A The Simpsons Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on FOX (Returning September 25, 2016)

One of the cool things that the world's most celebrated creative minds get to do these days is crack the whip on The Simpsons' famous couch-gag intro. In recent seasons, animation legends Bill Plimpton and John Kricfalusi and graffiti artist Banksy have picked up their pens and shaken their spraycans to create customized openings, and the latest celebrity-helmed sequence comes from someone with an equally twisted mind: legendary director Guillermo Del Toro

Del Toro went into the deep recesses of his brain, the same brain that gave us Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, and Pacific Rim, to craft an extended opening to this weekend's upcoming "Treehouse of Horror XXIV" anthology, and it's overflowing with several of Del Toro's influences. How many can you spot?  

I counted 20 million references. Name the nods you noticed in the comments! Obviously my favorite wa— ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

[UPDATE] Moviepilot.de figured 'em all out and put them in a cool video! Super impressive work from moviepilot.de:

The Simpsons"Treehouse of Horror XXIV" airs this Sunday, October 6 at 8pm on Fox.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/22/2016

Season 27 : Episode 22

36 Comments
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
There are references to The pans Laberinth, World War Z and many others. If you dare take The Ultimate Simpsons Quiz
Flag
actually if you think about it, the call of cthulhu scene also relates to fantasia (original) composition wise, you get two reference for the price of one
Flag
The call of cthulhu/mountains of madness
The day the earth stood still
alien
Jason and the Argonauts
the fly
doctor Jekyll and mister Hyde
freaks
Godzilla
and I think phantasm

Flag
Alfred Hitchcock, Edgar Alled Poe, Stephen King, the Robot and Blade.
Flag
Resident Evil
Flag
'The Birds' Alfred Hitchcock
Flag
Oh wow. That was perfect.
Flag
Just a reference to the spookiest nightmare ever:
"This content is currently unavailable" :-(
Flag
One of the best couch gag in recent years.
Flag
Great! And love subtle nod to:

The Omega Man

Flag
Was there ever actually a Halloween reference for Michael Myers fans in the THoH episodes????
Flag
From my recollection, I don't think there ever was. I do remember Jason, Pinhead, and Freddy, but I don't think I ever really saw him on the show. A part of me always thought he was with those guys.
Flag
I'm surprised that they have included The Shining... BUT yet again they never did one with a Michael Myers reference... Kinda disappointing since it is a Halloween special episode...
Flag
Ended up watching that TreeHouse over again. Still as good as I remember it. Michael Myers probably wasn't done because they had other horror icons they could use that would do the same thing or be even better. Willie in that Freddy Cougar episode practically stole the whole storyline.
Flag
Also there were a lot of references from past TreeHouse episodes which were references to other movies.

My personal favorite TreeHouse episode was "The Raven." It wasn't funny, but it had a cerebral quality to it, and ultimately exposed me to Poe.

Also, nice touch at the start with the Doughnut boy. "I paid for a COLOSSAL doughnut, and I'm going to get a COLOSSAL doughnut."
Flag
I hate Geo blocking
Flag
I appreciated the Hitchcock reference the most but have to say, one of the greatest couch gag of the entire series!
Flag
I was happy to see the short scene featuring science fiction characters:

Lost in Space Robot
Rod Serling
Skeletons from Army of Darkness
Gort (The Day the Earth Stood Still)

I didn't know what the scene featuring Mr. Burns with eyes in his palms was from. Anyone care to enlighten me?

There are a few horror scenes that GerladC7 listed that I never heard of, so I couldn't recognize them in the video. Can you specify what referred to the following:
Pan's Labyrinth
Phantom of the Paradise
Mimic
Cronos
American Horror Story
The Devil's Backbone

Also, I didn't notice some of the references Ankh49 mentioned. Where were the following references?

Ghostbusters
Little Shop of Horrors
Flag
Mr. Burns is the Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth. Another Pan's Labyrith reference the whole scene @ the end, Lisa as Ofelia. Phantom of the Paradise @ 1:30. Marge Mimic @ 1:23. Cronos' devices along with Maggie @ 1:18 (the ones with the price tag). Homer as the ghost of Santi from Devil's Backbone in the couch.
Flag
Thanks so much for the VERY detailed response. Now it will be easy to see what I was missing! Thanks again!!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Zero, because this content is currently unavailable.
Flag
wow I got the same # as you to!
Flag
Here's the Youtube link.

Flag
thank you
Flag
Thanks.

But seriously is it that hard for TV.com, a supposed worldwide website, to link to a proper one that we can all watch? I mean it is every dam time.
Flag
If you use Firefox, you can get an add-on called Media Hint, and fix that right up. :)
Flag
- Blade
- Hellboy
- The shining and Stephen King
- Pan's Labyrinth
- Alfred Hitchcock and The Birds
- The cyclops from Harryhausen
-The car from the movie The Car
- Phantom of the Paradise
- Mimic
-Cronos
- Futurama
- Edgar Allan Poe
- Ray Bradbury
- Universal classic monsters
- American Horror Story
- Alice in Wonderland
- The Devil's Backbone

Flag
Ooh u managed to get some I missed but I challenge 'Alice in Wonderland' as I deliberately didn't include that in my list as I don't think it counts as a 'horror reference'
Flag
maybe the writers were scared by this scene:

Flag
Can't argue with that. :-D
Flag
I managed to get 21
Dawn of the Dead
Ghostbusters
The Birds
The Shining
Hellboy
Blade II