The Simpsons

Bart the Genius

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 14, 1990 on FOX

• Oh, the Bart we loved!

Still not all that funny, this episode however was very well made. This is the mischievous Bart we loved, not a man who has turned into a criminal as of Season 20. I mean, in that "Beware my Cheating Bart" episode, I heard he dates this old woman or something. I mean WTF!?! This is the Bart we loved and I love this episode. Though, I don't believe this episode is somewhat rewatchable.
  • Bart cheats on his achievement test and he is deemed a genius.

Facing the prospect of flunking an intelligence exam, Bart changes the name on Martin's test to his name. The school psychologist advises Homer and Marge that Bart has a very high level of intelligence, calling him a genius, even. Bart is enrolled at a new school for smart kids, where Bart feels out of place with the other students. When his Science project explodes, nearly destroying the school, he admits to the psychologist about his scam. As you would imagine, Homer is furious and chases him around the house.

This is a very underrated episode. I found the plot to be nice and the jokes were funny. I always loved this episode and even tho its in season 1 I find it enjoyable to watch.
  • Bart? A Genius? Wha-?

Bart cheats on an intelligence test {switching it off brainy Martin Prince} and is mistaken for a genius who is "bored of ordinary school." So he goes to a genius school where the other kids can tell he isn't smart and take advantage of him. He tries to tell Homer this. In the end he does and he is chased through the house by a very angry Homer. Things go back to normal.

A pretty strong offering with a good plot. It had some funny moments and some really nice introduction to some more characters who weren't in the pilot.
  • Bart becomes a genius after cheating on an intelligent test, and is treated like a genius.

1.2 Bart the Genius

This was a pretty good classic Simpsons episode, which explained a lot about Barts character. We see him spray painting Principal Skinner with the quotation "I Am a Weiner" and then we see him switch test papers with Martin Prince. My favorite parts of this episode are:

1. Barts lyrics to "March of the Toreabors"
    2. Bart and Martin making faces at each other throught the window
    3. Bart turning green.
    4. The juxtaposition of Bart and Homers attention span.
    5. Homers quote "you may do what no other simpson has done...you may outsmart someone"
    6. The framed picture of Albert Einstein next to a framed picture of Bart.
    7. Barts example of a peradox..."youre damned if you do and your damned if you dont"
    8. Homers first..."why you little"
    9. The chase scene of Bart and Homer
    10. Bart misspelling confession

Enjoy!
  • So Bart's a genius eh?

Bart simpson a genius That will be the day!

One of the greatest episodes from the one of the greatest seasons of the greatest show ever
    but i'll say that about them all.

Bart the Genius was a great episode where bart turns green i can't say it changed the face of humour but it was a very very funny installment of the funniest show that was ever thought of and definately of the funniest show ever thought of 5 minutes before the interview

the second episode ever was a great episode

thanks,
    ahh goobras

Screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders screw flanders
  • Bart becomes a genius

Bart the Genius: " This is the first real episode of the Simpsons that is not a holiday episode. This episode is by far one of my favorite episodes so far. it has a clever plot. this episode was well written. KWIJIBO is a word that is brought up to me most days. this marks the debut of mrs krabapple. Marcia Wallace plays two characters on this show her regular character mrs krabapple and a one timer character ms mellon. the ending was a "hit the floor and tears throught your eyes funny. This episode was that damn good."

Favorite Quote: "KWIJBO: uh a big,dumb,balding, north american ape with no chin."
  • Today, Bart is a scientist.

Bart the Genius.

This episode who first got on the episode in Martin. He is new. It reminds me of Bart on the Road. Bart was driving a car. But in this episode, scientists found a silly button backpack. And goo. Eww.
    This episode is fun and asome for all ages. Want to watch it? WATCH IT!
  • Bart The Genius

This is a great episode for the second one. Not my favourite of Season 1 but cool anyway. It properly introduces the characters and other characters too. It is real funny when Bart does an experiment but goes wrong and confesses to Homer and Homer don't take it really well.
  • Bart cheatss on a test and is deemed a genius

At a class test, Bart finds the test so hard that he can't help but cheat. What he did was swap his and Martin Prince's (who has an IQ of 216) test. He also wrote his own name on his test. At a later point when he is at a parent-pupil-principle meeting, after he plays a prank, the school psychiatrist bursts in with Bart's "amazing test result". He convinces Bart that a specialist school may be better suited for him. But when Bart goes in, h finds it is erlaxing but also much more than he could handle. He finds his way back into Springfield Elementary and lives his normal slacking life in Miss Krabby's class
  • The best season I episode!

This episode is a classic! Bart switches tests with Martin and gets sent to a school with all the smart kids. This episode debuts some funny quotes, like Homer's "I bet einstein turned himself into all sorts of colors before he invented the lightbulb" and Bart's "Well, you're damned with you do and you're damned if you don't".
  • ...

A relly great 2nd episode to "The Simpsons" very funny and a really good use of storyline as it is early, very early in the Simpsons series, To put accross the character Bart as a lier, cheat but sorry at the end of the day! ect. A good pisode to get into the Simpsons well!

• Bart the Genius with mischiefs

I actually think that this episode is supposed to be the pilot episode, because it’s so revealing and pivotal of the Simpson’s temperament. In this episode we also get see Edna, Skinner & Martin actually performing and revealing their characters. The plot is centered on Bart where he cheats on his aptitude test and gets to go to a smart school. This is an emotional episode of father & son, which didn’t last long because Bart became stupid again. We get see Bart has his own disciplinary file drawer in Skinners office & this is the first time I’m seeing Bart worried about his appointment with the principal.First time catch phrases; eat my shorts, why you little…
  • Bart cheats on a test and winds up in a school for smart people.

Faced with the prospect of flunking an intelligence test, Bart switches his exam with the classes smartest kid, Martin Prince. When Bart gets into trouble the school psychologist Dr. Pryor studies the results of the test and identifies Bart as a genius, and Marge and Homer enroll Bart in a new school. On his first day at the Enriched Learning Center for Gifted Children, Bart feels out of place among other students. At homer however, he enjoys the new attention Homer is giving him. Hoping to simulate her son with a little culture, Marge buys the family opera tickets. Sad by his smart classmates, Bart visits his old school where he is rejected by his friend. When Bart's science project blows up he confesses to Dr. Pryor that Martin is the real genius. Bart goes home and tells Homer about what he did and Homer chases him through the house.
  • My favorite season 1 episode.

So after Bart cheats on an intelligence test he is sent to a gifted school for very smart children. I never saw this episode until I got the first season dvd. And I loved it. David Silverman's directing made the show able to go on, with out him there would be no Simpsons (or at least not as great as it is now). I loved the episode's plot, it was character revealing for Bart showing his bad side and showing how he acts. And his first catch phrase, "Eat My Shorts" that was hilarious. Great job crew, loved the episode. 10/10.
  • Bart is not a genius. Or is he?

Well that is Bart. He gets into trouble and does not pass in class. It was funny when he cheated and later a doctor came in to tell Homer and Marge that his son is a genius. When Bart went to his new school he knew he was dumb and other kids made fun of him. In the end he told Homer the truth and Homer went angry.
  • Bart is a genius. Hard to believe it.

This episode teaches kids of not to cheat in a test. Bart took the test and switched it with Martin's. Next day Skinner called Homer and Marge of Bart's graffiti. Then Dr. Loren comes in and tells them that Bart is a genius. He went to the new school where kids are smart with a high IQ. Knowing that he wasn't smart enough he confesses to Loren that he cheated.
  • great episdoe

i find this episode the best episode of season 1. the epsidoe was well written and it showed barts best scheme in the show so far. if you count 2 episodes so far. Even though i'm not a bart fan i still find thi episode very funny. if anyone disagrees with me... well, let's just say i'll do someting mean [angry PMS maybe?].. ..... ..... .. ... .... ..... .... ..... ...... ..... .... ..... .. ... .... .... .... ....... ..... .... .. ..... ... . .. .. ... .... ..... .. .... ... .. ... .. ... .
  • Second sipsons episode

This is one of the greats in the simpsons family of episodes why, because It is has bart being a smart,well kinda see bart gets put in a magnet program[for all you people who don't know what magnet is it is a program for really smart kids.]ok back to the review anyway what happens is that after a test in school he switches his test with martins and then he is asked to join a magnet program of course this does not work out for to long anyway this was a very great episode and a classic in my book.
  • This really is really funny.

This is an origanl episode. It's the first episode that has Edna Krabappel and Martin Prince.

Martin is bugging Bart about being stupid. Bart's class has an IQ test. Martin finishes before everyone and goes to read outside under a tree. Bart hates him so much that he puts his name on Martin's and puts Martin's name on his test. All the teachers say that he is a genius. He goes to a special school for geniuses. Homer and Marge treat him deferintly and Bart likes it. In the genuis school, Bart doesn't understand anything. Then he mixes two chemicals together and it blows up. After he gets home he tells his parents the truth about how he cheated on the test. Homer hates him and starts chasing him around the house.

I give this episode a 9.1 out of 10.
  • Superb

The episode begins as the Simpson family plays Scrabble, in the living room, in an effort to build Bart's vocabulary for his aptitude test tomorrow at school. The game ends when Bart cheats and makes up an imaginary word, "Kwyjibo," and defines it as, "A big, dumb, balding, North American ape with no chin." Homer is instantly angered and chases Bart out of the room. The next day before class, in the schoolyard, Martin Prince, the school genius, tattles on Bart, for spray painting graffiti that defames Principal Skinner on the school building. Skinner orders Bart to see him after school. As the children file into class, Mrs. Krabappel hands out aptitude tests to everyone. When she instructs the class on taking the timed intelligence test, Martin raises his hand, and reminds her that Bart is supposed to face the window during any test so he can't cheat. A grumbling Bart turns his desk to face the window and the test begins. In an attempt to figure out a lengthy math word problem, Bart tries to visualize the problem so he can solve it. The visualization turns into a daydream and when Bart finally comes back to reality, Martin announces that he has finished his test already. Mrs. Krabappel sends Martin outside to read a book, during the remainder of the testing period. While Bart is still taking his test, he looks out the window to see a smug Martin sticking his tongue out at him. In retaliation, Bart makes faces back at Martin; Mrs. Krabappel spots Bart making faces and looks out the window to see what Bart is looking at. While her back is turned, Bart, who is seated at the front of the class, reaches over to Mrs. Krabappel's desk and steals Martin's test, replaces Martin's name with his own and then puts the test back on her desk. Bart then quickly fills out random answers on his own test and then writes Martin's name at the top and turns it in.
    Later, after school, Marge and Homer are called to Principal Skinner's office for a meeting about Bart's behavior at school. Skinner informs Marge and Homer about Bart's graffiti from earlier that morning. As he reaches for Bart's rather extensive permanent record, and is about to suggest something along the lines of expulsion for Bart, his secretary buzzes in and says that Dr. J. Loren Pryor, the school psychiatrist is waiting to see him. Dr. Pryor walks in on the meeting, and surprises everyone when he tells them that Bart is a "gifted child," and according to the aptitude test from earlier, Bart has an I.Q. of 216. Dr. Pryor suggests that Bart's history of bad behavior stems from a lack of interest in his school work, due to the fact that it is too easy for him. Skinner wants Bart retested, but when Dr. Pryor suggests moving Bart to a school for "gifted children" Skinner jumps on board with the idea, and Bart quickly agrees when he hears that the school doesn't have much structure and that you get to make your own rules. Dr. Pryor hands Bart some paperwork for the "gifted children" school, and he, Homer and Marge leave the meeting stunned.

9 out of 10

• Bart cheats on an intelligence test, and is transferred to a special school for gifted children... but he doesn't exactly fit in there!

During an intelligence test at school, Bart switches papers with Martin Prince (the school genius). After the papers are graded, he is called into the school psychologist's office with his parents to be told that he has an IQ of 216. Dr Pryor asks Bart if he is ever bored in school, and Bart says that he is because he doesn't feel challenged. Dr Pryor tells Bart that he can be transferred to a school where you can do anything you want, and Bart is thrilled to be going to such a place. But when he gets there, he finds out that it isn't exactly what he thought and that he doesn't fit in (and will never fit in). He causes several accidents and realizes that he doesn't know the material that the class are studying. He finally admits to Dr Pryor that he cheated on the test.
  • Wonderful!

Bart switches his exam with Martin's, and finds himself in a fine school after that. Then he's not a genius after telling everybody. I think this was a classic episode, and more episodes should be like this. Homer continues to act like th buffoon he is, and that's probably the reason why this show became a hit.
  • Bart cheats and is mistaken for a genius

This is a very special episode to watch. I never get sick of it! Its great to see Bart and Homer bond through playing catch in the backyard and cracking jokes at the opera and then it all blows up when Bar admits he cheated on his intelligence test.

I guess Bart really isn't the dumbest tool in the shed because he was smart enough to change tests with Martin!

Its amazing watching how far the characters have progressed from this episode. Homer seemed more intelligent and Bart also seemed to care about the consequences when he got in trouble. Thats something that doesn't happen very often any more.
  • bart and his schemes

bart is studying for the intellgence test by playing scrabble, but bart does not care about it so he just sits back and puts random letters on the board.

on the next day bart is caught vandlizing by martin who reports it to principal skinner.during the intellgence test bart is afraid to be at bottom of his class, so when martin is distracted bart switches the tests.

after school the school psychiatrist tells homer and marge that bart is a gifted genius, stunned by the news homer and marge are happy to enroll him in a gifted school.

bart is enrolled in the gifted school where the kids use there intellegence to trick bart.despite that bart is suddenly reveard by homer who is now bonding more with bart than ever.

Bart finaly realizes that this school is not for him so he confesses and leaves the school
  • I can say that it was the funniest episode in Season 1...

This episode was a great episode of Season 1, it actually was THE funniest episode of Season 1, Bart cheats on a test when Martin becomes to stupid and idiot because of him, and at the end he is taken by genius, as a result his professor thinks that Bart is too smart for his class so he sends him to a special school of Springfield, where Bart is taken by a foolish by his classmates, and soon begins missing his old school, and in the end he fakes the excuse that he want to enter as a spy to the school, but in the end confesses what he did to Homer... and he doesn't even accepts it! Good episode!
  • This episode shows that what comes around goes around

This episode shows that what comes around goes around ; it’s a lesson to teach kids of Bart’s age not to cheat in a test. The most funniest quote in this episode is when Miss Krabappel says before the test “Now I don’t want you worry class. These tests will have no affect on your grades. They merely determine your future social status and financial success - is any”. This shows that the only Smart boy in the forth grade is Martin prince and not Bart Simpson. Certainly not the best episode of the season but a fine one none the less.
  • After Bart cheats on an intelligence test, he is enrolled in a genius school.

Another triumph for the good, and another brutal beating for evil. Bart gets what he morally deserves.

One thing that attracts me to The Simpsons is how evil deeds are not often rewarded. This episode was probably the first to do that. I guess cheating on an intelligence test got Bart into a bit of a dillema. At first, it seems as if his troubles are over when he arrives at the genius school. After all, you are free to relax and read the selection you choose. However, Bart is confused in class discussions, and the children find out that Bart is a fraud. He is taken advantage of by some of the smart people.

If Bart hadn't faked his way into genius school, he would have had a much better experience. And that is a key element to the series itself. And I adore the element of good triumphing!

There are many funny moments in the episode including, "You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't." Classic Bart Simpson quote. And I love how Homer's signatures look like silly excuses to get out of school, although they aren't. But I just can't chuckle at the opera scene. The jokes are very unoriginal. All in all, this was a great episode.
  • The Genius that's mischevious.

Bart's personal life gets introduced as we learn that Bart is a troublemaker that picks on Principal Skinner, vandalizes the school and costs his family repair costs. One incident happens before an IQ test that Bart switches with Martin Prince, so while Marge and Homer look at Bart's file, we learn that Bart has a 216 IQ. But Bart shows that he's only worth the first 2 numbers... 21 taking away the fact that Lisa is the real genius in the household. Bart can't do any of the genius work, no obne wants him as a friend and Homer chases a nude, green Bart to his bedroom.
  • For a start to the series, this episode was awesome.

Just like Fox, I consider this to be the first episode in the case of which the Christmas episode is more of a special. Being for this was the actually pilot, I would consider this episode extremely well done. The suspense of the plot keep me guessing, and I wait as to what would happen to Bart in the end. I'm almost surprised he admitted his crime, nearly drifting off his normal character position we know him as, but I can understand as to why he would do such a thing. I thought the episode was awesome, and many new, and funny, characters were introduced to make this episode even more interesting. I would definitly say that this episode was a wonderful start and I don't think that they could of made a better decision on chosing the first cartoon in the series.
  • bart swaps a test paper with martins so is classified as a genius

Brilliant episode and good story.
    It starts off with the simpsons playing scrabble and bart puts the word kyjibo down,he then descibes the definition and it fits the discription of homer.
    When barts goes to the new school all the people there are geeks and so try and cheat him at lunch.
    In the end bart blows up the school doing an expirment,which turns him green.In the last minute bart admits that he cheated on the test and homer chases him around the house,bart is naked though.
    Funny and crative another superb episode from matt groening
< 1 2 3