The Simpsons

Cape Feare

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 1993 on FOX

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• Bart receives threatening letters from an unknown source. Once it's revealed to be Sideshow Bob, the Simpsons's move to Terror Lake to avoid Sideshow Bob avenging Bart.

Greastest episode of all time. Hysterical from beginning to end. Thus episode has everthing. An abundance of classic dialogue and sight gags including Homer forgetting his pseudo name with the FBI agent, the parole board freeing Sideshow Bob because they feel no one who speaks German can be evil, Sideshow Bob being trampled by elephants while lying in the street, Homer falling asleep after Bob ties the family and Lisa's thinks he's been drugged, Sideshowe bob singing the HMS Pinafore, and Homer screaming with a hockey mask and reving up a chainsaw, which is one of my alltime favorite gags. A+
  • They don't make Sideshow Bob episodes as good as this anymore.

Spoofs are a hit or miss affair, but this one was done right. Based on both the original and Martin Scorsase remake of "Cape Fear", this episode is basically the "Airplane" for that film. It's not just clever on wit and comidy but also like the original film it's rather suspenseful, a classic game of cat and mouse.

What makes this great are the three characters in it. Sideshow Bob we see as both funny and scary at the same time from how evil and highly determined and intelegent he is (That nutball hairdo of his reflects his evil). Like a chess player he is steps ahead of Bart Simpson and the family, although he might be one step behind in his set of moves. It's funny seeing him in pain from the road trip to the most memorable gag ever, the field of rakes. Every time he gets hit he lets out a rather unusal growl.

Homer as usual doesn't help matters much, for one thing he is no Gregory Peck or Nick Nolte because he is purely incapable of protecting Bart. From playing mean jokes of Bart, making himself obvious, down to for several hours unable to say is alias once.

Bart though we see as a rather sympathtic character because he truely feels fear. And we emphize with his feelings because we know how unsafe he truely is. But yet he can be heroic at the same time, as shown near the end of the episode.

Unfortunately, this would probably be the last shining moment for the Sideshow Bob saga. The fouth sequel was an exception but the ones after never measured up and came of as a little silly. But it was this episode that we truely remember as one of the best villians of the show.
  • Bart starts recieveing death threats in blood.

Bart starts recieveing death threats in blood. You find out that they are from Sideshow Bob. Bob goes to get paroled. And he gets it. Now he is coming even closer to killing Bart. He drives through the neighborhood announcing who will not die. He does not include Bart. So the Simpsons go to start a new life. Where Bob follows them. This is such a good and fun episode!
  • In this spoof of "Cape Fear," Sideshow Bob threatens Bart once again--so this time, OFF enters the Witness Protection Program as "The Thompsons" and moves to a riverboat. However, they can't escape Sideshow Bob...

This is the best of the Sideshow Bob episodes, and in fact, it's one of the best "Simpsons" episodes, period. Largely a spoof of "Cape Fear"--right down to the music--the episode is hilarious from start to finish as the writers hit their stride.

True, it's not a heartwarming very-special episode (at one point, Homer tries to distract Bart from the threat of Sideshow Bob by lunging at him with a chainsaw and hockey mask). And as critics have pointed out, it's not particularlt realistic--no one leaves that many rakes lying around! But mimicking reality is not what "The Simpsons," at its best, is about. The episode is so tightly written--there's not a moment of dead time or flat, filler jokes--and the acting and animation are top-notch. (Watch the camera movement throughout; it's impressive.) Most of all, "Cape Feare" contains some classic Simpsons moments, from the rake sequence to the mid-episode "Thompsons" introduction.

It's hard to believe this episode is over 10 years old; it stands the test of time and is funnier on repeated viewings.
  • This is the best episode in the entire episode of the simpsons.

I have watched this epsiode over and over again. It has many great gags. This episode always reminds me of The Naked Gun because most of the gags are Sideshow Bob getting hurt in ridiculous ways. There are rakes a plenty and also elephants, cactus patches, and houseboats. Tis a great episode and it rules times a million.
  • Sensational! My favourite Bob episode!

Yes this is definately the best Sideshow Bob episode. Instead of framing Krusty, attempting to kill Selma or blowing up Springfield Bob comes after Bart his long time nemesis.

There is no distractions, its simple he wants Bart dead. He finds out that its not as easy as it seems.

The rake seem is one the funniest things I have ever seen! The sound that Bob made after each rake was just great. He then makes a reference to rakes in a later episode where he says "I have a life outside you Bart!"

The HMS pinafore finale was the icing on the cake of a fantastic episode.
  • "Very well Bart, I shall send you to heaven before I send you to hell"

This is a truley hillarious episode, I don't think there was a moment when I wasn't laughing. My favorite part had to be when Side show Bob sang the entire score to the H.M.S. Pinnafore and it just kept getting more and more elaborate with each song, It starts out he is just singing in his street clothes and soon he is in full costume (and he even has a playbill) The other funny part is when they get put into the witness protection program and Homer is wearing a witness protection T-shirt. Watch this episode and you are guarenteed to laugh.
  • One of my favourites!

This episode was one of the best ones ever IMO! The humour was all there and interesting plots were also included, especially when Sideshow Bob tried to kill Bart!
    I loved the idea of 'The Thompsons' and the theme tune with them in it coz it's so funny and a big laugh!
    If you're a hardcore classic Simpsons fan, such as myself, then you must NOT miss this episode!
  • The SImpsons turn into the Thompsons!

This episode was pure gold. I liked Bart's fear of the people who sent him the letter in blood. I was also feeling sorry for Sideshow Bob when he fainted when he wrote so much blood in Bart's letters. Nevertheless, the episode was indeed funny.

The potrayal of bart's character was good and I was glad that he thought of a way to send Sideshow Bob to jail and let his family be renamed to "The Simpsons" instead of "The Thompsons".

I guess the only problem with the episode wa that the events went by too fast. Overall, a good episode that I hope you will see instead of judging the newer season episodes by.
  • An episode wich combines thriller with comedy in a superb way!

Let me just start by saying this is my all-time favorite episode of The Simpsons!

Sideshow Bob is my favorite character, possibly because he is really funny yet he also creeps me out. He can be menacing in one minute and hilarious in the next. And that hairdo of his... *shudders like Bob hit by a rake*

This episode stands out from the usual Simpson ones because of it's darker theme. The plot, paroding "Cape Fear", is about murder and revenge, the settings are often dark and omnious, and the music is just golden! And in the midst of this threatening mood they've buildt up there is some wonderful comedy. There are not a lot of shows that can balance these two elements, but The Simpsons manage with flying colors.

There are a lot of classic scenes. Sideshow Bob stepping on the rakes is golden, I laugh so hard each time, I don't know how Kelsey Grammer makes those shuddering noises! The scenes with Sideshow Bob under the car ("who wants to drive through the cactuses?") were glorious, as were the scene where Bart masterminds Bob.

If you're only going to see one episode of The Simpsons... let it be this one!
  • Not quite a ten, but really, really close. Probably my favorite Sideshow Bob episode where Bob is actually evil.

This was a really well written episode that had some really good Cheif Wiggum and Homer quotes. One example:
    WIGGUM: Sideshow Bob has no decency. He called me "Cheif Piggum".

(everyone laughs)

WIGGUM: Ha. Ha. Now I get it. Ha. Ha. Yeah. That's good.

In this episode Sideshow Bob writes threatening letters to Bart and after being paroled stalks him to the point where the Simpsons have to move to Terror Lake. Then Sideshow Bob gets on to their house boat and tries to kill Bart. Bart is saved because he he gets Bob to sing until the boat reaches Springfield. Then comes another of Wiggum's classic quotes:
    BART: Take him away boys.

WIGGUM: Hey I'm the cheif. Bake him away toys.

LOU: What'd you say cheif.

WIGGUM" Just do what the kid says.

This is my favorite Cheif Wiggum episodes and one of the few episodes this season without Mr. Burns.

• The best episode ever!

Cape Feare is a very good copy of the movie, Cape Feare. I've never seen the movie, but this episode was the best ever.

One day, Bart gets a letter, written in blood, saying "I'm going to kill you." He gets several more letters like this, and he suspects everybody, even the members of his family. When he runs into Sideshow Bob, who was recently released from prison, at the movies, and he's in the neighborhood telling who he would not kill: Ned, Maude, Homer, Marge, Lisa, and "Skeptical Baby"(Maggie.)

So, they get help from the FBI. They change their last names and they move to Terror Lake. The funniest gag here was the "Hello Mr. Thompson" thing. The rake gag was also hilarious.

On the complete 5th season DVD, you can watch the deleted scenes, and they are really funny. There is this one deleted scene where Homer goes down to the kitchen and SB is disguised as a maid, and Homer goes back to bed, he screams, "AHH! We don't have a maid!" They should have kept that in.

Overall, this was the best episode I've seen. This episode will be known as a classic throughout the years. This is the best Sideshow Bob episode, and the best in the series.

Grade: A+++++++++++++++++++
  • One of the many favourite episodes of the simpsons, and the best Homer Simpson moment ever "Hello Mr. Thompson".

This episode is so great that I think I memorized it. Yet, no matter how many time I saw it, I always laugh. It's also a very important episode in the series, since this is the first time that Sideshow Bob tries to kill Bart.

The "Hello Mr Thompson" gag is probably the best Homer moment ever, I cannot stop laughing at that bit... if a see it in english, in spanish, if some friend repeat that, everytime I listen to "Hola Sr. Thompson" I laugh.

Sideshow Bob attached to the bottom of the car, stepping in the rakes and being smashed by the elephants are also really funny bits.

This is one of the best episodes of The Simpsons, but it's imposible to me to pick only one and say that is the best, I have a long list of favourite episodes.

This season is great, yesterday i've purchased the season 5 DVD set and all the episodes are among the best ones, specially the first 5, so, expect more reviews coming soon.
  • sideshow bob tries to kill bart

sideshow bob tries to kill bart,it can't get any better. sideshow bob is the best character in the whole series.i'v watch this episode 1,000,000 times since i taped it.now i have the 5th season on DVD and i'ii watch it 1,000,000 more times.i hope sideshow bob is in many more episodes in the future.
  • Easily the best episode ever....

Even after 17 seasons on air, the writers of The Simpsons haven't managed to top this clever & witty homage to Cape Fear. Featuring some of the best lines ever in the series "I think he's talking to you", to some of the most childish jokes ever seen on the show (Sideshow Bob walking into a rake NINE TIMES!) and in Bart's fragile state, Homer showing Bart his new hockey mask & chainsaw!. Cape Feare still manages to make me laugh over and over. Kelsey Grammer ham's it up to the max to gives a great performance. The writer's of this episode should be proud of the episode they have created here & I honestly can't see them beating this one. "Lucky your houseboat floated by this brothel!"
1 2 >