The Simpsons

Homer at the Bat

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 20, 1992 on FOX

• An almost perfect episode that I feel started the Simpsons Golden Age.

This episode is among the series best. I feel this episode is the beginning of the Simpsons Golden Age. It was smart, funny, and incredibly entertaining to watch! And, the guest voiced did an incredible job. Some of the best jokes in it include Mr. Burns showing the team how to bunt, the house fire, Homer scratching himself on Marge's commentary, and the many separate misfortunes that happened to Mr. Burns' ringers. Oh, and how could one forget Homer's game winning 'hit'? Homer at the Bat is one of John Swartzwelder's best and one of series best. This episode should be watched by fans and critics alike!
  • I...have never.... laughed...SO HARD!

"Homer At The Bat" features the power plant having a softball game. In order to increase the chances of winning, Mr. Burns hires 9 major league baseball players to be on his team.

This episode is probably, in my opinion, one of the funniest episodes of "The Simpsons" EVER. I was laughing all the way through, and by the end of the episode I needed to go to the hospital to get some new ribs. I love this episode, if only they could make more like this...
  • Doesn't get better than this

Homer and his nuclear plant buddies are enjoying a company baseball season until his power-hungry boss enlists professional ringers to beat a rival boss in the final match. Although this episode is only really known as being "the one where ten pro baseball players guest star", this episode is often seen and labelled (very correctly) as one of the best of the series.

Baseball fan John Swartzwelder pens yet another terrific script that is arranged and paced just right, given a suitably surreal tone and is jam - packed with laughs. He is the only writer on the show who I would trust with writing lines for these athletes, had any of the smart alecky other writers had attempted it, it would've resulted in a significant ass-kicking. The only red flag of the episode would be that if one is not a baseball fan then many of the sports in-jokes and references would fly over their heads. Also while the ending is happy, in a way it isn't really a fair one; Mr. Burns acheives victory through cheating and enlisting professional baseball players and grudgingly letting the others join in when his ringers were unavailable. Most movies and tv shows would teach the kiddies that such people are punished. No matter how much they are paid, how they are portrayed, the lines they're given etc. Sports stars on an animated show will just never sound into it and this episode is a relevant example. Not only is a lack of enthusiasm blatant but the voices sound very much like they were recorded seperately and thrown in and they never really gel with the rest of the dialogue. One masterful example of sound editing is when various characters are under hypnosis and had to speak at the same time and considering the individual voices were recorded in different places and months apart and still worked is a credit to whoever is in that thankless job.

The always interesting Mr. Burns is given a very large role in this episode and for once he is not seen as a typical evil, bitter, rich old man, his coaching duties see him become hilariously eccentric and a superb vocal performance from Harry Shearer sees Mr. Burns as the most "excellent" of the episode. (I still can't believe Shearer is the only main voice actor who has never won an Emmy).

The episode doesn't just present animated perfection from start to finish, the closing credits feature a great musical number that adds to the monumentality that is this episode and was deserving of a "Music and Lyrics" Emmy nomination.

Think of The Simpsons as the American economy, this episode was the epitome of the golden era where the quality prosperity was booming and from seasons 2 - 15 the episodes were superb. Too bad this period comes to an end after season 15 when the quality collapsed and the Simpsons Depression began and as of 2009 it doesn't look like a recovery is in sight.
  • Homer joins the company softball team and becomes a success. Mr. Burns makes a million dollar bet and recruits major leaguers to help him win. The championship game comes down to Homer's last at bat.

I think I speak for all of you when I say that this episode was just flawless. It is surely a series classic and one of the best episodes ever made hands down. There are so many funny moments like when Homer is choking, scratching himself, locked outside in the rainstorm, and all of the misfortunes that plague Mr. Bruns's major leaguers. Give this episode a watch and you wont be disappointed. It has some great gags and jokes. IMO it is porbably the best episode of this season, and surely you will not be disappointed if you watch this episode.
  • It's basically self-explanatory, Homer at the Bat that's all.

NOT!!! This is one of my top 20 episodes (I forget which one it is). They got everything dead-on in this episode, 9 Guest Stars, Homer playing sports, one Million dollars. How in the third act, all of the superstars, excep Daryl Strawberry couldn't make the game. This is one of the episodes that is a great example of how great The Simpsons were in their earlier years.
  • Perfect

The Springfield Nuclear Power Plant's softball team goes on a season long winning streak thanks to Homer's "Wunderbat." But with the pennant and a $1 million bet on the line Mr. Burns brings in 9 ringers from the professional baseball ranks and a disappointed Homer has to sit the bench.

10 out of 10

• Talkin' Softball

Homer gets him and his friends to sign up for the Power Plant Softball Team, and they are unbeatable. But soon Burns makes a bet with Shelbyville Plant Owner, and the loser owes the winner $1 million. So of course Burns decides to cheat, getting real super baseball players to play for the team. But different fates befall all of them, and now Burns needs to use the regular players, except for Homer, because his player is still there. But before the last pitch Homer gets to bat. In the end Homer technically wins.

A classic episode from a classic season
  • Truley one of the best in the whole series!!!!!!

It is softball season in Springfield and many of the workers at Springfield Nuclear Power Plant are reluctant to sign up for the Power Plant team due to their previous unsuccessful year. Homer reveals that he has a secret weapon, a homemade bat named "Wonder Bat" and his co-workers eagerly join the team. Thanks in large part to Homer, the team goes through its season undefeated and earns the right to play in the championship game against the Shelbyville Nuclear Power Plant.

Mr. Burns makes a million dollar bet with Aristotle Amadopoulos, owner of the Shelbyville plant, that his team will win. To secure victory in the game, Mr. Burns decides to hire major league stars and assembles a team that includes Honus Wagner, Cap Anson, Mordecai Brown, and a right fielder who has been dead for 130 years. Smithers informs Mr. Burns that the players he picked are all dead and thus Mr. Burns orders Smithers to find some current superstar players. He hires nine Major League Baseball players - Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs, Ken Griffey Jr., Steve Sax, Ozzie Smith, José Canseco, Don Mattingly, Darryl Strawberry and Mike Scioscia - and gives them token jobs at the plant so that they can play on the team, much to the dismay of the plant workers who got the team to the championship game in the first place.

However, before the game can be played, eight of the nine players are involved in unrelated incidents: Roger Clemens acts like a chicken due to a bad hypontist; Wade Boggs is knocked unconscious by Barney; Ken Griffey Jr. overdoses on a nerve tonic, resulting in an extreme case of Gigantism; Steve Sax is arrested for all of New York's unsolved murders; Ozzie Smith disappears in the "Springfield mystery spot"; José Canseco misses the game while rescuing a woman from a fire; Don Mattingly is kicked off the team due to his "sideburns"; and Mike Scioscia is hospitalized due to radiation poisoning contracted from working at the Plant. Darryl Strawberry is the only star who can play and Mr. Burns is forced to use eight of his actual employees, excepting only Homer who remains on the bench because Strawberry plays his position. During the game Strawberry hits nine home runs, but Shelbyville is able to counter the star right fielder's offensive prowess. With the score tied and bases loaded with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, Burns elects to field a right-handed hitter against a left-handed pitcher and pinch hits Homer for Strawberry. The very first pitch hits Homer in the head, rendering him unconscious, but forcing in the winning run. Homer, still unconscious, is paraded as a hero.
  • This episode was about Homer joining the nuclear softball team and how Burns bet Aristolis 1 million doolars at the game. Burns hires better players, and dumps the old ones, including Homer

Best.Episode.Ever! Not only is this the best episode of the Simpsons, it is tv gold. From the starting point of the episode to when Homer gets hit by the ball, this is pure classic. There are a tremendous amount of jokes, spooks, and allusions in this episode (like when ozzie is falling down the tunnel) This is what should be defined as the best episode. To give anything under a 10 to this episode would be an outrage. Any simpsons fan would watch this episode first, before anything else. My favourite part of the episode is when one of the softball playershelps the lady and rescues things from her flaming house..... Now that was comedic goldddd!!!!!
  • One of my favorite.

I loved this ep. Its definately one of my favs. Mr. Burns has a power plant baseball team and he gets a bunch of Major leaguers on the team such as Ozzie Smith a real good short stop for the best team in the world. Roger Clemens,Ken Griffy Jr,Wade Boggs,Darryl Strawberry. Then things start to go wrong. Ozzie falls into this one thing and Clemens starts thinking hes a chicken. A funny part is when Mr. Burns tell Strawberry to hit a home run and hes like OK and hits one. But Homer is on the bench and is upset. But then Mr. Burns uses him as a pinch hitter and Homer gets beamed and they win. 10/10
  • For me, will go down as one the most hillarious Simpsons episodes ever.

This show is just flat out, hands down hillarious. You just have to see it. The funniest part about it is how the celebrities are all taken out of the game one by one by the strangest ways possible. When I think of classic episodes in the Simpsons history, I can only think of this episode and "Homer's Enemy" If you are a fan of the Simpsons and, for some reason, have not seen this episode, make it your number one priority to see from now on. You will not be disappointed!
  • So many baseball stars

This is a really fantastic episode. There is a big baseball game between Springfield and Shelbyville powerplants and of course Mr Burns will do anything to win.

Despite that that Homer and his wonder bat are in great form Burns calls in a few ringers. Actually 9 so enough for a whole team. Darrell Strawberry takes Homers spot on the team and even when the rest of the team are absent for a variety of reasons Homer still can't play.

In the end Burns bvrings him win and Homer wins the game in the most unlikely of ways.

The celebrity presence and storyline are what make this episode so good.
  • Excellent, baseball and Homer, are fantastic ...

Mi episodio favorito es Homero al Bat, ya que el final es fantástico y por supuesto, los personajes como Smith, Sax, Boos, etc, son excelentes. Asi mismo el desarrollo del capítulo es muy bueno desde que el Señor Burns, trata de hacer tramap contratando a los mejores jugadores, y Homero es mi favorito.
  • Well Mr Burns had done it The power plant had won it with roger-clemmings clucking all the while mike-sciosa's tragic illness made us smile while wade-boggs lay unconscious on the barroom tile we're talkin'softball

this episode is one of my favourites where mr burns hires 9 famous baseballers so he can win a million dollar bet. the fact that all players but strawberry had some misfortune happen to them and the mystery of what mr burns thought sideburns were were both great gags aswell as the final song and homer's magic bat and everyone's imagination of what homer's secret weapon was (especially lenny's). this episode had me laughing non-stop the first time I saw it and a few times after that. burns' baseball advice made no sense at all which also added to the comedic value of the episode and homer passing out when the ball hits him in the head was one of the unexpected things you find when you watch the simpsons. this episode is definitely in my top ten favourites.
  • Best episode in this season!

I'm usually not a fan of guest stars appearing on the show as themselves but this was an exception. This episode did not let me down in terms of jokes and plot development. Most of the humor was in the form of great writing, something that new sitcoms seem to lack. The third act was very random and had the best scenes in it. I liked the scene where Steve Sax was arrested and then accused for all the murders in New York City. The thrid act was so random because the baseball players all succomb to very unusual injuries. Homer barely wins the game for the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant when the ball strikes his head and then the game ends. This episode is a must-see for any Simpsons-fan.
  • EPIC!

Mr. Burns makes a bet with an arch-nemesis that his power plant would win the league soft ball game worth a ton of cash. Burns, in order to ensure victory, hires a group of major leaguers to the plant so they can participate in the softball game, replacing the legit team. However, every player has a mishap except Darryl Strawberry. Homer pinch hits for Darryl Strawberry with the game tied and bases loaded, and gets hit by the pitch, winning the game.

Homer at the Bat is a very entertaining episode. It's funny, very well written, and is a must watch for baseball fans. Absolutely classic.
  • Homer joins the company softball team.

A sign up appears on the bulletin board of the nuclear power plant. It is for the company softball team. Lenny and Carl are reluctant to join because of the past seasons. Homer, however, sign up. At a game, Homer brings out a bat that he made from a tree struck by lightning. It proves to be a lucky bat. However, Burns chooses Major League players for his team in a match against another power plant owner's team. The game proves to be a huge match with Homer winning on a fluke. I like the episode because of all the guest stars and how they fit in the episode so well.
  • Mr. Burns bets $1 mil. that his softball team will be Shelbyville's.

It's the first game of the season, and the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant softball team trails by three runs in the ninth inning. Bases are loaded. Homer steps up to bat and hits a home run with his homemade bat. The team remains undefeted and they are going up agains Shelbyville for the championship. Mr. Burns bets Shelbyville's owner, Ari Amadopolis, a million dollars that his team will win. To help his bet, Mr. Burns hires Major Leaguers Jose Canseco, Don Mattingly, Ken Griffey Jr., Ozzie Smith, Steve Sax, Darryl Strawberry, Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs, and Mike Scioscia to work at the plant and play on the team. The day before the game however, all but Strawberry are injured and Mr. Burns has to use real workers. Only Homer is kept on the bench. With the score tied and the bases are loaded in the ninth inning, Mr. Burns sends in Homer to pinch-hit for Strawberry, preferring a right-hander to bat against the left-handed pitcher. The first pitch hits Homer and knocks him out forcing in the winning run. Still knocked out, Homer is paraded around the field as a hero.
  • funniest episode of the season

friggen hilarious episode. absolutely great. my friend and i watch this episode like 50 times a year. this episode should be the standard for all comedy shows on TV. No wonder the Simpsons is the most sucessful show on TV. i love this show.

i have seen every episode of the first 5 seasons and over 200 total and this one is on my top ten list of best simpsons episodes. trust me. you should watch this episode if you haven't already. i know i am being a little bit repeatitive but this episode is amazingly great.

Watch it. trust me.
  • Almost Baseball Legends

This is another one of the episodes I really love, it's not everyday you actually have real life baseball stars guest voice. This episode is one of the funnest sports comidies I've seen since "Slap Shot", "Shalin Soccer", and "Dodgeball". It's a slight parody on a lot of the sports films you seen and some of the cleches they have are in this episode.

Even though Homer is the main protagonist in this episode it really is Burns and the players that steel the show. Like in most sports movies there is always a coach that is inspiring and has great leadership skills that takes the team to victory, Burns is unfortunately not that guy he does take the team to victory but not on fair terms. I even liked that quote which was just hilarous, "I would tell you some inspiring speach at this moment but I don't know any so think of every movie that has one."

The baseball star players themselves are just hilarous as well, their playing contrary to who they are in real life by playing mere characures of themselves. As we see most of them are self centered, ego centric, power tripping morons. From the put downs they give Homer it really made me feel bad for Homer because he really isn't a bad baseball player, and just made me route for him more to win; Homer like in most sports films is the classic underdog hero that comes though in the end.

I love what happens to each of the baseball players that don't make it to the game, it's as if the gods of Baseball are punishing/mocking Mr. Burns and the players for their egotism and unfair game. A couple of favorate consequences of my are seeing Smith fall down into the "Twilight Zone" portal and Biggs get punched by Barney from some debate on who was the best prime minister, it just cracked me up seeing Barney go into rage everytime his opinion was chalanged.

And of course the ending was great, not just winning the game in the most unorthadox and daftest way ever but that photo at the end and the song which was a parody of another song and it was sung by the same singer was chearful and a little funny.
  • Just A Bunch of Blind Funny Humor

So Many knock offs but it is great the beginning he takes a piece of aluminum and goes under the giant tree which gets struck by lightning he makes a bat. Anyway the power plant gets in a big game and Mr. Burns hires profesinal ballplayers.

Roger Clemens: Ends up like a chicken
    Mike Scocia: Barley makes it through the night
    Wade Boggs: Layin knocked out on Moe's floor
    Don Mattingly:
    Jose Canseco: Using is doped up body pullin stuff outta a burnin house.
    Ken Griffey Jr.: Swells Up Like A Baloon
    Steve Sax: Facin dozens of life sentences
    Ozzie Smith: Still Falling
    Darell Strawberry: Got To Play

Any way they play & they beat the team after Homer is flattened on Home Plate...Love the song at the end
  • Funny

This episode deals with the annual power plant softball game. Homer is a star in the league with his home made baseball bat, called "wunderbat." Once Mr. Burn's team reaches the championship game, he realizes that he wants a team with major league talent so it will be impossible for him to lose the game. He recruits the likes of Ken Griffey Jr., Roger Clemens, Ozzie Smith, Steve Sax and Don Mattingly. All of the players come down with very odd ailments that keep them from playing, Ozzie Smith's being my favorite. This is a great episode that I like because it deals with baseball
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the simpsons there is a tryout sheet on the wall of the office in the plant homer signs up with lenny and carl and they go to tryouts homer and lenny and carl make the team. and homer goes home and makes a home made bat. and he starts cracking out home runs left and right and it leading the team to victory . thing is mr burns goes and makes a 1 million dollar bet and he deiceds to bring in ringers hirs the most domanite players in baseball at the time and homer and the rest of the players are on the bench and the ringures all have problems and so the ringures cant really make it. this was a good ep