A The Simpsons Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on FOX (Returning September 25, 2016)

One day many years from now, when the Earth is a deserted wasteland inhabited by nothing but zombies shuffling around and munching on other zombie's brains, the bright yellow residents of the 2-D town of Springfield will still be alive and kickin'. Translation: Fox has renewed The Simpsonsthe longest-running scripted program in history—for Season 26.

The series may be old, but it isn't acting like it. Sunday's Season 25 premiere, a spoof of Showtime's Homeland, was the number-one program of the night among adults ages 18-49, according to Fox. And this Sunday, the show will air its annual "Treehouse of Horror" Halloween special, featuring an extended opening couch gag by director Guillermo Del Toro.

Still, with age also comes death; it was recently announced that a regular character will bite the dust this season. Who do you think it will be? Who do you want it to be? And are you excited about this renewal?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/22/2016

Season 27 : Episode 22

49 Comments
Comments (49)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It hasn't been great in ages. Its gotten to the point where I wont even watch repeats on Sky when they're on, and the new episodes are just tiresome.
I'm hoping they kill off either Marge or Lisa, because I think they're the worst characters. I realise this will not happen, and so I will probably not watch many more future episodes. I will probably watch Treehouse of Horror this weekend though.
Flag
What can I say, my life wouldn't be the same without them =)
Flag
I think much of it's current viewership are kids who watch repeats in the afternoon each day which allows them to go through a number of seasons each year. So they can catch every episode within five years or less. As such they haven't reached a burnout point yet. I don't know how much of the viewership for new episodes are those who watched it from day one.
Flag
OMG! I think I stopped watching The Simpsons 13 years ago or something. It's unbelievable it's still running. I don't know about its quality now but when I quitted, it had become unbearable to me.
Flag
Some people just like to complain. Very few long-running series can keep the quality up year after year. It's a fact of the business. And this is for series under ten years. Sure the Simpsons had writing staff changes, repeated storylines, and some stinkers. All series do. For the number of years and the number of episodes, the Simpsons still does a remarkable job. Anybody who thinks otherwise can change the channel and watch Big Brother and stop complaining. So far, I haven't seen a script written by someone who complains about the Simpsons and I doubt I ever will. As I said, some people just like to complain.
Flag
Funny how people can't take criticism. Do you write the show yourself? Probably not - so you shouldn't take things so personally. I definitely changed the channel - like I said, 13 years ago. But I don't watch Big Brother - which has been running for more than a decade as well, right? If you can watch the same thing for 26 years, I can't. It's undeniable that The Simpsons was a milestone for TV and it made History, but I think when something goes on forever, it loses its value somehow. The fact that I don't write shows can't prevent me from criticizing - especially when something should be about Art, not only about making money over and over and over...
Flag
I had a chance to speak with the cast recently. They had just returned from the wake and Homer was more than a little drunk. He was upset that Millhouse had passed on. This surprised me a bit. Then he shook his head and said that he thought it was Millhouse but it could have been Cory Monteith.

Flag
not that funny dude
Flag
Congratulations to the show
Flag
Have to say I haven't actively watched any new episodes for years, but 'Homerland' convinced me to start recording it again, and with this news, I'm likely to keep watching.
Flag
Doctor Who is in its 50th year :p
Flag
Well, yes & no. ::puts on trucker hat with the word GEEK in front::
DW 1st ran from '63-'89 came back in '96 for a single TV movie, then disappeared again until '05-present, so it's really just in its mid-30's
But yeah, I think the Simpsons still technically have a way to go
Flag
"Nobody likes a math nerd", Fox Mulder to Dana Scully
Flag
There are a number of non-English language shows that have gone for longer, and with more episodes per season. Then there's shows like One Piece which have not been around as long but have far more episodes (over 600 for One Piece).

And don't forget Sesame Street. It's had 44 seasons so far and over 4,350 episodes.

Flag
Sesame Street...Hmmm...that's an excellent point. I didn't think of that.

::As the words are read, the trucker hat with the word GEEK on the front begins to glow with the light of a million televisions and rises into the air. Dozens of Klingons appear in the rafters of Moe's Tavern wearing bow ties & fezes and begin an inspirational rendition of the Sesame Street theme on kazoos as the hat floats towards Patrick: Its new & rightful owner::

Well done Sir! The Geek is dead. Long live the GEEK! :D
Flag
"What Is Yellow and Animated Will Never Die?"

creatively it has
Flag
If you don't like it, why do you watch it? Masochistic tendencies? If you don't watch it, how do you know it's bad? If you just watch it occasionally you miss the good ones, so your comment is invalid. But if you watch it all the time, why do you complain? Stop watching it. If you don't watch it all the time, how do you know it's bad? If you think it's bad why do you watch it? If you don't watch it how do you know it's bad? etc. etc. etc.
Flag
Awe, someone's afraid of criticism. And a valid criticism at that, based off the last thirteen years of episodes. If you don't like to read criticism then why do you read the comments? Masochistic tendencies? I certainly enjoyed reading your criticism.
Flag
It keeps going, and going, and going, ... I think it will outlive me!
Flag
Please, someone give it back some dignity. Enough is enough.
Flag
Longest-running scripted program in history? Isn't Young and Retsless in its forty-first season or something?

And why the hell aren't they airing their Halloween special during the same week as Halloween?
Flag
Fox almost never airs the THoH episodes as close as possible to Halloween. (I think last year or the year before was a rare exception to that general rule.) On the plus side, it's better for it to air now than sometime in early November, which has been Fox's choice for many, many years now. It's the same thing as Christmas specials airing the first week of December being preferable to having them air on December 27th. Too early may not be ideal but too late is much worse.

Flag
The Halloween episode is aired around the time of the baseball playoffs. This has affected the airdate for several years. They can't just stop the baseball game for half an hour to show the Simpsons. So it's either broadcast early or late. It's not really FOX's "choice." Their hands are tied. As far as the Christmas episode, most new Christmas episodes are done by mid-December because networks want to show specials and reruns the week or so before Christmas. There are exceptions like last year's Family Guy but that was because it had been delayed a week supposedly due to real-life events.
Flag
There've been a few years -- including one fairly recently -- when the Sunday immediately preceding Halloween wasn't pre-empted by baseball and yet Fox still delayed the THoH episode until the first week of November. It's true that their hands are usually tied by the baseball schedule but there have also been some rare times when it did seem like a choice.

I don't mind at all that the episode aired so early this year. It's much more preferable to having it air after the fact, even if it's only one day later.
Flag
Besides, as kids are concerned, Halloween begins Oct. 1st.
Flag
Yeps, I am happy about this.
Flag
I think you mean longest running primetime scripted program. As The World Turns? Anyway, it's good to see that a network infamous for cancelling shows before their time is giving this little underdog a fair go.
Flag
I still watch The Simpsons religiously even though 99% of the people will always inevitably say that The Simpsons was best during season 1-10. I do acknowledge its sagging ratings and quality but I just can't help watching this cartoon. Its like comfort food or something. I think FOX is just trying to break some TV record, but if it means more Simpsons, fine by me.
Flag
4-12, not 1-10
Flag
I love "The Simpsons." My viewership of new episodes hasn't been very consistent these past few years, but I watch it when I can and I'm happy for the cast and crew of that oh-so-familiar show. So many people are so quick to say that the older seasons are the only ones worth watching, but despite the lack of original episode plots, "The Simpsons" continues to persevere with its original style of humor and diverse cast of characters.

Congrats, you yellow sonsuvbiscuits, you!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members