The Simpsons Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Season 22 Information & Discussion Thread

simpspin

[81]Sep 7, 2010
    • level: 11
    alcalde wrote:
    Um... a parody of anything is going to be somewhat lost on anyone who isn't familiar with the original. By that logic, one should never do a parody of anything.
    I wouldn't even consider the current writing staff being capable of parodying anything. Just having Simpsons characters in place of the original characters when attempting to be topical doesn't make you witty, it makes you pathetic. If the writing staff was genuinely making the show in the Simpsons's spirit, they'd be making fun of Twilight instead of making Twilight with Simpsons characters--and that's what SATIRE is, rather than this blatant, pop-culture ass kissing the Simpsons is rather good at currently.
    :
    The writers think this stuff is funny and interesting because... oh, I don't know... it IS funny and interesting?
    Maybe it is...if you're a group of frightened old men trying to look 'hip' in front of you're demographic audience. Really, they should all be replaced by younger, childless writers who aren't afraid to make fun of pop culture, just like the original staff!
    :
    You might not have noticed, but Twilight and its spawn have earned gazillions in book and movie sales. Everyone's seen Twilight. I haven't seen Twilight, and I've seen Twilight. I know it's about a pasty-faced sparkly vampire dude and his I'm-just-a-poor-inferior-woman-who-needs-a-man girlfriend. I think I've seen Taylor Lautner's bare torso now more times than I've seen my own. The book/movie are practically self-parodies already. Come to think of it, there HAS been a parody movie released ("Vampires Suck") in the past few weeks. It's the biggest thing right now. Why NOT parody it?

If the show had the writing staff it did between Seasons 1-8, I'd be all for a Twilight skewing, but with the current staff, eh...Remember the "Tik Tok" couch gag? *Vomits*

:
    And even if you have been living in a cave, the Simpsons skit will no doubt be about Lisa falling in love with a vampire. That's classic ToT fodder and would be ripe for humor even if Twilight didn't exist. Come to think of it, ToT has parodied The Raven, Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Shining, Sweeney Todd, and about one million other horror books/movies. That's what they've been doing for ages now and you should expect it.

Look. There's a can.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

calum27

[82]Sep 7, 2010
    • level: 4
    well said simpspin.

simpspin

[83]Sep 7, 2010
    calum27 wrote:
    well said simpspin.

Thanks. I'm getting bored with these fans of the current show who think the Simpsons cast is just a way to rewallpaper whatever's trendy in current pop culture with ugly characters. This violates an unwritten rule in great tv shows:

"An awesome TV show generates its own cool. A wannabe cool show imitates pop culture."

Sadly, The Simpsons used to be a factory where things became cool, but now it is a welfare recipient that props its image up by devouring the emblems of what our culture presently considers as cool. Seriously, I could write a fan script (after getting a basic understanding of the Twilight Characters) and have the proper Simpsons characters take the appropriate roles and it would be sort-of funny, but that wouldn't make ME a funny writer, nor does it make the Simpsons this ROTFLMAO genius program. What the writers are doing is a basic cut'n paste, nothing more.

calum27

[84]Sep 8, 2010
    The writers are kissing the asses of terrible things like glee and twilight like you said. It's really pathetic and annoying. The Kesha opening was disgusting and is an example. I think this season has a great chance at being the worst ever. Not one plot description sounds like the writers today could make it good.

Also it is true when you say writers are scared to make fun of things these days

doguineta

[85]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 20
    It's announced that the subplot of 'Elementary School Musical': Krusty is nominated to the Nobel Peace Prize and he takes Homer and Bart as his guests to Oslo.

There are like A LOT of things wrong with that plot. 1st: WHY THE HECK IS KRUSTY NOMINATED FROM A NOBEL PIECE PRIZE?!?

2nd: Why would he take Homer and Bart with him??

alcalde

[86]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 12

simpspin wrote:
    I wouldn't even consider the current writing staff being capable of parodying anything.

So... they're completely incompetent but they're retained and the show's ratings are 12% above average for FOX scripted programming? When some of us said "Heroes" had gone tragically, horribly wrong, the ratings verified our critique with a season-to-season and, with the last season, episode to episode plunge in the ratings. At the end it was neck-and-neck or even being beaten by "Chuck"'s ratings, which must cost 1/10 the price per episode. You don't have that external verification here. Do you think maybe you're being a wee bit harsh?

"Just having Simpsons characters in place of the original characters when attempting to be topical doesn't make you witty, it makes you pathetic."

You're seemingly writing the next Halloween ep in your own head then trotting it forth as evidence. Do you really think they're going to do an animated version of Twilight with nothing but the players changed?

"If the writing staff was genuinely making the show in the Simpsons's spirit, they'd be making fun of Twilight instead of making Twilight with Simpsons characters--and that's what SATIRE is, rather than this blatant, pop-culture ass kissing the Simpsons is rather good at currently."

Again, the program you're talking about doesn't exist unless you're willing to post a leaked script you somehow have access to. I mean, they've got the young male British lead of the last movie/book teen phenomenon, Harry Potter, to voice the young male British lead of the new teen movie/book franchise... right there they're being subversive. You make it sound like they're doing nothing but taking movie scripts and scratching out cast names and writing Simpsons cast names in. Besides... how does the Simpsons do a skit-length send-up of Twilight without including the Simpsons?

:
    Maybe it is...if you're a group of frightened old men trying to look 'hip' in front of you're demographic audience. Really, they should all be replaced by younger, childless writers who aren't afraid to make fun of pop culture, just like the original staff!

Geez... do you have some sort of personal vendetta against the writers? Or are you trying to imitate Comic Book Guy? :-)

simpspin

[87]Sep 8, 2010

:
    So... they're completely incompetent but they're retained and the show's ratings are 12% above average for FOX scripted programming?
    The 20th Aniversery Special boosted this past season's ratings, had it not aired, the 21st season would've most likely fallen below Season 20 in ratings.
    :
    You don't have that external verification here. Do you think maybe you're being a wee bit harsh?
    As I've said it enough times before, the Simpsons is kept alive as a commercial to sell more Simpsons merchandise. If it wasn't for the DVDs, keychains, mugs, **** or whatever has the Simpsons name slapped on it, the show would've ended a long time ago. No network would spend 5 million an episode to make a show that barely atracts 6 million viewers. Because the merchandising makes 4x the amount of money the show makes it ad revenue, the writing is a non-issue and the ratings could be "0" and the show would still make hand over fist.
    :
    You're seemingly writing the next Halloween ep in your own head then trotting it forth as evidence. Do you really think they're going to do an animated version of Twilight with nothing but the players changed?
    Pretty much and I'm basing my views on every episode that's aired during the Jean era, not to mention Al Jean even mentioned he's scared to make fun of things, namely Dubya, as he said: "It would offend too many people." Similarly, the show has not given me any examples it can properly satire anything in years. Yeah, the show is good for a cheap laugh, but the Simpsons was supposed to something more than a cheap laugh and saying it's great just because it has a popular name is actually saying very little.
    :
    Again, the program you're talking about doesn't exist unless you're willing to post a leaked script you somehow have access to.
    And the level of satire I find acceptable won't ever exist unless the staff gets replaced.
    :
    I mean, they've got the young male British lead of the last movie/book teen phenomenon, Harry Potter, to voice the young male British lead of the new teen movie/book franchise... right there they're being subversive.
    You're joking, right!? If the writers want to distract us with another celeberty guest, that's their business. It looks more like a desperate attempt at inserting "Insert Celeberty Number 235 here" just for the sake of getting him/her on. If you want subversive, go watch the show "Rock Bottom" on "Homer Bad Man" to see a great rip on show's like "Inside Edition."
    :
    You make it sound like they're doing nothing but taking movie scripts and scratching out cast names and writing Simpsons cast names in.
    That's pretty much what I was saying and just because it's on the Simpsons doesn't automatically make it funny, either.
    :
    Besides... how does the Simpsons do a skit-length send-up of Twilight without including the Simpsons?
    And with the current writing staff, they're not going to be doing a send up of Twilight--with or without the Simpsons.
    :
    Geez... do you have some sort of personal vendetta against the writers? Or are you trying to imitate Comic Book Guy? :-)
    "Comic Book Guy"? I'm surprised you didn't say "Don't have a cow, man!". Seriously though, I'd rather be called "Comic Book Guy" than be a mindless sheep Simpsons fan with horrid taste.

Edited on 09/08/2010 6:06pm

calum27

[88]Sep 9, 2010
    alcalde, do you actually think the standard of today is anywhere near what it was in the golden age?

CapnCrane

[89]Sep 9, 2010

calum27 wrote:
    The writers are kissing the asses of terrible things like glee and twilight like you said. It's really pathetic and annoying. The Kesha opening was disgusting and is an example. I think this season has a great chance at being the worst ever. Not one plot description sounds like the writers today could make it good. Also it is true when you say writers are scared to make fun of things these days

Well said. Granted, I don't hate Glee as much as you do but that doesn't mean the Simpsons should kiss its ass.

What does strike me as rather pathetic is that the show seems to be riding on the popularity of other "cool" TV shows. Anyone remember "Judge Me Tender"? That was only last season. Now they're basically trying to attract the Glee fans with this premiere. Two cast members from "Flight of the Conchords" are also in this premiere, but no one's paying attention to them because their show isn't as hugely popular. Meanwhile, there are whole articles with things like "Glee cast, meet the Simpsons" (which is a laugh in itself; it's not the Glee cast, it's three actors). I dread to think how they're going to promote the "Twilight" parody.

The only saving grace is that, for me at least, this episode can be nowhere near as bad as "Homer the Whopper".

simpspin

[90]Sep 9, 2010
    CapnCrane wrote:

calum27 wrote:
    The writers are kissing the asses of terrible things like glee and twilight like you said. It's really pathetic and annoying. The Kesha opening was disgusting and is an example. I think this season has a great chance at being the worst ever. Not one plot description sounds like the writers today could make it good. Also it is true when you say writers are scared to make fun of things these days

Well said. Granted, I don't hate Glee as much as you do but that doesn't mean the Simpsons should kiss its ass.

What does strike me as rather pathetic is that the show seems to be riding on the popularity of other "cool" TV shows. Anyone remember "Judge Me Tender"? That was only last season. Now they're basically trying to attract the Glee fans with this premiere. Two cast members from "Flight of the Conchords" are also in this premiere, but no one's paying attention to them because their show isn't as hugely popular. Meanwhile, there are whole articles with things like "Glee cast, meet the Simpsons" (which is a laugh in itself; it's not the Glee cast, it's three actors). I dread to think how they're going to promote the "Twilight" parody.

The only saving grace is that, for me at least, this episode can be nowhere near as bad as "Homer the Whopper".

Wow, the simpsons went from having pointless guest stars to pointlessly cross-promoting other shows...barf!

CapnCrane

[91]Sep 9, 2010

Precisely, and in my opinion at least, it says a lot. There was a time when the Simpsons didn't need to cross-promote other shows to gain viewers. It was the Simpsons; it gained viewers by itself. Now it seems to be relying an awful lot on pointless guest stars and crossovers.

Now, I will admit it doesn't do this all the time; "Moe Letter Blues", which was my favourite episode of season 21, didn't feature any of those things. But "Moe Letter Blues" was barely promoted, while "Judge Me Tender" had at least three promotional images. It just seems really obvious to me that these "crossovers" are an attempt to get more viewers; alienating a lot of their current fanbase in the process. Just look at this thread. Look at how many people are planning on skipping the premiere because they don't like the sound of an episode devoted to singing Glee's praises. The saddest part is, it doesn't even look like those characters are even doing that much to the plot; judging from the synopsis, they're merely "other musically-inclined campers", while the guys from "Flight of the Conchords" appear to be the ones Lisa visits in Sprooklyn. They might not even be doing that much, but it's being promoted in a way that makes it look like they are, and you can see the results.

Now, I will have to admit something else; I actually like Glee (sorry). But if I want to see characters from Glee, I'll watch that show. I don't need to see them on The Simpsons. I don't want to, either. The Simpsons is its own show and it shouldn't have to stoop so low as to leech of the popularity of another franchise just because it's popular at the moment.

calum27

[92]Sep 9, 2010
    thats true. They rely on other tv shows for their plots nowadays. The people who say the show is brilliant really get on my nerves. They don't achieve much from their praise. Looking at the show now i think it will get even worse. If the show will go on to season 25 or whatever then i just can't imagine it. It's like eveything really these days. Everything has been dummed down or turned into some singing show with a pain in the ass morale.

simpspin

[93]Sep 9, 2010
    calum27 wrote:
    thats true. They rely on other tv shows for their plots nowadays. The people who say the show is brilliant really get on my nerves. They don't achieve much from their praise. Looking at the show now i think it will get even worse. If the show will go on to season 25 or whatever then i just can't imagine it. It's like eveything really these days. Everything has been dummed down or turned into some singing show with a pain in the ass morale.

Sadly, Fox will keep the show around for 3 reasons:

1. Brand recognition.
    2. Marketablility.
    3. Freaking Money.

I'm guess that when the Simpsons Movie was being test marketed, Al Jean realized that making the show soley appealing to the mainstream public was much easier than being witty and/or clever. With the Simpsons trying to be relevant BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE, I can't even rule them out making a "Bones" crossover. Hell, there's even an upcoming episode with House as the guest star.

calum27

[94]Sep 10, 2010
    Yeah they still make fox lots of money. The show is not even a shadow of it former self now. It's much worse.

doguineta

[95]Sep 10, 2010
    simpspin wrote:
    calum27 wrote:

Sadly, Fox will keep the show around for 3 reasons:

1. Brand recognition.
    2. Marketablility.
    3. Freaking Money.

I'm guess that when the Simpsons Movie was being test marketed, Al Jean realized that making the show soley appealing to the mainstream public was much easier than being witty and/or clever. With the Simpsons trying to be relevant BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE, I can't even rule them out making a "Bones" crossover. Hell, there's even an upcoming episode with House as the guest star.

Which episode is the one with House???

simpspin

[96]Sep 10, 2010
    Hugh Laurie was announced as one of the upcoming guest stars and he'll be playing "House" on the Simpsons episode (no name of the episode was given).

doguineta

[97]Sep 11, 2010
    simpspin wrote:
    Hugh Laurie was announced as one of the upcoming guest stars and he'll be playing "House" on the Simpsons episode (no name of the episode was given).

Oh, okay then

DerangedLemur

[98]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 9

I think Wiki gave out some plot information.....

Jamesbray

[99]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 13
    Why are the first three episodes about Lisa?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_%28season_22%29#Episodes

simpspin

[100]Sep 19, 2010
    The premier's a "Glee" promotional episode, so it could be about Ms. Hoover and no one would care.