The Simpsons Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Them, Robot - Episode Discussion

Gatorsrule6

[1]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 20

Some funny parts. Homer's "Working hard/hardly working" joke ran too long and too loud. How did the rest of the town know where to find Homer to come save him? I liked Data as the voice (can't remember the actors name).

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Raccoon1459

[2]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 22
    I don't think I would want to live in a world where machines are taking over. It's a pretty scary thought.

danharr

[3]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 45

It was okay no laugh at loud moments for me and they did a lot of jumps to push the story along most of which were not funny.

thundercat2000

[4]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 17

It was okay. Does anybody think it should have been handled better on Futurama? Especially with Bender as the leader?

simpspin

[5]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 11
    This episode was bad. The run on jokes, the horrible dialog, the "convenient" town showing up to save the day when they hated Homer, Mr. Burns and the Robots and the 99% unemployment rate...really? A solid 1/5. Granted the first 8 seasons weren't 100 realistic, but at least those seasons had funny surrealism, not time wasting, BORING surrealism.

zan4

[6]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 10
    Ya they would save them . Even tho they was upset with homer doesn't mean they want him dead and seeing the robot would threaten the town next then why not it wasn't the best but wasnt the worst

simpspin

[7]Mar 22, 2012
    zan4 wrote:
    Ya they would save them . Even tho they was upset with homer doesn't mean they want him dead and seeing the robot would threaten the town next then why not it wasn't the best but wasnt the worst

That wasn't my point, it was how did they KNOW the robots were at Burns's Manor? And what happened to the Robot rule: "They can only follow the yellow line"

zan4

[8]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 10
    They override it with the new programming simple robotic plus if I remember right they ran across town am pretty sure it would raise some eye brows

simpspin

[9]Mar 23, 2012
    zan4 wrote:
    They override it with the new programming simple robotic plus if I remember right they ran across town am pretty sure it would raise some eye brows

Leaving these plot 'points' to the audience to assume what happened is bad storytelling. Not one of the side characters even acknowledged the bots were there after the plant layoffs. Even worse, the plant-bots were able to break after a simple shove, become invincible killing machines with buzzsaw hands that appeared out of nowhere and two minutes later, were defeated with corndogs and ordinary people, which gave no indication they were paying attention. Like I said before, if the audience HAS to assume what is going one because a lack of detail, that's bad.

Also, saying "it's cartoon!" won't mean anything because the first 9 seasons was a "cartoon". Bad storytelling isn't a byproduct of being animated it's a byproduct of terrible writing.

Gatorsrule6

[10]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 20

I was wondering how the rest of the town knew as well. The only thing I could think of is, Lisa and Flanders both knew Homer was being chased by the robots right? So, I guess they could've said something...but even then that's a stretch. I didn't even think about the "following the yellow line" rule...but then again, they were in attack/kill mode or whatever, and maybe that overrides things? I don't know.

I liked the "Ah! Comic-con nerds!" line when the robots were revealed. It was kind of shakey..1/5 seems low, but...maybe a 2.5/5? I don't normally grade episodes. I hated Homer asking "Working hard or hardly working" 5 times...I actually turned down the volume because it was too loud and super annoying. Twice was enough.

I liked Brent Spiner as the robot voice.

coolchris44

[11]Apr 2, 2012
    • level: 22

it was good

the robots were funny.

it was cool when the rest of the town was able to save homer when the robots went rogue.