The Simpsons

Gone Maggie Gone

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 15, 2009 on FOX

• It's alright but it's pretty odd if you ask me

Lisa infiltrates a convent in order to steal back Maggie who was accidentally taken in by nuns. While in the convent, Lisa uncovers a series of cryptic clues leading to a hidden jewel in Springfield. With help from resident history buffs Principal Skinner and Comic Book Guy, Lisa sets off to find the coveted prize. But Springfield's Freemasons are also hot on the trail of the jewel, and Lisa must race against them to find the jewel and rescue Maggie. I thought that this was a good episode of "The Simpsons". The storyline was... eh... entertaining. The main storyline doesn't catch your attention in the beginning but then it does catch your attention when Lisa tries to solve those clues to find Maggie and then it just loses your attention to the end.... not a bad storyline for the most part though. I did enjoy how Skinners and Comic Book Guy were on the search for the jewel as well. It's also very cool yet odd that Maggie is literally the jewel and brings peace to the world but I just don't like how the nuns worship Maggie and want to keep her just because of her being the jewel. I actually thought Lisa was the jewel at first but then it was quickly explained that Maggie was the jewel then I was like "oh okay". The episode also can be funny too but the most funniest part in this episode would probably have to be Homer using his arm to be Maggie and use his finger as Maggie's mouth, it was a little weird but hilarious moment. Also, good to see that Marge found Maggie and takes her home and it was very cute when Maggie took the bandage wrapped around Marge's eyes and smiles at here. I didn't really like the very ending of the episode with Bart bringing hell to the world instead of peace but his line "I am so staying past curfew" was kinda funny. Overall, a good/alright episode of "The Simpsons"... it was definitely not a bad episode but it's just odd and not really something I would expect. 7/10
  • REALLY Overrated

OK, when this originally aired, it was my favorite of the 20th season, it was great, it was the best storyline. Maybe it still is, but wow, I notice a lot of flaws. For one thing, yea we know Lisa is smart, but she was able to figure out some of those clues in literally a second. This bothers me. I know she is smart, but to be able to figure out puzzles and stuff like that so quickly? Feels lazy, if this was ab hour it would be better IMO. Same thing about Marge just so happening to show up at the end. Feels lazy. Overall Grade- C+/B-
  • Wolves are taking all our women

"Wolves are taking all our women"
    The best line i've heard in a loooong long time. Where did it come from? Who was deranged enough to come up with this awesome line?
    I want to shake the hand of the writer who thought of this line. All day long I find reasons to say: "Wolves are taking all our women"
  • It wasn't that great.

Why do people like this episode? I think it was another bland season 21 episode. It was just only about Lisa exploring a church to find Maggie and there wasn't any humor. The only parts that were funny were when Marge's eyes got burned, that Tex Avery cartoon in the hospital, and when the men were kissing each other.But (sigh) every thing else can put me to sleep. This episode makes some mediocre King of The Hill episodes look cool (no offense fans), even my father was disappointed with this episode. Once again, another bland season 21 episode that had only a few laughs. Come on Simpson creators (Matt Groening) you can do better than this!

Grade=D
  • This is about Marge being temporarily blinded by an eclipse and Homer losing Maggie to nuns.

This episode wasn't as funny as most episodes but was still pretty funny. This episode was more watching and suspense that funny. It reminded me of the Da Vinci Code which is pardonies. I think this episode is very clever how it goes from a church, to Homer's crossing the river problem, to the Springfield Sign, to a bell tower. I enjoyed the part where Mr. Burns tries to shoot Skinner and Lisa at the Springfield sign. I also enjoyed Bart ruling the church as the devil and how the church lights up when Maggie sits down which surprises me since she's shot people before. I give an overall 9.6.
  • An episode that isn't one for the record books but it could be funny at times.

Lisa infiltrates a convent in order to steal back Maggie who was accidentally taken in by nuns. While in the convent, Lisa uncovers a series of cryptic clues leading to a hidden jewel in Springfield. With help from resident history buffs Principal Skinner and Comic Book Guy, Lisa sets off to find the coveted prize. But Springfield's Freemasons are also hot on the trail of the jewel, and Lisa must race against them to find the jewel and rescue Maggie. Had its moment but in the end this episode wasn't nothing special, and I doubt many people will like it. Give it a watch if you want.
  • Lisa looks for a lost Maggie by solving a countless series of puzzles.

One of my most favorite episodes of the Simpsons ever. I love watching what Lisa is going through in this episode. The episode's plot may be taken from movies like "The Davinchi Code" or "National Treasure", but the used it very well.

Lisa solving all those puzzles so quickly because she's so smart, the fact that she thought of how to solve them almost instantly was alittle bit lacking but all the puzzles were still fun. It gave us the chance to solve them for ourselves, I like that.

My favorite part was when they kind of did a play on the classic puzzle with the cyote, chicken, and sack of corn.
  • Great!

This was such a funny and sweet episode. I know a lot of people must think it was too wacky and unrealistic, but this one is awesome. The puzzles, the jokes and the plot work perfectly and the end is probably one of the best endings ever. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd nominee this one for the emmys.

The only thing that is not quite right with this episode is the time. This one would have been even better as a one hour long episode. I'm still amazed by it though. It's funny how they can deliver something so good after 20 years.
  • Good

Lisa infiltrates a convent in order to steal back Maggie who was accidentally taken in by nuns. While in the convent, Lisa uncovers a series of cryptic clues leading to a hidden jewel in Springfield. With help from resident history buffs Principal Skinner and Comic Book Guy, Lisa sets off to find the coveted prize. But Springfield's Freemasons are also hot on the trail of the jewel, and Lisa must race against them to find the jewel and rescue Maggie. This episode was better than I thought it would be and actually was pretty funny. Especially when Homers arm pretends to be Maggie.
  • Maggie is taken by nuns after Homer leaves her at the door of a convent. In an attempt to get her back Lisa disquises herself as a nun and infiltrates the convent. She soon finds a series of clues which lead to a priceless jewel.

I agree with another review of this episode which said this is the best episode of the season. Terrific sight gags and very well written dialouge make that so. There are many highlights in this episode. From the family's attempts to fool a temporarily blinded Marge into believing Maggie and Lisa are home to the very funny search for the Jewel of Springfield, you will be laughing quite frequently while watching this episode. Once again the show's terrific ability at parody is present here with a very funny back story of the Jewel. Great parody of "The Da Vinci Code."
  • A hodge-podge mish-mash of ineffective parody and dry character gags.

Gone Maggie Gone is a prime example of the decline of one of America's greatest and long lasting television shows. After a decent start to the year with four amusing episodes, the series again sinks low and delivers a script that feels as disjointed and cut-and-pasted as the characters that are spliced within its frail duct-taped plot. Most notable is the inconsistency to the characters' mannerisms and utter disregard to established traits. Marge in particular comes across even more irksomely coy than usual, and with Lisa taking centre stage (again) within a mystery story that aims to parody films such as The Da Vinci Code and Gone Baby Gone, there isn't much room for genuine laughs or meaningful character development.

The result is a tepid, mostly unremarkable adventure that plods along lame gag after lame plot device until the episode comes to a bumbling conclusion that echoes the show's former ability to draw emotion from the viewer-- and yet it only feels mawkishly reminiscent of such distant times. Not only is it an example of The Simpsons' decline, but also exists as a stark reminder of the decline of TV in general.
  • Homer loses Maggie.

This episode was much better than the other ones and reminds of The Simpsons i used to know and love. Though i hardly laughed captivated by the imagery and plot. The clues Lisa had to crack and Mr. Skinner and Comic Book Guy suddenly coming in, yeah. Well the answer the clue might/might not surprise you but it will be great watching it. The simpsons i think is coiming back and leaving its rut of medocrity, and i rather watch this than Family Guy, the writers have been doing this for years and they can still keep it fresh. Well That's it gotta fly!
  • Great Episode. Best episode this season.

This episode was great. It reminded me of the Sunshine for a Spotless Mind Episode in Season 19. It was a great puzzle and it was funny watching Lisa getting things in the puzzle wrong. It was great to see Homer actually solve a puzzle.

The style of the episode felt much like the Simpsons Movie butt I'm not sure if that's because it felt very cinematic or if it is the HD.

I think the only people that wont like this episode are probably Catholics, but hey I'm Catholic and I found this absolutely funny. I was strange though not to see Ned in this ep, but I guess he is not Catholic. 10/10