of his brainy classmate, Martin Prince (Who is, BTW, my most hated character on the entire show). Bart is the classic troublemaker, a modern-day Dennis the Manace, if you will. Running around the house naked, disgracing the principal, etc. A lot of the humor in this episode is on the silly side, and silly humor isn't necessarily what the show's known best for, but it's decent enough for Season 1.
  • Bart's smart... or is he?

6.9
    The first season of "The Simpsons" contains some episodes that simply aren't that great. In my opinion, this is one of those episodes.

The story, in brief, is this: Bart cheats on an aptitude test and is ushered into a school for gifted children. While he initially welcomes the change he soon finds that he's gotten himself in over his head.

This is the first episode in which we see Bart's underachieving ways. He wants to succeed academically but he just doesn't have the drive and the intelligence. Luckily, his parents support him either way, though Homer isn't too pleased at the end of the particular episode.

These early episodes, while sometimes lacking in entertainment value, were nevertheless essential when it came to establishing character. So, while this episode isn't necessarily that funny it makes it easier to connect with the characters later on in the series.
  • Shows Bart's Personality.

Bart is treated like a genius after switching his paper with Maritn Prince on itelligence test. He is sent to a different school where the kids use their intelligence to make fun of him. Marge tries to nutures his mind by taking him to events like opera. At the end they relize he isnt a genius but isnt so dumb ethier.It shows how bart acts and is treated at home and at school. This isnt a funny episode at all but has a good plot. It is mostly a character devlopment episode. It is an average classic episode I give it a 7.0 .
  • In this episode we learn about the trouble maker of the entire cartoon series, Bart.

7.2
    This is another good episode for the simpsons. There aren't many jokes in this episode, however this episode is more of a revealing eposide about the bad boy Bart.

We learn that Bart obviously causes a lot of trouble at school, and gives a hard time to all.

However in this episode about Bart, Bart cheats on a IQ test, by swapping his name with the smartest kid in the class. As a result Bart gets sent to a school which if for kids with high IQ's. Bart obviously does not fit in here, and eventually his classmates in the class don't like him. Bart ends up telling Homer he cheated, which doesn't result to well.
  • This was a fairly average episode.

7.3
    In this episode. Bart is having problems in class since they got a test. When he is annoyed by the most intelligent person in his class - Martin Prince. He decides to switch the test with Martin's. In the psychologue office. The psychologist says that Bart is a genius and must be sent in a smart school. Homer is very proud of his son's accomplishement. Sends him there. Arriving, Bart has trouble fitting in with the "cool" kids. As he learns being smart isn't that easy.

This episode, was a fairly average episode. Great plot idea: Loved the idea of Bart "being" a genius.

Humor: Lacks it. It doesn't have much "laught out loud" scenes/jokes.

In other words. This a watchable Simpsons episode, just not worth to rewatch it.
  • when bart cheats on a special test he gets sent to a genious school.

7.4
    oooo o o oo oo o o oo hhhhhhh ho hoo oh oh o ho woho man I love watching The simpsons. The second episode was great but it needs tuning but its a clasic. So yeah I cant think of any thing else to s aaaaaaa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a aaa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a Hey stop that. well you get what I mean bye.
  • Well I guess you'll like this episode, cause it's realy a lot of funny. Bart was cheating on his IQ test...

7.4
    The episode starts in the school where Bart studies. From the things he does, we can understand that he dont likes school and hе's and he likes to make madness in the school. The teachers dont like him. In bart's class today they're doing a maths test to check the IQ. Bart sees the hole friend from his classmate and the proffesor says he's a genious. He goes to a school for high talented children, and then the funny show starts. Homer and Marge are so happy that have a multi inteligent boy, so they bring him to different kinds of operas, educational movies in cinema and so on... This episode is an average Simpsons episode...
  • Second Episode.

This episode begins with the family playing scrabble to prepare Bart for his quiz. Bart plays the work Kwyjibo, which he describes as a fat, balding, North american ape(with 2 chins)

On the day of the quiz, Bart switches his test with Martin prince's, the smartest kid in the class. Homer and Marge get called to the school, when The Principal sees Bart's "score" on the test. Bart is soon sent to a school for gifted children. He dosn't fit in there, seeing that he's not actually a genius. He finally tells Homer this, and he chases hin through the face.

This was pretty good, considering that it's only the second episode. But there were still a few funny bits, like the opera scene, and Homer's messy handwriting.

Overall Grade:75%/C+
  • Bart becomes a genius after cheating on an intelligent test, and is treated like a genius.

1.2 Bart the Genius

This was a pretty good classic Simpsons episode, which explained a lot about Barts character. We see him spray painting Principal Skinner with the quotation "I Am a Weiner" and then we see him switch test papers with Martin Prince. My favorite parts of this episode are:

1. Barts lyrics to "March of the Toreabors"
    2. Bart and Martin making faces at each other throught the window
    3. Bart turning green.
    4. The juxtaposition of Bart and Homers attention span.
    5. Homers quote "you may do what no other simpson has done...you may outsmart someone"
    6. The framed picture of Albert Einstein next to a framed picture of Bart.
    7. Barts example of a peradox..."youre damned if you do and your damned if you dont"
    8. Homers first..."why you little"
    9. The chase scene of Bart and Homer
    10. Bart misspelling confession

Enjoy!
  • A genius in the Simpsons family and it is not Lisa!

Another episode that is a little bit cheesy like most of the first season episodes. I found this Simpson episode a little less good than the previous Christmas' special. I also think that so far, the evil things Bart does are not really that evil and are more like things most people used to do in their childhoods. I really loved the new school Bart was sent to. It looked like a place where you could learn actually something. The series still fills odd and out of character. I didn't really laugh at all in this episode but it was very enjoyable as all the Simpsons' episodes are.
  • Bart cheats off Martin Prince's test, and becomes a 'Genius'. (Spoilers!!)

'Bart The Genius' is a truly original idea: taking a bad kid who cheats, and him becoming a genius all of a sudden.

Bart The Genius, like most of the episodes in season 1, is generally slow. Jokes didn't come too often, but you have to like the idea of this episode, and the outcome. This episode is only a SLIGHT MARGIN ahead of 'Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire', but my slight margin, I mean slight margin.

This episode is worth a look, but don't expect too much.

7.5/10
  • This was among the better episodes in the first season. And it really showcased what this show could do.

One of my favorite scenes in this episode is when Bart is taking the test and he has the imagines himself on a train (to solve one of the math problems) and ends up having a nightmare. It was one of the first flashbacks/dream sequences that the show ever did. And, especially during the early years, it would become the show's trademark. No other comedy on TV could pull off those quite like the animated Simpsons.

I also liked the gifted school. The writers on the show were already revealing themselves to be quite intelligent by this time. "You're damned if you do and damned if you don't" is Bart's lame attempt at a paradox.

Interestingly, the Dr. Pryor character that was introduced here as Springfield's school counselor never really took off. From the way he was presented in this episode, we might expect he would become a regular to the series.

Anyway, I have a tough time giving this episode too strong a grade because of the choppy animation and such that plagued the Simpsons first season. If you didn't start watching the show until its later years, you will have a tough time getting into this episode because of that.

Otherwise, it's one of the better ones they did early on. It got good reviews from the critics at the time and helped the show explode in popularity early on.

• Bart cheats on a test, changing his exam to Martin's. When Skinner calls Homer and Marge, to tell Bart made a graffitti on the school's backyard, Dr. Loren Pryor comes in and tells all of them that Bart's a genius

7.6
    It is not a very funny episode, although the series was just beginning, this is not a good example of The Simpsons' classic episodes. Bart becomes a genius, Lisa gets jealous of him, Marge tries to encourage Bart to attend to more cultural activities to foment his intelligence, and Homer spoils him. The storyline is kind of boring
  • Today, Bart is a scientist.

7.7
    Bart the Genius.

This episode who first got on the episode in Martin. He is new. It reminds me of Bart on the Road. Bart was driving a car. But in this episode, scientists found a silly button backpack. And goo. Eww.
    This episode is fun and asome for all ages. Want to watch it? WATCH IT!
  • The real series premire

7.7
    Bart, Bart, Bart. What is there to say about you?
    Anyway, in this episode bart cheats on the intelligince test by switching tests with class brain Martin Prince. So when i watch this episode,here is what i thought the big jokes were.
    1.The opera theater scene with bart, homer, and lisa making akward noises.
    2.Bart destroying the classroom and later running naked in the house while homer chases him around.
    But otherwise in other parts.. i just dont understand some of the episode. Why? I didnt think there was a lot of jokes in this episode. But there was one that i thought was good.
    Bart making art of principal skinner with him saying "i am a weiner" (spelt like the sign said) So overall i give this episode an 7.7
    See ya!
  • Bart cheats on his intelligence test and pretends he is a genius.

7.8
    "Kwyjibo- ahhh, a big dumb balding North American ape... with no chin."

This is Bart's word in Scrabble which the family is playing since Bart has his big intelligence test and they are trying to strengthen his vocabulary.

While taking the test, Bart switching papers with Martin Prince and puts his name on it. This makes everyone, including Dr. Prior, believe that Bart is a modern-day Albert Einstein.

Bart is transferred to a school that will "challenge" him more which he does not obviously belong in. He finds himself being teased by the smarter kids in the class.

Bart goes back to Springfield Elementry to tell Dr. Prior that he is no genius. Once he gets home he tells Homer the truth. Homer reacts by chasing a nude Bart around the house thus ending the episode.
  • In class, Bart has trouble with an intelligence test and, after being mocked by the brainy Martin Prince, switches tests with him. When psychiatrist Dr. J. Loren Pryor studies the results, he identifies Bart as a genius. Homer and Marge seem confused.

7.9
    A very good second episode. This episode was the first episode martin prince was in.This episode reminds me of one of the episodes called ''Bart Gets An F''. What happens on it is the family playing a game of scrammble bart puts a made up word called kwijibo homer ses whats a kwijibo he ses its a big, dumb, balding North American ape With no chin and marge adds ''with a short temper''and homer chased bart out of the room. at school bart has an iq test and when he finished he rubbed of martin princes sheet and put bart on it and everyone thought he was a genius.Its a classic episode.
  • the switch of the tests

bart switches test with marten and gets a huge iq and goes from being stupid to being put in with the highly intellegent. but bart does not fit in because he is really not as smart as them and is used to goofen off and pulling pranks on people.so when he tells homer what he did homer chaces him around the house and lisa says bart is stupid again. i think it was a good ep and was the start of something good for the simpsons and it was only second ep of the show and it still drew in alot of viewers
  • Bart switches test's with Martin Prince, and gets an IQ of 216. Bart Gets sent to gifted school, but struggles deeply. He owns up to Homer, but Homer gets mad and chases Bart. Lisa says the line to marge as they observe "I think Bart's stupid again."

The second episode of The Simpsons, I think it was another classic. This Episodes alot of new characters, and shows the true coulours of some. Bart isn't the smartest, Martin is. Homer seems to be angry in earlier episodes, as he shows alot of rage towards Bart in this one. This episode wasn't the best, but it did deliver. It was enjoyable to watch, slightly more funny than the first one, but maybe the story wasn't as enjoyable. Then again, I'm quite happy watching this one at home, This was Jon vittis favourite episode he wrote from an interview in 1991.
  • Good but not amazing...

Bart cheats on his intelligence test and is mistaken for a child genius. In order to offer him more stimulation, Marge and Homer enroll him in a school for gifted students where he is immediately made to feel like the mediocre student he is. Bart eventually bluffs his way back into Springfield Elementary by claiming he'll study his classmates but winds up confessing to everyone that he cheated. Bart's mischef is revealed in this episode as he cheats on his I.Q. test. This episode was very funny, but it is without a doubt not the best episode in the whole entire series.
  • A classic!

This was the first Jon Vitti Script on the series and David Silverman's first direction in the series and the combination of in my opinion the best writer on staff(Vitti Went on to write many more episodes and is now writing the Simpsons Movie)and the best director on staff(Silverman went on to be long time supervising director on the show and is currently directing The Simpsons Movie)made this episode great. I would say the best episode of the best by far. And I think that's why the writer and director went on to be great success. Truly one of the fine examples of how great this series is.
  • Bart's IQ

Bart simpson bacame one of my favorite characters because there never a dull moment for the goof ball. This epsiode has the goof ball going to school for smart kids after he cheated on an exam. The family is proud of his achievement, despiute the fact that they don't know that Bart has cheated. One scene when the family went to see Carman, Bart and Homer made fun of the singers on stage. the rest of the episode has Bart trying to go though the new school I love the episode and it's the first episode after the Christmas special.
  • A bart-central episode

if not for the shoddy animation and imperfect voices at this stage of the simpsons, this plot-line would really seem to be a recent episode with great jokes. bart cheating on an IQ test really gives a look into what the simpsons would be like in years to come. bart, the most popular character at this stage of the show, is really explored into showing just how mischievous he can be. homer's stupidity is also heightened in the second episode of the series with quotes such as "i bet einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb" and the now classic and frequently used "why you little!" this episode was a real insight into these 2 characters of father and son and the strange bond between the two. a great early episode.
  • Eh Os Os.

If you don't understand the title watch the episode. Anyway Bart cheats on a standardised test and is mistaken for a genius. Ok so far. But I don't think they would actually let someone like Bart only have one test. They would of re tested him no matter what. But any way. Martin who constantly gets on Barts nerves gets a taste of his own medicine when Bart takes his test and makes it his. (Watch the episode makes more sense) My review. Yes Bart is devolped into not just a trouble maker a some what Brat. Also this episode shows how Homer cares when Bart is smart, and when Bart does the right thing in telling the truth homer is gonna kill him Haha. It is generally a funny episode especially the bit with the science lab and swapping food. I do think people need to focus more on the smaller roles. E.G Lisa And Marge. It does get boring as it goes on. It isn't a action packed episode so it isn't one of the best in the season but still a definite for new comers to the show and all the veterans like me will know about this already. Until next time.
  • Bart the Genius was the second episode of the The Simpsons.

Bart the Genius was the second episode of the The Simpsons which aired on January 14, 1990. The episode is about Bart taking a test. He can't solve any of the problems so he writes his name on Martin Prince's test. The school thinks he is a gifted child, so they send him to a gifted children's school. When he can't take the lie anymore he causes trouble in order to get back to his old ways. I think this episode is great and a lesson to not lie in order to get a good grade. I rate this episode a 8.4. Though it's very badly drawn, I think it was a funny episode of The Simpsons.
  • Eventhough it is still early in the shows run, this episode, had signs of the greatness too come.

Originally airing on January 14, 1990, "Bart the Genius", was the second episode to air. This episode had a fairly strong plot. Although this episode had some color issues (brown bananas, Millhouse's chainging hair color), it did have some high anamation points (the lighting and shadowing effects, while Homer is playing catch with Bart, at dusk). It is nothing compared to what they do now. But was great for it being so early in the season. The pacing in this episode was a little faster than "..On an open fire". We get to see more of Skinner, and Martin Prince in this episode. Overall this is another great episode.
  • Oh, the Bart we loved!

Still not all that funny, this episode however was very well made. This is the mischievous Bart we loved, not a man who has turned into a criminal as of Season 20. I mean, in that "Beware my Cheating Bart" episode, I heard he dates this old woman or something. I mean WTF!?! This is the Bart we loved and I love this episode. Though, I don't believe this episode is somewhat rewatchable.
  • Bart cheats on his achievement test and he is deemed a genius.

Facing the prospect of flunking an intelligence exam, Bart changes the name on Martin's test to his name. The school psychologist advises Homer and Marge that Bart has a very high level of intelligence, calling him a genius, even. Bart is enrolled at a new school for smart kids, where Bart feels out of place with the other students. When his Science project explodes, nearly destroying the school, he admits to the psychologist about his scam. As you would imagine, Homer is furious and chases him around the house.

This is a very underrated episode. I found the plot to be nice and the jokes were funny. I always loved this episode and even tho its in season 1 I find it enjoyable to watch.
< 1 2 3