The Simpsons

El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 05, 1997 on FOX

• this was a good ep

homer goes to a chilli festival and he is like the top dog becasue he likes chilli but the thing is he embrisses marge all the time there he gets to go but thing is he embarises marge there and then he comes back and eats a the chill and is the king again but he gets lost in the desert and he goes on a journey looking for his soul mate this was a good ep i thought at first he does not think its marge but at the end he does and the save the boat from crashing and it crashes some were eles and shorts come out of it. this was a good ep
  • El Viaje Misterious do Nuestro Jomer {The Mysterious Voyage of Homer}

Homer goes on a quest after eating some weird chili peppers, and discovers he needs to find his soul mate. But he immediately declares that the soul mate is obviously Marge. But when Marge is furious at him for something, Homer thinks Marge might not be his soul mate. So he goes out to meet his soul mate. But at the end he realizes the only soul mate he has, is who he expected: Marge.

A good episode, kinda predictable {of course Marge is his soul mate}, but still good nonetheless. My overall grade would be an A+, definitely recommend
  • Homer searches for his soul mate.

After promising to behave, Marge lets Homer attend the annual Springfield Chili Cook-Off. After eating a dish laced with potent Guatemalan peppers, he begins to hallucinate. In his altered mind-state, Homer experiences a fantasy involving a talking coyote. He tells him that in order to become a complete person, he must find his soul mate. Homer arrives home from the cook-off. Marge accuses him of breaking his promise, and Homer leaves the house and roams the city convinced that Marge is not his soul mate after all. He convinces himself that only a lonely lighthouse keeper would understand him, so he heads to the lighthouse. He finds out that the lighthouse is operated by a computer. Marge farrives at the lighthouse and apologizes to homer. He realizes she is his soul mate after all. This episode was in a word: strange. However, I loved some of the jokes like Homer breaking the sun. The Simpsons took a risk on a strange plot but it all worked out in the end.
  • The Simpons take a risk and it pays off

When Homer arrogantly thinks he can handle any chilli, no matter how hot, he goes on a strange and mystical journey after going one pepper too far. When he returns to reality he realises that maybe he and Marge aren't meant to be so he leaves her.

This isn't a typical Simpsons episode; it's semi - serious and insightful the whole way through and even its "comedy" moments have a deeper meaning.
    What affects the episode's poignancy is that we all know how the episode will end and if a movie was presenting these sorts of themes; an unpredictable ending is crucial. Because we know what's coming, rather than anticipation the final act comes off as just routine. The dream sequence is hands down not only the best part of the episode but i'm having trouble naming any scenes in The Simpsons that top this. The breathtaking animation which used a variety of methods coupled with the overall intrigue made it unforgettable and the fact that it was all animated by one man instead of sweatshop workers in Korea made it all the more personal. While in that fantasy land we had the rare feeling of wanting to see everything in it but at the same time being afraid of what we might find. When he wakes up we're given the "Wizard of Oz" routine of whether or not it was real but it's up to each viewer to make up their mind. When returning from Oz, it goes from color to black and white. Meaning that the amazing animation goes back to the standard one but the visual composition gives meaning to its appearence.

Dan Castellaneta basically carries the episode single - handidly and does so superbly, nailing all the nuances and cadences that if we closed our eyes we'd think it came from a movie. Johnny Cash lends his vocals to the talking fox and it's great to have a voice actor who doesn't inherently try to be funny, his soulful voice adds a lot to the four - legged friend. This episode sees the show taking a break from convention and exploring deeper meanings and while it may not be as consistently funny or entertaining as previous and subsequent episodes the issues it addresses and the way they're presented in both a familiar and personal way is where the magic is.
  • Homer and Marge once again prove their love for each other.

How many times have we seen an episode in which Homer and Amrge are reassuring either one about their realtionship and love? It seems to me like way too many. But I think I understand why. You see, Homer is such an idiot sometimes that Marge must be questioning her marriage all the time. This episode has its moments and for a person who is in love or is looking for the love of his lie, it can b e aa little depressing. A laugh here and there keep the episode interesting. This eight season is starting to feel strange as I was expecting. Everyone says this is the beginning of the downward spiral!
  • This episode beholds what might be both one of the trippiest sequences you'll see in a simpsons episode,but it also has a very important underlying message.

Long story short,this episode has every element within it to create a fantastic and visually pleasing simpsons episode.When Homer comes to the realisation that his marriage with marge may be corrupted,he searches for someone who can satisfy his apparent need for a real soulmate,but eventually discovers that although he has differences with marge she really is his ideal mate.Of course that's just the outcome,but the journey homer takes to uncover his love for marge is what really makes this episode a classic.After consuming some guatemolen insanity peppers at the local chili cook-off homer undergoes a trippy spiritual journey hosted by none other than Johnny cash in the form of a mystical coyote,and to seal the deal we witness the citizens of springfield enjoying an overturned ship's cargo of short-shorts.....man this is a good episode!In my final analysis i find that this episode is incredibly worth watching both for it's visual aspects and story aspects A+.
  • The art is amazing, the story is fantastic and the message makes you think. Fantastic.

This may be my favorite episode of the Simpsons. It is smart and makes you think, it is funny and makes you laugh, and it is just well put together. Homer questioning his soul-mate is amazing. It is really well made. The art-work is original and is some of the best I have ever seen in American animation. When Homer is going on his vision quest is a totally original scene to the simpsons universe. Also, this episode focuses almost totally on Homer with little to no other B-story. I love it and can watch it over and over again.
  • A very wierd episode in a way... The begining was amzing, the middle wierd but good, and the end was great

• Homer eats strange peppers and experiences a strange journey, then he has to find his soulmate.

Homer goes to the big annual chili cook-off and attempts to eat the hottest chili around. He does and goes on a mystical journey through a fictitious landscape. A coyote tells him to find his soulmate and it becomes harder than expected. He goes back to the real world and sets out on his quest. He ends up at the lighthouse where he thinks his soulmate "Earl" is, but it is only a machine. It turns out that Marge was his soulmate all along. This is one of the most creative episodes ever and the second act borders on being a TOH. The best parts were Homer's trippy nightmare and his desparate quest for a soulmate. I've seen this one multiple times now that I have the DVD.

Grade: A
  • Homer's Insanity Pepper trip, with a talking space coytoe.

Marge doesn't want Homer to go to the chili cook-off, because he will get drunk, and make a fool out of himself, but he finds out and starts to eat chili, and show everyone up. Cheif Wiggum makes a chili for Homer, made from insanity peppers from Columbia. Homer gets emberassed after he eats Wiggum's chili, but Homer bounces back, when he eats wax, and eats the chili without ease. Homer starts to get trippy, he goes on a spirit quest to find his soul mate. Homer finds out that Marge isn't his soul mate, and he goes to the lighthouse to keep the lighthouse keeper company. To his dismay, the lighthouse keeper is a computer. Homer breaks the light, and with the help of Marge, they repair the lighthouse, until the tanker crashes and releases hot pants. Everyone parties, and Homer, and Marge are happy.
  • Homer goes to the annual chilli cookoff. After eating a few "Insanity Peppers", Homer finds himself in a fantasy world with a cayote telling him to find his soulmate. After an argument with Marge, he wonders if she is his real soulmate.

This episode was WONDERFUL!!! One of my personal favorites, this episode has real heart while still managing to be funny. Jhonny Cash guest starred as the "Space Cayote", and was absolutely PERFECT for that role. His deep voice brought real life to the character. It is simply a classic, enjoyed by all. The Simpsons bring us yet another wonderful installment to the series, in one of the best seasons aired so far. The whole storyline is fantastic and original. And hilarious. There is nothing to hate about this episode. It is in one word: perfect. Plus its original airdate was my birthday...
  • Homer eats a super hot pepper, and takes a mysterious voyage, where a coyote tells him to find his soulmate. Is it Marge?

Homer goes to a chilli cook off where he tastes Chief Wiggums pepper. It is super hot and he runs away crying. He drinks candel wax and comes back to Wiggum, where he eats all the peppers. Then, he passes out and goes into a alternate reality where his spiratual guide (a talking coyote,) tells him to find his soulmate. He thinks it is Marge, but she yells at him, thinking he got drunk. He goes on a search for his real soul mate and goes to a lighthouse. Marge tracks him down and he realizes she is his soulmate. Great episode overall and when Homer passes out the animation for the alternate reality is amazing. Easily one of the best in the season.
  • My favorite episode, no doubts!

Homer enters a chilli cook-off and tries all of the chilli samples. When he eat's Chief Wiggum's chili, he enters a strange world where he meets his spirit guide, a talking coyote thate tells him that Marge may not be his soulmate after all. Turns out that she is.

This episode is considered adventurous because of the strange place Homer winds up after eating a Guatimalan insanity pepper. The special effects were amazing. I loved them.

But I love the suspense you get when Homer tries to find his soul mate because his true soul mate may not be Marge after all. But it's good to know that Marge IS his soul mate. In your face, space coyote!

Speaking of space coyotes, the main reason I gave this episode a 10 is because it guests stars one of the greatest entertainers that ever lived-the legendary Johny Cash. He was a VERY good choice for this show because of his distinctive voice. He plays Homer's spirit guide, a talking coyote.

The only thing I didn't like was the end song. It was good, don't get me wrong, but I would've been more comfortable if the end scene features an oil spill in a ring-shaped pattern and it the boat crashes(The peple get out!), and catches the ring on fire, so the song that plays will be "Ring of Fire", by Johnny Cash who has a guest apperance in the show. Oh well.

It's worth the watch! Really! You can watch anytime on the Season 8 DVD that came out last week. You'll love it, too.
  • "El Viaje de Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)" Episode 3F24 (809) Original Airdate: 1/05/97 Writer: Ken Keeler Director: Jim Reardon Guest Star: Johnny Cash

At the annual Springfield Chili Cook-Off, Homer eats super-spicy chili made with a dangerous Guatemalan pepper grown by mental patients. The pepper has a powerful hallucinogenic effect and Homer wanders off into the darkest, strangest regions of his mind. Guided by a talking coyote, he goes on a voyage of self-discovery and realizes that he must find his soul mate. When he emerges from his fantastic trip, he returns home to Marge, who is furious at him for disappearing. Marge yells at Homer and tells him that she is not his soul mate, which sends Homer on another voyage to find out who is. Is Barney Homer's soul mate? Is Moe? Is some guy who placed a personal ad? Homer wanders the streets of Springfield, eventually winding up at the lighthouse at the edge of town, under the impression that the lighthouse keeper is his soul mate. Ascending the stairs to the top of the lighthouse, Homer discovers that the lighthouse is operated by a computer. Enraged, Homer shatters the lighthouse's giant light. As a giant barge approaches, Marge arrives on the scene and helps Homer save the boat. She then tells Homer that of course she's his soul mate. This Simpsons episode is one of the strangest episodes of the season with a good story, ending happily.
  • Find your soulmate Homer, find your soulmate...

Twisted and weird, this is probably the most hysterical eoisode of the Simpsons ever. I loved it. Homer needs to find his soulmate after ebing told by a coyote in a weird hallucination due to being very drunk. Marge is too angry to talk to him because Homer drank too mcuh beer at the cook-off, so Homer reckons it isn't Marge, so Homer sets out to find him/her. Homer has checked everyone in town except Earl, the lighthousekeeper, and is disgusted to find out E.A.R.L. is a robot lighthouse! Homer tries to find his soulmate on a boat by destroying the bulb in the lighthouse, and Marge arrives just in time to stop the boat from crashing and make up with Homer.

Halirious and very well-written episode, I enjoyed watching it from start to end. I LOVED the hallucation Homer had, it was so weird it was very funny. And that coyote was halirous. It's also great Marge and Homer made up. And another funny thing is Homer putting wax in his mouth to protect it from the burn of those Burning Hot Death Peppers. Very well-written episode and very funny.
  • a very abstract episode

perhaps the most absurd non-treehouse of horror episode so far in the series, El Viaje Misterioso De Nuestro Homer works very well with awesome animation and hilarious hallucinations. the jokes keep on coming in this episode from marge trying to hide the chilli cook-off from homer to homer finding out his possible soulmate Earl turns out to be a machine (EARL). this episode is anything but normal and, in some ways, that's what makes it funny. homer going crazy from chief wiggum's chilli turning into a search for homer's true soulmate is a plot only the simpsons could pull off.
  • Surrealistic animation at its best

This episode exemplifies why animation is an exquisite medium for expressing the surreal. It continues a tradition begun in the '30s with Max & Dave Fleischer in the Betty Boop and some of the earlier Popeye cartoons, and continued by Tex Avery and seldom achieved by most contemporary studios more intent on churning out product without regard to quality. When The Simpsons first appeared on TV, I was inclined to dismiss it as lowbrow, least-common-denominator fare, but it's episodes like this one that make me reassess my first impressions.