The Simpsons

Diatribe of a Mad Housewife

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 25, 2004 on FOX

• Marge,The Novelist :)

I loved the idea of the housewife depression that made her fantasy is a "passion" novel,

was so funny episode and very well written
  • Homer becomes an ambulence driver; Marge writes a novel.

Homer has a car accident and is fired from the power plant, prompting him to get a job as a car salesman, which he resigns from after purchasing an old ambulance. Marge takes the kids to a book store where she listens to an author and is convinced she should write a novel. Her book involves a lonely housewife stuck in a deadend marriage with a brute husband, who is one day wowed by a visitor to the island. The inspiration behind her characters comes from Homer and Ned Flanders. Lisa reads her copy and notices the similarities immediately. Marge gets Homer to read it before sending it to be published, but he falls asleep and tells her he read it anyway. The book is published and the town begin to talk about Homer and Marge's marriage behind their backs. Homer notices and eventually purchases a copy of the book on tape. Rather than get angry with Ned he consults him for tips on how to become a better husband. Both stories in this episode were solid and funny. The ending was expected but need. It was good to see Homer care about his Marriage once again. Give this episode a watch because it is well put together and funny.
  • Marge writes a book in which Flanders is the one she loves not Homer. Are Homer and Marge's marriage in jeporady once again?????

• Marge Simpson becomes frustrated with her life as a housewife to an unappreciative (to say the least) family. She writes a novel in which Flanders is the Knight in Shining Armour and Homer is the local deadbeat.

No matter how many times I watch it, this episode makes me scream with laughter. It is wonderfully clever, (of course, which Simpsons episode isn't?) but it also portrays the humanity in Marge and Homer's marriage. Each scene has a different classic quote, such as Homer's quote "I wasn't lying, I was telling fiction with my mouth!"

I enjoy the random celebrity guest appearances, they are a part of what makes the show kooky and special. Also, you can't get enough of Homer's tireless antics, such as quitting his job (again) and becoming an ambulance driver. This episode should make everyone a fan of the show, it is funny, heartwarming, and filled with one-liners that will make you want to buy the show and watch it over and over (like I did!)
  • The best of season 15 up to this point.

This episode was really good. A well thought out plot, some great lines, and Homer not being a total jerk (towards the end, at least). The episode took a little too long to get going, but then Marge deciding to start writing a novel seemed pretty abrupt. More time should have been spent on introducing this idea (from the beginning of the episode). But still, the episode got better and better as it progressed and ended extremely well.

There were a couple of things I disliked. The first was that there were too many guest stars who didn't do anything, really (Tom Clancy, Olsen twins). Secondly, Homer's eyes darting about all over the place (and later Bart's) was totally wrong and broke one of Matt Groening's core rules for the show (that character's eyes don't go in different directions). It's happened before (The Sweetest Apu), but I didn't expect it to happen again. The last thing was the appearance of Dr. Marvin Monroe who was supposed to be dead. Well, I'm not against his appearance, it just seemed unnecessary and he didn't do anything for the episode at all.
  • this episode is a prime example of the comedy of the simpsons

the simpsons is, without a doubt, the best adult animated series and is also the longest running cartoon. "Diatribe of a mad housewife" is one of my favourite episodes and with good reason. for instance it shows examples of just how stupid homer is with quote such as:

Homer:"You decided to write a novel without consulting me?"
    Marge: "You quit 2 jobs and bought an antique vehicle without so much as a phone call"
    Homer: "I also fed some ducklings."
    Marge: "I know, I got your message"

It is also one of the many episodes where homer has a new job - well jobs if you count the ten second career as a car salesman. homer is not the most reliable ambulance driver, hiring his children as paramedics, asking people where they'd like to go as if he was a taxi and using the ambulance to chase his neighbours down the road, flanders of course.

marge also has a major part in this episode, writing a novel which eventually causes homer to become jealous (eventually meaning listening to the novel on tape days after saying that he'd read it). Overall this is a classic example of just why the simpsons is so popular