We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A The Simpsons Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on FOX

The show itself maybe never die, but one of its characters is going to: The Simpsons is planning to axe one of its characters this season, according to executive producer Al Jean. While it appears that the news broke over the weekend, the internet waited until today to really dig into it (maybe everyone was simply too busy watching/dissecting/mourning the end of Breaking Bad?). Naturally, that means it's time to predicct who the unlucky Springfield resident might be. 

We've got one clue to work with: Jean hinted that "the actor playing the character won an Emmy for playing that character"—but since basically all the main actors on the show have won an Emmy over the years, that tidbit doesn't narrow things down all that much. 

However, Vulture took a closer look at the show's 14 Outstanding Voice-Over Performance victories and compiled the following list of characters who might be headed for doom: Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart, Sideshow Bob, Krusty the Clown, Willie, Sideshow Mel, Barney, Grampa, Itchy, Moe, Carl, Chief Wiggum, Apu, Johnny Tightlips, Bumblebee Man, Cletus, Comic Book Guy, Lou, Mrs. Krabappel, Rabbi Krustofsky, and Princess Penelope. 

We've tossed 'em all into a poll for your speculating pleasure; vote below, then explain your reasoning in the comments. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/24/2016

Season 27 : Episode 19

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/8/2016

Season 27 : Episode 20

51 Comments
Comments (51)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Although Grampa would be the more natural choice all things being equal, I think it will probably be Edna Krabappel who dies, simply because the actress who voiced her, Marcia Wallace, died last year - and I've noticed that since this happened Mrs K has scarcely appeared (if at all this season??) and for sure has had no lines.

Of course, it would be easy enough to retain the character in crowd scenes etc., and even to keep her character just by splicing together previously recorded lines - I mean, there's gotta be enough of Mrs K's voice recordings stored up in Fox's vaults after 24 years to 'copy & paste' sufficient 'new' lines for years to come (& it's only a cartoon so I doubt anyone'd be offended by that)!

BUT: Now Edna K's married to Flanders she lives next door to the Simpsons (not that we've ever seen her there except on ONE occasion...), so it would prob just be too awkward to have the character next door, but unable to speak apart from a few repeated catchphrases! So, despite how mean that would be to Stupid Flanders & his creepy kids (who, oddly, appear to have never been to school!), the show's producers may feel like they have no choice but to kill off Edna (& hopefully it will be Homer's fault again)!
More+
Flag
It's Edna Krabaple. If you dare take The Ultimate Simpsons quiz
Flag
They should just kill the show
Flag
If you think they are going to kill a member of the Simpson family, then you're just being silly.
Flag
It probably won't be Grandpa, that dude is invincible.
Flag
They better stay away from Comic Book Guy and Disco Stu...
Flag
I think it's Ms. Krabappel.... I remember them doing the future episode where Edna died unexpectedly and Flanders was with his first wife's ghost.... So they might be continuing that and it would be hilariously sad for Flanders to loss two wives in one lifetime.

It could also be grandpa because he's super old and I think people would actually give a crap if he dies.
Flag

My guess would be Mrs Krabappel. It makes sense from a story POV, and I've kinda got the impression (although I wont be surprised if I'm wrong) that the death is due to a voice actor wanting to leave the series, which mainly leaves us with Marcia Wallace (who HAS won an Emmy for voicing Krabappel) and Kelsey Grammer (who also has won an Emmy for Sideshow Bob).

If it is anyone else, I sure see the logic in killing off Grandpa.

Then again - if it IS Edna who's about to meet her maker, it would be horribly cruel to Flanders (twice a widower...)
Flag
I was gonna go with Comic Book Guy originally, thinking he might have a coronary or something but instead, I'm going out rebel-style & say Disco Stu, because...well, just because
Flag
come on now, how could we even consider putting the simpsons family (homer,bart,maggie,marge,lisa) on this list.

This would make The simpsons lose all of it's classic attributes. I can see Grampa dying, or even mr. Burns. hell even marg's sisters could go. But putting a main simpson up for ellimination is just bonkers!
Flag
The real question is, Who shot Mr. Burns...
Flag
WHAT? One of the characters will die? Why The Simpsons will do the same thing that Family Guy will do in season 12? I still love The Simpsons but killing one of the chracters is a bad idea and The Simpsons totally ripped off Family Guy's idea. Anyway, I think Edna will die because Ned said Homer killed Edna in Holiday's of Future Passed. Sideshow Bob, Johnny Tightlips, Bumblebee Man, Princess Penelope, Rabbi Krustofsky, Barney and Sidsehow Mel might be the ones who will die too. If Comic Book Guy dies, his death will be the WORST DEATH EVER. I hope they don't kill Barney and Sideshow Bob because I like Barney and I always enjoy watching Sideshow Bob episodes, except Funeral for a Fiend (that episode was disappointing) and I want to see more of Bob's plans to kill Bart. The others won't die because of Holidays of Future Passed. I don't know why some people voted for Grandpa more. He won't be die because of Holidays of Future Passed.
HOLIDAYS OF FUTURE PASSED!!! I'M SERIOUS, WATCH THIS EPISODE AGAIN!
Flag
Please tell me you're joking when you say "The Simpsons totally ripped off Family Guy's idea" ... Maude Flanders was killed off of The Simpsons way back in S11 in 2000. They are not ripping anyone off and if that's your logic, every show is ripping every show off because characters die all the time.
Flag
Not to mention Youtube is full of vids showing Family Guy ripping off (sometimes shot-forshot copying) The Simpsons
Flag
Honestly, I hope it's the whole damn Simpson family cuz this show is just not funny anymore and it hasn't been for quite a while. Ok fine, like 4- 5 episodes a year are decent, but that's a pretty shitty ratio... I dunno, maybe the premiere was a return to greatness and I'm being too harsh, what do I know?
Flag
The Simpsons isn't just about being funny like Family Guy and similar shows... it actually has good storylines... sometimes meaningful and deep. I admit they become fewer with the years... but I'd rather say 10 episodes a season.
Flag
Simpson family won't die because they were in Holidays of Future Passed and other future-themed episodes of The Simpsons.
Flag
Lol..not sure how serious this answer is..
Flag
How did more people vote for Bart and Homer than Cletus and Willie? Hint: it's not Bart or Homer.
Flag
I think with the timing of the announcement, it may be Sideshow Bob, sacrificing himself to save Bart. A la Breaking Bad.
Flag
A show with absolutely no continuity is going to kill a character? So basically they're just going to stop using someone.
Flag
They've been known to occasionally make serious changes like this. I remember when Maud died, that was shock.
Flag
Sideshow Bob. It will be a takeoff of Star Trek Into Darkness where Bart's nemesis gets killed in a revenge that backfires.
Flag
The season 25 premier of the Simpsons was pretty great! Homeland referenced episode was too funny and Kristen Wigg was great! Love this show!
Flag
And Mr. Burns is not on the list? It can't be Lisa because it's too horrible.
Flag
Mrs K. The actress who does her voice work is in her 70's so may want to give up doing it. Also gives Flanders another test of faith as another one of his wives is killed off.
Flag
Perhaps one of Moe's suicide attempts works?
Flag
I voted for Grampa but it could be anyone who isn't that important.
Flag
Woah, that is so crazy. I was just thinking it was time to kill off a character. I vote for Millhouse.
Flag
Montgomery Burns isn't a candidate? I haven't watched the show in over 10 years, but is he still alive?? Has his voice actor never won an Emmy? I voted for Grandpa, but only because old Burnsy wasn't on the list.
Flag
PLZ let it be Sideshow Bob!!!
Flag
I say Sideshow Bob. Kelsey may not want to be on the show
Flag
If they want the death to leave a mark (and afer twenty-five years they probably do), it should be a really important character (but not the main five, that would be stupid).
So I'm saying it's Abe.
Flag
It's probably Mrs. Krabappel, and I'll tell you why. Edna is the only voice in the list that's not a main character and also is not voiced by someone who does multiple voices (Lisa is the only other single-voice acted character, but as a main character she's signed for a while longer). It also fits pretty well, Marcia Wallace is now 70 and has been acting a very long time, she may want to take it down a notch. On the other hand, how messed up is it if Ned's second wife eats it too?

My second choice would be Rabbi Hyman Krustofsky, voiced by the incomparable Jackie Mason who is 82, but also lately by Dan Castellaneta which lowers his chances of actually being killed off slightly. Then again, the character is pretty old, so that does raise his chances almost to even with Mrs. Krabappel.
Flag
I honestly don't really care who they kill off this season, but when will they make Maggie talk and grow up just one year. I do get that they live in La-La Land , but don't they ever grow up, ever?
Flag
Really, Grampa? I don't think it will be a Simpson.
Flag
I guessed Sideshow Bob, but mainly because he wasn't seen in any of the episodes set in the future. Nearly all the others listed have, so via process of elimination, he's one of the few whom we haven't seen as older in the future eps.
Flag
Wow, detective work!
Flag
On tvline, it also said that it would be a regular character? So that might knock some of those choices out.
Flag
But how do you define a regular character on The Simpsons? One of the family?
Flag
Staff
You know, I've been a little confused by that myself. The original story definitely says "regular character." But as more and more outlets publish the news, I've seen that reinterpreted as "iconic," "long-time," and "major," and that seems a bit of a stretch. I do think it'll be someone who's on the more "recurring" end of the spectrum, though.
Flag
That's the reason I went with Mrs. Krabappel, she's a semi-regular character, they've been using her less for no reason, and Marcia Wallace has sounded a little tired in her readings on recent seasons.
Flag
Well I don't see them killing any of the major 5(Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie), but I don't think Grampa Simpson would be out of the realm of possibility, but I'm guessing it will be someone more in the realm of Sideshow Bob. I just wish we knew when exactly when this death would occur.
Flag
I guessed CBG.

Worst. Death. Ever.
Flag
Staff
Could definitely be super cruel if it *is* Comic Book Guy: Apparently he's supposed to get married this year.
Flag
I'm guessing Sideshow Bob, but I don't think there is an actual way to guess who it will be.
Flag
its not the first time they kill one of its characters , i remember the death of Maude Flanders
and i am guessing it will be Edna Krabappel , because Ned can't catch a break
Flag
Follow this Show
Members