The Simpsons

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 12, 2006 on FOX

7.9
  • Bunch of hidden gags.

6.7
    When the Army showed kids how cool it is to join, one scene had a squad land at a concert stadium, out of the helicopter, equipped with electric guitars! Cool gag! You have to go back to the 1985 GI Joe episode, Cold Slither (where the Joe team ended up forming a band & singing their theme song).

When the little helicopter chased Homer around, the enemy was watching. After the helicopter blew up in a room full of TNT, it ended in cartoon fashion. The Warner Brothers closing trademark (That's All Folks!) with the closing music of early Three Stooges shorts!
  • Bart, after seeing an exagerated recruiting film at school, enlists in the Army. Homer goes to the recruiting office and gets Bart out of his enlistment, but in turn enlists himself.

This episode's portratyal of the Army recruiters and how they lie and exagerate to get people to enlist is definitely the highlight of this episode which is why I am giving it a high rating. Having been approached by military recruiters myself, I can say the portrayal is near perfect. There is terrific dialouge throughout this episode which another contributing factor to the rating I have given. In looking at Kiefer Sutherland's character it obvious that the producers of the episode have seen Full Metal Jacket a few times. Definitely one of the funnier episodes of this season.

• terrible

2.5
    if you're a fan of overly cartoony episodes of this show, you'll love this one. Homer and friends in the army. that idea itself is somewhat interesting, but the execution of it makes me wanna puke. There's little to no laughs and the third act is really one of the worst things I have seen in this show. It was bad. The episode as a whole had maybe one or two laughs, and they weren't even really clever, just too stupid you had to laugh. Definitely a weak episode, my overall grade is a D because of the couple laughs
  • Homer joins the army.

After Bart gets out of a commitment to join the Army at 18, Homer falls prey to a couple of Army recruiters and lands himself in basic training. Homer, of course, treats this like summer camp and infuriates his hard-nosed colonel when he is unfazed by the constant hazing and humiliation. Homer is assigned as the enemy of the Armys war games, but when the war games get out of hand and Springfield becomes the battlefield, Homer and the Springfield community must join forces before the city goes up in smoke. This was a decently funny episode about the armed forces in our country. I thought it was well-written at points and then a little bland at others. All in all a solid episode.
  • Funny yet riduculous....

After getting Bart out of a commitment he made to join the Army at 18, Homer falls prey to a couple of Army recruiters and ends up in basic training. Treating it like a summer camp, Homer infuriates his sergeant by not cracking under pressure from the hazing and humiliation. Marge and Grandpa end-up trapped in the Army as well due to some questionable tactics by the recruiters when they appeal to get Homer out of basic training. The group is put in a mock military operation as terrorists so the Army can show the power and excellence of the new computer system; however, Homer and the others continue to avoid capture and eventually leave the operation to get food in Springfield where they are mistaken for real terrorists. After leading the military on a humiliating chase through town, Homer is able to take down the US Army by threatening them with the power plant.
  • Almost every single scene in the episode was funny, it will REALLY crack you up!

G.I.(Annoyed Grunt) is one of the funniest episodes of Season 18. The funniest part is the parody of "Looney Tunes," which ends with "That's all Folks!" Other funny parts include the phone tree, when Homer is avoiding push-ups, and several other scenes. I was really laughing the first time I saw it.
  • I love this episode!

The opening scene is funny, when the bullies cannot beat Bart and Milhouse up because of their manager, which is followed up by a couple of recruiters trying to recruit them. An anti-recruitment scene follows, which is hilarious! A great way to introduce the main plot.

When Homer goes off to be in the army once again, the episode is still HILARIOUS!

AFter Homer and the soldiers start playing the war games and enter Springfield, scenes play that are classics.

I love this episode, because it is funny, well-written, and takes a stand against certain issues.

This is one of the best episodes this season!
    We've been here before with the episode where Homer joins the navy, and that one was done better, but we don't have a bad repeat here. Because Homer is a gullible guy he gets conned into signing up for the army, and soon meets a colonel (an unrecognizable Keifer Sutherland) who decides that Homer, Cletus and a couple of the other local idiots would be perfect targets for war games. The Colonel, a product of American stubborness, will not acquiese in his hunt for Homer until Marge comes up with a plan that turns out to be the Colonel's Waterloo. This episode also showed the preview of the Simpsons movie which is coming out waaay too late, as this show doesn't have anywhere near the juice it used to.
  • Best of the season so far.

I've watched this one over and over since it first aired, and it keeps getting funnier. The rhythm of the dialog is perfect. The basic training scene is rapid fire lols. The Looney Tunes helicopter scene at first seemed dumb but now I love it. Lines that don't even seem like jokes are making me laugh. The facial expressions enhance everything. I strongly suggest finding a torrent or a stream of it and watching it repeatedly.
  • Indeed ... Its Ridiculously silly and Funny

This season so far has been ho-hum at best with some really horrible (read Unfunny) episodes . However the producers have redeemed themselves somewhat with this amazingly satirical episode filled with more laughs and silly remarks than marge simpson has hair . For Starters , Homer (Jay) simpson goes to an army recruitment center in order to take bart's name off the enlistment chart . But he gets himself enlisted and what follows is just too plain satirical (only expected in the simpsons ). He takes part in the army's war games and in turn the town of springfield gets invaded by "the americans " .... This episode even lays a nice tribute to the looney toones archive with a mini helicopter-homer tussle .

Just too funny for words ... Homer Jay at his best .. !!!
  • Not that original but nice however nice

Bart pre-listed in the Army and Homer goes to the Recruitment Center to talk to guys who incited his son. He is tricked and enlists in the Army. Homer is assigned to lead some enemy troops in a simulation and he makes the Army extend the simulation in the town. This is not a completely original concept but it's however good. It's pretty funny to see Homer leading a troops. The story is similar to the episode where Homer joined the Navy but it's well written nevertheless. So, it's a nice episode, not that original but well done. This is a cool one.
  • First episode in a long while where I could laugh more than once... (this episode is NOT anti-US Army; rather, it shows how the US Army are being let down by the US government)

Positives: An over-discussed topic in the media presented in a fairly sarcastic style. Issues raised are highly relevant to the present day though and raise certain concerns even for the military (e.g. problem of Army recruitment and how target setting was so desperate that Army recruiters have resorted to alter the truth).

Negatives: Not exactly an original theme. Overly politically-biased and may have affected the ratings of some. More jokes could have been packed in, e.g. when the commander / invading force (the \'blue\' team) had to respond to his XO (deputy) complaining about their ineptitude and expense of their mission, the commander could have requoted Rumsfeld: \"You make do with the army you have, not the army you want to have\". Another issue that could have been raised was the distinct lack of armor US troops faced, so something around the theme of taking apart the neighborhood\'s cars to reinforce their tanks, etc. may have enhanced the episode.

Overall: A step in the right direction and one of the best episodes in the past 10 seasons (unfortunately), but more needs to be done scriptwise so that jokes are more tightly-packed, and not too much time is spent explaining them. Politically-biased but with a moral to the episode (when was the last time that happened?). My rating of 10 is only to compensate for those who gave a rating of 1 or 1.1, because those were obviously politically-affected judgements, instead of being based on quality. If not for those ratings, I would give this episode an 8/10.
  • First episode in a few seasons where I laughed more than once... I wonder how some reviewers here could know that this was an anti-US Army episode when in fact the episode was mainly highlighting how the US government / Rumsfeld has let down the US Army.

Negatives: Not exactly an original theme. Overly politically-biased and may have affected the ratings of some. More jokes could have been packed in, e.g. when the commander / invading force (the 'blue' team) had to respond to his XO (deputy) complaining about their ineptitude and expense of their mission, the commander could have requoted Rumsfeld: "You make do with the army you have, not the army you want to have". Another issue that could have been raised was the distinct lack of armor US troops faced, so something around the theme of taking apart the neighborhood's cars to reinforce their tanks, etc. may have enhanced the episode.

• Homer joins the army with unexpected results

Admittedly this episode has a few faults, the Looney Tunes sequence going on a little too long but remained funny, just not Simpsons funny, and used a little too much political jokes but all in all was much more entertaining than Family Guy's poor attempt at satire of the army and with a much better ending.

From the beginning with the army trying to enlist schoolkids to the end with Homer trying to do the exact thing that started the whole problem in the first place, the episode is consistently funny with a solid plot and very few boring moments.
  • A lot of good jokes ruined. A series tarnished by lazy politicaly hatefull writing.

The return of Yancy Fry, was overshadowed by insulting political hate speech. Was it really neccesarry to be so demeaning towards our armed forces? I don\'t recall any of this belittling during Homers navy tour. I don\'t recall any of this insulting writing during Barts Boy Band tour. Ya gotta axe yerself what has changed? The CapnCrunch work in was cool! Frys dad was cool! I even liked the Abu Grabbe Christmas Card from Cleetus! But the constant depictions of the Army as imbeciles was insulting. I would like to quote the immortal Troy McClure (From the 138th Episode SPectacular)

\"Yes the Simpsons have come a long way, since an old drunk made humans outta his rabbit characters to pay off his gambling debts.
    Who know what adventures they\'ll have, between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?\"

Well Troy we may yet find out the answer to your question, if the writers continue to insult half of their audience!

Frankly I have watched this ep twice, and was disgusted worse the second time. I dont want to dislilke the entire series from one show. If I watch this ep many more times I may have to make an exception!
  • Was this a left over season 16 episode?

1.1
    An extremely disappointing episode, following a strong few that began the current season. The Looney Tunes parody really is painful to watch, and the Simpsons has handled this subject in the past much more effectively, so the episode is not just extremely sub-par but totally unoriginal. The plot is garbled and what could have been an interesting idea quickly turns into filler with the plot (such as it is) simply being used to get from one lame set piece to another. The episode doesn't go anywhere, has no emotional content, and doesn't work as a broad comedy either. The second half is basically one long, dull chase scene. I hope things pick up again next week. I'm counting the days to the new episodes of Futurama!
  • I had faith in this one, but it became a Season 10-16 quality episode, which means good and bad.

This has to be the weakest episode of the season so far.It has lots of jokes, but a dull story line, and some jokes were simply weak. It's solid since it had some dumb and funny moments, like when Homer was being chased by the army, but at the same time it's not that great. The storyline is the weakest part: The idea of dumb army guys against smart army guys is not what I expected, but it's weird when you think about it. The helicopter chase was mildly funny and took too long. It's not the worst episode ever, it's far from it, but not even close to being the best either. The part when Marge said about about all those other jobs Homer had in seasons 5, 6 and 9 were funnier episodes than this. Lets hope the remainder of the season can avoid episodes of this quality later on though. I still have total faith in this show, but not this episode.
  • This episode dealt with the Army trying to recruit young kids & Homer is recruited after Bart signs up for the Army and he tries to cancel out Barts contract with them. It basically just revolves around the Army trying to recruit young children.

1.3
    This was possibly one of the most unoriginal and awful Simpsons episodes that they have yet to write. I was very disappointed with the constant Army recruitment that these shows are now doing. Its fine to deal with the military but stop trying to recruit young children through these episodes. Its very annoying and I will no longer watch these shows if it continues. I have been a long time Simpsons fan, but this is ridiculous. The past two episodes have dealt with this and I would appreciate it if it would not continue. Thanks for listening.
  • The funniest in a long time...

i only saw the last half of this episode and i wouldn't even have watch that, but i knew Kiefer Sutherland was in it. and it turned out to be quite funny. it was not the funniest episode that i have ever senn, but it was a very good instalment.they plan to renew this series for it's 20th season so it will become the longest running drama series ever, but it has to surpas 20 seasons.i think family guy is funny too but i know that they won't make 20 seasons.the only comipetion that the simpsons has is Law and Order.later.
  • Homer being a goofball again

Very funny show as it is one of the best
    Of the season as Bart gets out of a commitment
    To join the army at 18 and Homer is forced to
    Join basic training as he treats this like summer camp and
    Annoys the more serious soldiers as his drill instructor is really about to have it with him
    Very funny show as Homer is such a goofball!
  • I enjoyed this episode, even though it wasn't the best.

THis was a good episode. Homer joins the army and crazy things happen. Especially when Homer announces its Chinese New Year and shoots in the air and says Gung Hay Fat Choy. Random, but funny. I didn't really like the part when the helicopter was battling Homer because of it's cartoonyness, but the Simpsons is a cartoon, so I learned to accept it. The beginning I loved, because of Milhouse doing something weird again, like falling in love with a Banana Republic mannequin. Crazy episode, good for Season 18, but not comparable to the top notch episodes.
  • A good episode but again not a great episode some funny gags keeps it going.Homer has held so many jobs already that its getting kinda repetitive.You can`t be the same that you were 10 years ago not a bad episode good in its own way.

The episode is good but kinda average because its so unoriginal i mean how many jobs did Homer have so far?More than 20 i gues and the gag is repetitive.The episode in particular was well-writen,made and all its just an average episode to me.The episode had a few great gags that kept it going ex:

Skinner:There is nothing i wouldn`t do for the army!
    Solider:How about re-engaging for the army?
    Skinner:How about you bite me?

Recap:The army comes at school and Bart signs to get in at 18 Marge disagree but Homer joins the army and thinks its some sort of fun camp.Some funny parts in that episode.

Homer gets another job big deal.Sure this is great if you never saw Homer going to get his 1000 job nothing outsanding in that episode but it kept me watching it.An 8.1 in my book a good episode
  • Active duty!

Last week, "Family Guy" has enlisted Stewie and Brain. Now this week, it's Homer's turn. He was enlist into the army only to be chased by the army into Springfiled. This episode takes a look at the War in Iraq without mentioning the war itself. The invasion of Springfield by the Army is more like the invasion of Iraq. That episode has made an anti-war statement just days after the mid-term election. The people rose up against the invaders by pouring beer into the water, making the soldiers drunk. The Simpson movie trailor came too soon. It should have been out in Feburary during the sweeps.
  • Ha ha...

I didn't see the beggining of this episode but I saw when they tried to get bart to sign up for the army. Marge didn't like the fact that he did so homer went down and got bart discharged. then he ends up joining. every one else gets sent out but homer and a few other people have to stay because of there low test scores and they end up being practise so all of the other recruits have to hunt them down and find them. They are lead by a strict Colonel. Special guest star Kiefer Sutherland. He was getting to serious so the people of springfield decide to drug there water with alcohal then after they were drunk the colonel gave up. This was a great episode Kiefer Sutherland's performance was great. I think he should consider playing more roles that have to do with the army. I don't care what anyone else says the simpsons are just as good as they ever were. later...
  • The Simpsons have lost it!

4.4
    Somewhat average episode. Not the worst one and definetly not the best one. As the new season approached its second premiere, the truth was in the air - The Simpsons have lost it.

No more mind blowingly absurd situations, no more satirical sarcasm issues. The spark has been lost. The worst part about it is, not a lot of people even notice that. God I hope they focus their laughter-power on the movie.
  • What are people talking about. Kiefer rocks.

People keep saying this was aver bad episode and I disagree. I love this episode, maybe not a lot of gags but hearing Kiefer Sutherlands voice was enjoying. The plot was great and using the wright guest star was smart. Homer didn't join the army on purpose, which I guess some Family Guy fanboy who didn't watch the just found out he was in it and guessed he joined on his own, he was tricked. The episode had its jokes which I enjoyed. I can't wait for Keifer Sutherlands season finale episode.
  • This is another episode with homer getting tempted to do something stupid. It just shows you how funny this show is. By the way, the trailer aint that bad.

Being that Keifer will be guest starring the simpsons again, it abviously means, he has some respect over the pop-cultural show. Homer joins the army inspite of his son not attending it. If you knew what marge meant when she said, 'HOMER, you've already joined the navy!', you'd understand why the show is trying to draw your attention to get you to see that the show creaters were VERY much aware that they are having homer to something stupid AGAIN. Now, keifer sutherland hid his voice, which most cartoon reviewers {entertainment weekly} enjoy. I loved homers 2 second leadership. His stupidity grew, so has his intelligence. Lisa Joins Peta, {okay..}. Skinner was funny as hell, Bart {a little stupid, not getting smarter} was hilarious when he saw that film, how can you compare war to a video game.
  • Mildly interesting, lame sarcastic issue-themed jokes, been-there done-it, try-again feel

4.7
    The Simpsons just keeps getting lamer and lamer and this episode is no exception. The previous episodes of Season 18 were adequate, but this episode was not very good. It only had a few moments where I actually laughed and then there were all those sarcastic issue-themed jokes. It seems like the perfect moment for Carlos Mencia and his "DEE-Dee-dee!" crap. The jokes were lame and it just was uninteresting. That helicopter chase went on for way longer than it should have gone on for. The female helicopter was the only funny part in that whole thing. Overall, I give this episode 4.7 out 10 stars for "not so good". Try again, writers.
  • i dont see what the fuss is all about, if you dont take it from a political point of view its hilarious. Great episode, im lovin this season

First off let me say, beginning of this episode was gold, you cant say that that wasnt classic bart and milhouse when they went to the shoe store.

now here is where everyone is going nuts just because the simpsons was bashing the army a little. Look at last weeks family guy!! I didnt see any bad reviews for that episode. I seriously dont think that the reviews are fair for this episode. It definitely doesnt deserve a 1 or 2!! Im going to give this episode a chance though. Its 18 seasons for a reason people!!! Its still enjoyable!
  • Not one of their better episodes.

4.8
    This episode actually seemed to drag. I'm a Simpsons lover myself and I guess I have come to expect a lot from each episode. The content was not very original.

I guess I expected them to be more bold about this particular topic. Maybe if they shipped Homer over to Iraq and more truths about what actually happens there would have been more entertaining.

I guess it could be that they are working on their movie and just threw this one in in a rush. Or perhaps they are going to put out some low quality episodes in hopes of making their movie more climactic?
< 1 2