The Simpsons

Cape Feare

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 1993 on FOX

• Easily the best episode ever....

Even after 17 seasons on air, the writers of The Simpsons haven't managed to top this clever & witty homage to Cape Fear. Featuring some of the best lines ever in the series "I think he's talking to you", to some of the most childish jokes ever seen on the show (Sideshow Bob walking into a rake NINE TIMES!) and in Bart's fragile state, Homer showing Bart his new hockey mask & chainsaw!. Cape Feare still manages to make me laugh over and over. Kelsey Grammer ham's it up to the max to gives a great performance. The writer's of this episode should be proud of the episode they have created here & I honestly can't see them beating this one. "Lucky your houseboat floated by this brothel!"
  • sideshow bob tries to kill bart

sideshow bob tries to kill bart,it can't get any better. sideshow bob is the best character in the whole series.i'v watch this episode 1,000,000 times since i taped it.now i have the 5th season on DVD and i'ii watch it 1,000,000 more times.i hope sideshow bob is in many more episodes in the future.
  • One of the many favourite episodes of the simpsons, and the best Homer Simpson moment ever "Hello Mr. Thompson".

This episode is so great that I think I memorized it. Yet, no matter how many time I saw it, I always laugh. It's also a very important episode in the series, since this is the first time that Sideshow Bob tries to kill Bart.

The "Hello Mr Thompson" gag is probably the best Homer moment ever, I cannot stop laughing at that bit... if a see it in english, in spanish, if some friend repeat that, everytime I listen to "Hola Sr. Thompson" I laugh.

Sideshow Bob attached to the bottom of the car, stepping in the rakes and being smashed by the elephants are also really funny bits.

This is one of the best episodes of The Simpsons, but it's imposible to me to pick only one and say that is the best, I have a long list of favourite episodes.

This season is great, yesterday i've purchased the season 5 DVD set and all the episodes are among the best ones, specially the first 5, so, expect more reviews coming soon.
  • The best episode ever!

Cape Feare is a very good copy of the movie, Cape Feare. I've never seen the movie, but this episode was the best ever.

One day, Bart gets a letter, written in blood, saying "I'm going to kill you." He gets several more letters like this, and he suspects everybody, even the members of his family. When he runs into Sideshow Bob, who was recently released from prison, at the movies, and he's in the neighborhood telling who he would not kill: Ned, Maude, Homer, Marge, Lisa, and "Skeptical Baby"(Maggie.)

So, they get help from the FBI. They change their last names and they move to Terror Lake. The funniest gag here was the "Hello Mr. Thompson" thing. The rake gag was also hilarious.

On the complete 5th season DVD, you can watch the deleted scenes, and they are really funny. There is this one deleted scene where Homer goes down to the kitchen and SB is disguised as a maid, and Homer goes back to bed, he screams, "AHH! We don't have a maid!" They should have kept that in.

Overall, this was the best episode I've seen. This episode will be known as a classic throughout the years. This is the best Sideshow Bob episode, and the best in the series.

Grade: A+++++++++++++++++++
  • Not quite a ten, but really, really close. Probably my favorite Sideshow Bob episode where Bob is actually evil.

This was a really well written episode that had some really good Cheif Wiggum and Homer quotes. One example:
    WIGGUM: Sideshow Bob has no decency. He called me "Cheif Piggum".

(everyone laughs)

WIGGUM: Ha. Ha. Now I get it. Ha. Ha. Yeah. That's good.

In this episode Sideshow Bob writes threatening letters to Bart and after being paroled stalks him to the point where the Simpsons have to move to Terror Lake. Then Sideshow Bob gets on to their house boat and tries to kill Bart. Bart is saved because he he gets Bob to sing until the boat reaches Springfield. Then comes another of Wiggum's classic quotes:
    BART: Take him away boys.

WIGGUM: Hey I'm the cheif. Bake him away toys.

LOU: What'd you say cheif.

WIGGUM" Just do what the kid says.

This is my favorite Cheif Wiggum episodes and one of the few episodes this season without Mr. Burns.

• An episode wich combines thriller with comedy in a superb way!

Let me just start by saying this is my all-time favorite episode of The Simpsons!

Sideshow Bob is my favorite character, possibly because he is really funny yet he also creeps me out. He can be menacing in one minute and hilarious in the next. And that hairdo of his... *shudders like Bob hit by a rake*

This episode stands out from the usual Simpson ones because of it's darker theme. The plot, paroding "Cape Fear", is about murder and revenge, the settings are often dark and omnious, and the music is just golden! And in the midst of this threatening mood they've buildt up there is some wonderful comedy. There are not a lot of shows that can balance these two elements, but The Simpsons manage with flying colors.

There are a lot of classic scenes. Sideshow Bob stepping on the rakes is golden, I laugh so hard each time, I don't know how Kelsey Grammer makes those shuddering noises! The scenes with Sideshow Bob under the car ("who wants to drive through the cactuses?") were glorious, as were the scene where Bart masterminds Bob.

If you're only going to see one episode of The Simpsons... let it be this one!
  • The SImpsons turn into the Thompsons!

This episode was pure gold. I liked Bart's fear of the people who sent him the letter in blood. I was also feeling sorry for Sideshow Bob when he fainted when he wrote so much blood in Bart's letters. Nevertheless, the episode was indeed funny.

The potrayal of bart's character was good and I was glad that he thought of a way to send Sideshow Bob to jail and let his family be renamed to "The Simpsons" instead of "The Thompsons".

I guess the only problem with the episode wa that the events went by too fast. Overall, a good episode that I hope you will see instead of judging the newer season episodes by.
  • One of my favourites!

This episode was one of the best ones ever IMO! The humour was all there and interesting plots were also included, especially when Sideshow Bob tried to kill Bart!
    I loved the idea of 'The Thompsons' and the theme tune with them in it coz it's so funny and a big laugh!
    If you're a hardcore classic Simpsons fan, such as myself, then you must NOT miss this episode!
  • "Very well Bart, I shall send you to heaven before I send you to hell"

This is a truley hillarious episode, I don't think there was a moment when I wasn't laughing. My favorite part had to be when Side show Bob sang the entire score to the H.M.S. Pinnafore and it just kept getting more and more elaborate with each song, It starts out he is just singing in his street clothes and soon he is in full costume (and he even has a playbill) The other funny part is when they get put into the witness protection program and Homer is wearing a witness protection T-shirt. Watch this episode and you are guarenteed to laugh.
  • Sensational! My favourite Bob episode!

Yes this is definately the best Sideshow Bob episode. Instead of framing Krusty, attempting to kill Selma or blowing up Springfield Bob comes after Bart his long time nemesis.

There is no distractions, its simple he wants Bart dead. He finds out that its not as easy as it seems.

The rake seem is one the funniest things I have ever seen! The sound that Bob made after each rake was just great. He then makes a reference to rakes in a later episode where he says "I have a life outside you Bart!"

The HMS pinafore finale was the icing on the cake of a fantastic episode.
  • This is the best episode in the entire episode of the simpsons.

I have watched this epsiode over and over again. It has many great gags. This episode always reminds me of The Naked Gun because most of the gags are Sideshow Bob getting hurt in ridiculous ways. There are rakes a plenty and also elephants, cactus patches, and houseboats. Tis a great episode and it rules times a million.
  • In this spoof of "Cape Fear," Sideshow Bob threatens Bart once again--so this time, OFF enters the Witness Protection Program as "The Thompsons" and moves to a riverboat. However, they can't escape Sideshow Bob...

This is the best of the Sideshow Bob episodes, and in fact, it's one of the best "Simpsons" episodes, period. Largely a spoof of "Cape Fear"--right down to the music--the episode is hilarious from start to finish as the writers hit their stride.

True, it's not a heartwarming very-special episode (at one point, Homer tries to distract Bart from the threat of Sideshow Bob by lunging at him with a chainsaw and hockey mask). And as critics have pointed out, it's not particularlt realistic--no one leaves that many rakes lying around! But mimicking reality is not what "The Simpsons," at its best, is about. The episode is so tightly written--there's not a moment of dead time or flat, filler jokes--and the acting and animation are top-notch. (Watch the camera movement throughout; it's impressive.) Most of all, "Cape Feare" contains some classic Simpsons moments, from the rake sequence to the mid-episode "Thompsons" introduction.

It's hard to believe this episode is over 10 years old; it stands the test of time and is funnier on repeated viewings.
  • Bart starts recieveing death threats in blood.

Bart starts recieveing death threats in blood. You find out that they are from Sideshow Bob. Bob goes to get paroled. And he gets it. Now he is coming even closer to killing Bart. He drives through the neighborhood announcing who will not die. He does not include Bart. So the Simpsons go to start a new life. Where Bob follows them. This is such a good and fun episode!
  • They don't make Sideshow Bob episodes as good as this anymore.

Spoofs are a hit or miss affair, but this one was done right. Based on both the original and Martin Scorsase remake of "Cape Fear", this episode is basically the "Airplane" for that film. It's not just clever on wit and comidy but also like the original film it's rather suspenseful, a classic game of cat and mouse.

What makes this great are the three characters in it. Sideshow Bob we see as both funny and scary at the same time from how evil and highly determined and intelegent he is (That nutball hairdo of his reflects his evil). Like a chess player he is steps ahead of Bart Simpson and the family, although he might be one step behind in his set of moves. It's funny seeing him in pain from the road trip to the most memorable gag ever, the field of rakes. Every time he gets hit he lets out a rather unusal growl.

Homer as usual doesn't help matters much, for one thing he is no Gregory Peck or Nick Nolte because he is purely incapable of protecting Bart. From playing mean jokes of Bart, making himself obvious, down to for several hours unable to say is alias once.

Bart though we see as a rather sympathtic character because he truely feels fear. And we emphize with his feelings because we know how unsafe he truely is. But yet he can be heroic at the same time, as shown near the end of the episode.

Unfortunately, this would probably be the last shining moment for the Sideshow Bob saga. The fouth sequel was an exception but the ones after never measured up and came of as a little silly. But it was this episode that we truely remember as one of the best villians of the show.
  • Bart receives threatening letters from an unknown source. Once it's revealed to be Sideshow Bob, the Simpsons's move to Terror Lake to avoid Sideshow Bob avenging Bart.

Greastest episode of all time. Hysterical from beginning to end. Thus episode has everthing. An abundance of classic dialogue and sight gags including Homer forgetting his pseudo name with the FBI agent, the parole board freeing Sideshow Bob because they feel no one who speaks German can be evil, Sideshow Bob being trampled by elephants while lying in the street, Homer falling asleep after Bob ties the family and Lisa's thinks he's been drugged, Sideshowe bob singing the HMS Pinafore, and Homer screaming with a hockey mask and reving up a chainsaw, which is one of my alltime favorite gags. A+
  • Over a decade old, and unimaginably so much better than anything else on TV. Especially with today's standards.

"Cape Feare" is 100% flawless. It is clever and funny at the same time.
    This episode alone is one of the reasons The Simpson's is in my top 5 greatest shows of all time.
    By far the best episode to start on, and, by far the best episode FULL STOP.

Family Guy is not great enough to do anything like this, and they never will. I pity them.

The episode is without a doubt The Simpson's at their very best. By far the greatest episode ever, as well as hailing from the greatest Simpson's season ever, Season 5.

If you're a Simpson's fan like me, then the Season 5 Box-set is automatically a must-have.
  • One of My Top Ten Favorite Episodes

This is a great episode. If anyone has seen the Robert Mitchum/Gregory Peck 1962 original or the Robert De Niro/Marton Scorsese 1991 remake of Cape Fear (the movie this episode is based on) then you realize the similarities between the movie and the episode.

This episode is wonderful. Sideshow Bob's release (The Bart The is sooooooooo funny), and Homer's stupidity (when I say Mr. Thompson and stamp on your foot) are some of the best in this episode.

But the highlight is the rake sequence, it may not be the best when it comes to the actual story but it is quite hilarious. One of the show's best.
  • This is the episode that started it all for Sideshow Bob in the sense that this is the first episode in which I can really say had me on the floor because I was laughing sooo hard...

Bart begins receiving threatening letters from Sideshow Bob. When Bob is released from prison, Bart is terrified of being killed by the sociopathic former sidekick. To protect Bart, the entire Simpson family undergoes Witness Relocation and moves to a houseboat docked on the aptly named Terror Lake, just outside of Springfield. Bob tracks them down, ties up Homer, Marge, and Lisa, and tries to kill Bart. Bart outsmarts Sideshow Bob by asking him to sing the entire score to The H.M.S. Pinafore, thereby buying enough time to trap him in the mud beside a brothel where Chief Wiggum and other Springfield Police Department officers just happen
  • Sideshow Bob comes into full play

Kesley Grammer's flawless voice-acting--the right tone, body, and volume--alone makes this episode worth watching. We find the shady Sideshow Bob again determined to KILL BART. With humor both classy and classic, this episode is sure to please any Simpson's fan. Some of the best jokes include the scene where Homer runs in with a butcher knife so he can give Bart brownies, and the singing scene of the H.M.S. Pinafore. Effortless writing, delightful plot, and, once again, the humor. However, I did detract a point from these because of the needless rake gag and the slightly too fast pacing. Score! A delightful episode.
  • Hilarious

Cape Feare is one of the funniest episodes of the Simpsons and high among the best. It is such an enjoyable episode with great jokes throughout and classic material ,who can forget the rake scene where Bob get's hit not once not twice but nine times. The plot is interesting and uses it's dark theme for some humorous moments with it's villain being used for comedy something that is great in a comedy show. It is an episode that can be watched many times and still be enjoyable and the pace is quite fast and helps make the episode exciting. Just one of the greatest and funniest episodes.
  • This episode was pretty funny.

Some of the scenes in this episode were forgettable, but the ones that weren't were hilarious! It was a really good Sideshow Bob episode, like when Sideshow Bob walks into the rakes like 10 times (or nine), and when Homer comes into Barts room carrying the knife and brownies, and right after the chainsaw lol.. I thought this episode is amongst the greatest of the Simpsons, and it used somewhat dark humour (like when Sideshow Bob was writing his grocery list in blood) and just the regular old Simpsons charm... it is a good follow up to the previous episode too=)
  • "He called me Chief Piggum"

Bart is getting letters from a mysterious person, threatening to kill him. He gets a lot of them and finds out it isn't anyone in his school. It turns out the letters are from Sideshow Bob and Bob is on parole. Bob manages to get out and the simpsons find out, so they move with Bob hidden in the car. Bob tracks Bart down and tries to kill him. He confronts Bart in the simpsons new boathouse and Bart gets him to perform the entire performance of the HMS Pinafore and the police then get Sideshow Bob. Hilarious episode, one of the best episode.
  • 1 of the best Simpsons episodes ever.

There are some episodes people watch that they'll remember it... till the next episode comes on.

Then there are those episodes that you'll remember for the rest of your life: Cape Feare is one of those episodes.

That Sideshow Bob Rake Sequence... priceless. I swear sometimes me and my brother be puttin that on repeat because it's so funny. Gotta love Bob's peformance, it was very good. Yeah. I understand how this is one of the best episodes ever. There's too many Awesome SCENES IN IT!! But like I said, that rake sequence is the Scene I'll defintely remember for the rest of my life.
  • A very great episode.

The episode begins with Sideshow Bob threatening Bart with letters written in blood. When this continues, the Simpsons are relocated to a place called Cape Fear, where their new names are the Thompsons. All seems peaceful, but Bob had secretly followed them to their new location. Sideshow Bob awakens Bart in the middle of the night, in an attempt to kill him. With their "boathouse" drifting down the river, Bart tries to escape Bob by running all over the boat. Just as it seems to be the end, Bart stalls Sideshow Bob by getting him to sing an incredibly long song. The boat ends up in Springfield, where the cops arrest Bob. The Thompsons then become the Simpsons again.
  • My favorite Sideshow Bob episode!

Now, The Simpsons have to move because Sideshow Bob is back! My favorie scene.

"Do you want a brownie before you go to bed?"

"Ahhh!"

"Come on, get them why'll their still hot"

"Dad. I would appreciate it if you don't come into my room screaming with a knife!"

"Why? (Looks at knife) Oh. Right. Well nothings going to be bad tonight. (Kisses Bart)"

"Hey Bart! You want to see my new goalie mask and Chain saw?"

Yeah. My favorite quote. I took up most of the review but. What are you going to do? Well. This is my favorite episode of season 5.

Final Grade: A-, 9
  • Sideshow Bob gets paroled from prison and sets out to murder Bart, causing much distress to the Simpson family. Parodying the movies 'Cape Fear' (partially), the family is harassed by their psycho stalker and flees the town to try to escape their trouble.

This episode is just super funny and very well crafted. It pretty much makes the most both of a Cape Fear parody and of the character of Sideshow Bob as he stood in the series. Good, entertaining fun with some classic, hysterical moments such as Homer's houseboat snafus and Bob's incident with rakes. It's jam packed with great funny stuff, actually. 'Tis not to be missed. My one real issue with this episode is that the ending was a little anti-climactic, especially that random Grandpa joke, but it's not enough to bring down the episode. This is my favorite Sideshow Bob ep, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't most people's.
  • "Not The elephants!" As Sideshow Bob is stomped on.

Could this be the best episode of the Simpsons? Certainly the rating is high and the quality of writing is superb. You can see this is the last episode to be written by the original team of writers - future ones aren't this good. Sideshow Bob is out of prison again. He goes after Bart, forcing the family to go on the witness protection program. Hilarity follows as Bob chases them into Terror Lake and onto the house boat. Favourite lines: "Oh no Dad's been drugged" cries Lisa "No he hasn't!" Replies Marge. "Surely there's no harm in lying in the street." Bob to Bart. A marching parade comes along "Not the elephants!"

And the rake scene. Funniest Ever.
  • Sideshow Bob is released from prison, and makes another attempt at killing Bart, with very humourous consequences

This was a spectacular Simpsons episode. It ticked all the boxes for a good comedy: Jokes, sarcasm, slapstick humour, allusions, good guest stars, etc. There were so many funny parts of this episode. I especially loved Sideshow Bob, he is what made this episode extra special.

Bob:'No, that's German for 'The Bart, The'.'

Bart: 'I couldn't help noticing you have a lovely voice'
    Bob: 'Guilty as charged'

This was also one of those iconic episodes, the ones that, even if you haven't seen them, you know what happens in them because they are talked about so much. Extremely funny, cleverly written and pure gold.
  • A classic attempt of sideshow bob killing young bart simpson.

I really love this episode it's for me the best one of all the simpsons episodes. Almost everthing they say is meant as a joke! :)Die bart Die. No one who speaks german could be an evil man! And of course the rake scene. :D But I especially love the part from homer walks in with a butcher knif till sideshow bob gets arrested. But my favourite quote from sideshow bob is still... Atempting murder, now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry? And then... You want the truth! You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! Bah! I deride your truth handling abilities! Haha so funny ;)

I know my englisch isn't that good but I'm Dutch and I get english at my school and I'm not verry good in it. :P
  • Classic

This is one of the best Simpson episodes ever, and is regarded as one of the all-time greats. It is a parody of the horror film, Cape Fear, also taking its title. Sideshow Bob is shown in prison writing threatening letters to Bart. He is soon released from prison and vows to act his revenge against Bart. The Simpsons find out about this and enter a witness protection program that leads them to the town, Terror Lake. Little do they know that Sideshow Bob has been following them all along. This is easily one of my favorite episodes and another great Sideshow Bob episode.
< 1 2