The Simpsons

Diatribe of a Mad Housewife

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 25, 2004 on FOX

• The best of season 15 up to this point.

This episode was really good. A well thought out plot, some great lines, and Homer not being a total jerk (towards the end, at least). The episode took a little too long to get going, but then Marge deciding to start writing a novel seemed pretty abrupt. More time should have been spent on introducing this idea (from the beginning of the episode). But still, the episode got better and better as it progressed and ended extremely well.

There were a couple of things I disliked. The first was that there were too many guest stars who didn't do anything, really (Tom Clancy, Olsen twins). Secondly, Homer's eyes darting about all over the place (and later Bart's) was totally wrong and broke one of Matt Groening's core rules for the show (that character's eyes don't go in different directions). It's happened before (The Sweetest Apu), but I didn't expect it to happen again. The last thing was the appearance of Dr. Marvin Monroe who was supposed to be dead. Well, I'm not against his appearance, it just seemed unnecessary and he didn't do anything for the episode at all.