The Simpsons

Dancin' Homer

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 08, 1990 on FOX

• Great but sort boring at times

I'll start off with a note. This episode has a directing debut of Kirkland, who had directed more Simpsons episodes than any other (He's the directing equivalent to Swartwelder). This episode is actually a story told by Homer on how he become a mascot. Homer's zipper up on the jumbo vision, Burns poorly throwing the ball (Bart and Homer heckle him about it), "the hitter's off his rocker, kissing Betty Crocker," the end of act 1 ("Will you shut up?! I'm trying to think of a name!"), "I'm gonna miss split brother gag, humorous moments. Homer performing a dance that makes the baseball player performing a homerun was cool to see. I liked the scene with the Simpsons arriving at Capital City especially with this cool jazz song, sung by Tony Bennett. This is definitely more interesting than SAD (the second episode of this season) and it's on par with TCIEGATEOEF. Only flaw I had in this episode were Bleeding Gum Murphy singing the national anthem so slowly. This was the only time I was bored in this episode because BGM drags it too long to the point everyone expect Lisa were tired of it. It was a bit boring at times as well. Overall, this was a superb episode of the Simpsons.

Score: 9/10
  • Good.

The episode begins at Moe's bar where Homer is badgered by Moe and Barney to tell the story of his adventure in Capital City, Homer reluctantly agrees. His story begins with himself and his family, as they attend a Springfield Isotopes baseball game, as part of the nuclear power plant's employee appreciation night. They arrive to the ballpark in a charter bus driven by Otto. At the game Homer and the rest of the family are enjoying themselves and having a good time, when to Homer's dismay Mr. Burns sits right next to him in the stands. Surprisingly though, Homer and Mr. Burns strike it off and have a great time together at the game. In the bottom of the ninth, even with the winning run stepping to the plate for the Isotopes the crowd is clearly not into the game. Homer, unhappy about the crowd's lack of enthusiasm for their hometown team, steps out in front of his section in an effort to rally the crowd into a cheering frenzy. As "Baby Elephant Walk" plays in the background, Homer does a crazy little dance and as the crowd starts to wake up and cheer, the batter at the plate hits a walk-off home-run to win the game. In the parking lot after the game everyone crowds around Homer applauding him. Antoine "Tex" O'Hara, the owner of the Isotopes approaches Homer and asks him if he would like to be the full-time mascot for the Isotopes. Homer accepts and while he tries to decide what his mascot name should be, someone from the bus calls out and refers to him as Dancin' Homer, and the name sticks.

Overall, an okay episode

7.5 out of 10

• fair

what i liked- Bleeding Gums Murphy taking forever to sing the Star-Spangled Banner, the end to act one with the guy calling homer 'dancin homer' and homer telling him to shut up so he could think of a name, the ending, etc.

meh, never cared too much for this one. it has some good moments but it is pretty boring by s2 standards, i think so at least. C+/B- or so as my final grade

• a good ep

home and the family go to the base ball game and root for there team homer starts to dance at the baseball game and the teams starts winning and homer and everyone in the crowd is cheering due the fact he got the team to so he gets hired to dance at the games but its gets old and the team loses one and homer is all done for dancing homer it was a ok ep it was decent but there is still alot better ones in season two . and they got pretty creative with this one homer meating the famouse screwball mascot .
  • Not the best.

Homer tell the boys at moes about his time in the cityadn narrates what happens.Homer dances at a baseball game the team owner sees it and he gets a job dancing as a mascot. Soon he becomes very popular and is offered a job at capitol city so the simpsons go there and see how much bigger it is. Homer dances after the capitol city mascot and the fans boo him ,so realizes he isn't cut out for the big city. He quits and they go back to Sprinfield.

It isn't close to the best of season 2. This episode got old. 7.5
  • Maybe I just need to watch this episode again, but it was not one of my favorites...

7.6
    Homer recounts his brush with fame to his friends at Moes Tavern. The story unfolds. The family attends the baseball gathering held by the Nuclear Power Plant. Burns, of all people, sits next to Homer. To Homer's surprise, Burns buy's Homer a few drinks. Soon, Homer is drunk. With the Isotopes down by three runs, Homer excites the crowd with an impromptu dance and rallies the team to victory. The Isotopes manager gets Homer a job as the team mascot. He accepts, and leads the team on a winning streak. Homer is soon offered a job with the Capital City Capitals. The Simpsons sell everything and move to the big city. On his first night as team mascot, his small-town routine flops before the big city crowd and he is fired. Homer is happy because the folks at Moes were not interested in his failure, but hearing his adventures.
  • dancin homer

this was another great episode of season 2 sure it was not the best but is was not that bad so dont listen to most of those reviews this was a great episode and it is worth watching.

the episode starts off when homer its next to mr.burns during a baseball gbame and during that game he gets so drunk he starts dancing and so the team makes him the maskciot of the baseball team and the motre homer dances more games the team wins until homer is promoted to capital city mascot but will he beable to step up to a new plate
  • Quite unlike many other episodes of The Simpson

As always, The Simpsons made me laugh, and this episode wasn't any diffrent. Homer becomes a mascot for Capital City, and it was so funny with jokes like the baseball that Bar wanted signed, and stuff like Mr. Burns throwing the pitch. That was funny, because Mr. Burns couldn't even get it over the plate, but the episode was diffrent because I don't think I've really seen a show or episode that shows a Mascot rising, then failing and how difficult it can be for them. The job is awesome, but atleast Homer went back to his usual self. Aslo jokes like the "expecting" baby thing for Maggie was so funny.

The Simpsons didn't disappoint in this episode!
  • One of season 2's better episodes.

While at Moe's Homer tells the story about what happened to him in Capital City. One night at a Springfield Isotopes baseball game, Homer started dancing to pump up the crowed. The Isotopes went on to win the game, and Homer got a job as the team's mascot. Soon, Homer got bumped up to be a part-time mascot at Capital City, up along side the "Greatest Mascot There Is", according to Homer, the Capital City Goof Ball. Homer becomes an absolute flop in Capital City and gets fired.

I thought Dancin' Homer was a great episode. Sub-consciously probably because I'm obsessed with baseball, but still, this was an entertaining episode that any Simpsons fan would respect.
  • I didn't really like this episodes storyline, but I still thought that the episode was great.

The family attends a Springfield Isatopes game, and Homer gets drunk and dances for the team. He becomes an offical mascot for the team, boosting attendance and the team's play. But when Homer attempts to crack the big time - the big city ballpark of Capital City - he strikes out. Yet he finds to his suprise that the experience has benefited him after all since his friends now consider him intresting. The whole episode turned out to be a flash back sequence in which Homer was at Moe's telling his story. This episode was prouble my least favorite episode of Season 2.
  • Homer tells a great story!

Homers tells his fellow barflies on how he became a star in the world of sports mascots and then it just dissapeared.

The ending was quite similar to Bart's "I didn't do it!" episode. In the end the audience stopped laughing or they weren't entertained.

I wasn't so much laughing in this episode as I was fascinated by the story - Which is quite amazing! Normally the plot takes a back seat to the laughs and I find myself entertained.

When there is more plot and less laughs its usually for me a weaker episode - but this is an exception.

Top episode!
  • this is funny

7.8
    i like this episode a lot because homer tells moe and carl and lenny and all the other drunken bums in moes tavern of the time where he was the springfield mascot. then he got to capitol city and they hated homer for some reason. he went back home to go to moes which is where it started in the first place. i think its clever how the creators did that to create the illusion that homer is telling his story up to that point.
  • The music was good!

Dancin' Homer is about Homer becoming a mascot for the Springfield team, and everyone loves him which is great, until they move to Capitol City. The song was so cool. I've never heard of it before but now I love it. It was great for it to be in a Simpson's episode. And it was catchy too. Even if it ended so surprisingly it was a good episode. Homer dancing was funny, and that Springfield dance was halirious too. Pretty good story. Homer had some good lines in this. It wasn't as funny as a I thought, but this is pretty good.
  • Dancin' Homer

This is my favourite episode of Season 2. It is entertaining and funny and it is real enjoyable to watch. I have this episode on my Season 2 box set. I liked all the episodes of Season 2 but this one was the best. As I said above it is real entertaining.
  • the second flashback episode (the first was the telltale head)

7.7
    this episode was not the greatest simpson episode but it did have a good plot. homer becomes a mascot for the local baseball team and gets more and more popular until the springfield isotopes lose and he gets moved to capitol city, an even greater honour, alongside the capitol city gooofball. unfortunately, things don't go well from there and the simpsons move back to springfield where homer is telling the barflys at moes just how messed up his life is. this is only the second job homer has been introduced as having in the series, not including the nuclear power plant or the jobs he had before the series began shown in later flashbacks in the series. the other job was in the first episode where homer worked as a department store santa
  • Nothing Special really.

5.5
    I wasn't mega impressed by this episode, not many laughs and the storyline was somewhat erm what's the word? Ah Predictable, the seeing of Homer coming to be a famous person in a little place and reaching his peak. And then going down to be a little person in a famous place and get dropped down to the person who sits around a bar and tells his friends (who surprisingly want to hear his story again... I didn't!) how he was once a star. The crash and burn of Homer was a storyline that typifies Homer's luck... all none of it!
  • Save for Tony Bennett singing a "New York, New York" parody, nothing too special here. Mr. Burns steals the show in the first act. I did like the brutal failure of Homer in Capital City: sort of showcases the sardonic nature of the show.

Tom Poston was in this one as the Goofball mascot. Actually I liked his performance. It was understated just like it was supposed to be.

The show has done several successful baseball episodes over the years but I'd have to say that this one is my least favorite. The plot is fairly predictable albeit sad in that Homer ultimately crashes and burns.

The story within a story (Homer telling the guys at Moe's how it all happened) did nothing for me. Seems like they put that in there to add time to the show.

So not really anything special. I felt it was light on laughs too. But not a bad episode by any means. The plot is solid and it works.