The Simpsons

Homer Goes to College

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 14, 1993 on FOX

• College Man

We learn that Homer never finished college, or even went to college for that matter. So he goes and has to pass so he can keep his job at the Power Plant. He meets three nerds named Gary, Doug and Benjamin, but they are such nerds Homer tries to get them to change. But he inadvertently gets them kicked out of college. Now he must try to pass his class and get his new "friends" back into college. In the end Homer fails so he needs to retake the class.

A very hilarious episode with a very interesting plot. Perfect
  • Homer goes to College in this classic episode

In this episode, a suprise worker evaluation test is held at the Power Plant, and Homer fails it. This was hilarious as the replica work station manages to blow up even though there was no Nuclear material in it. He is then forced to go back to College in order to keep his job. He goes to Springfield University and takes Nuclear Physics 101. This was also hilarious because of this scene:

Teacher: "Hello students, I see we have many new students, but as the old saying goes out with the old in with the nucleus"

(everyone laughs except Homer)

(Teacher drops papers; Homer laughs so hard, but he's the only one)

This scene along with the scene where he puts his GED on fire make for a classic episode. Overall, one of my favorites and one well worth watching. 10/10 A+
  • Homer in College.

After failing a test for The Power Plant, homer must go back to college. He watches The School of Hard Knockers to prepare, and he sees how mean the dean is portrayed in the show. Homer therefore hates the dean at college, even though he is extremely nice.

Anyways, during a test, homer runs outside and chases some squirrels. The dean sends him to a tutor. Benjamin, Doug and gary, three nerds. Homer soon becomes friends with them, and pulls many pranks with them. Like stealing Springfield A and M's pig mascot, and running over the dean. The dean forgives him, but Homer goes back to coleege.

Overall Grade:A/95%
  • this is a great ep

in this ep of the simpsons homer must go to college due to the fact he is underqualied for his postion and he tries to turn to his colective experince and he gets into a rowdy animal house and nearly ruins the life of his kind and he relies to get through it from three nerds that can help him pass. homer gets to keep his job and he passes. this was a good ep i thought and it had some funny moments. and that is why i gave the show what i gave it a 8.5 and i think this was a good start to season 5 with this ep and the eps before it in season 5
  • Homer goes to college.

When the Nuclear Regulatory Commission makes a surprise inspection of the power plant, Homer accidentally causes a meltdown during a simulation van test. The NRC discover Homer did not attend college, which is needed for the job he is in. Burns gets him accepted into Springfield University. The Physics professor gets Homer partnered up with three young nerds, Benjamin, Doug, and Gary. Homer is the one teaching them lessons, on how to be cool. They organise a prank to kidnap the pig from the Springfield A&M. The nerds are caught and entirely blamed. Dean Peterson expells the nerds. Feeling guilty, Homer tries to get the nerds readmitted. Homer accidentaly runs Dean over in his car. Homer tells Dean the pig prank was his idea and the nerds return to school. Homer flunks his final exam but the nerds change his grade with a computer. This was a wonderfully funny episode. I thought it was hilarious. A must see! Evern tho I dont feel its my favorite episode ever, I feel its a great episode.
  • Homer has to go to college if he wants to keep his job at the nuclear plant.

I liked this episode a lot. Had some very good and funny moments in it. However, I thought the story was a bit haphazard. There were about three different stories in this episode. Homer being tutored by the nerds, the nerds living with Homer and the plot to steal the pig mascot. Putting all of these together made a bit of a convoluted story. However, the few funny parts in this were hilarious.I especially liked how Homer thought that his Dean was out to get him, when the Dean was just an ordinary guy with no grudge. A very good Homer episode with clever one-liners and chock full of allusions.
  • meh

7.6
    After learning that Homer is seriously underqualified for his own job, Mr. Burns enrolls him at Springfield University. While there, he befriends three nerds and accidentally gets them expelled.

Al right, first off.. it's not exactly my favoirte episode

actually it's my least favorite season 5 episode. I can't really compare to other classics of season 5

It wasn't really funny, I mean the storyline

The funiest part is when homer causes the meltdown in the simulation, that was funny.

I want the box!

Anyway as I said not very excellent, So I will give the episode "Homer goes to college" A ratin g of 7.6
  • Isn't this the way college really is?!

Awesome episode. So many funny parts, but my favorite has to be when Homer first sees the 3 nerds and starts teasing them with chants of "nerds! nerds!" When Marge reprimands him, he goes into a common mode where he explains things to people as if they were two. "Marge, in college there are two types of people-nerds and jocks. As a jock, it's my "responsibility" (!) to make fun of nerds." Priceless. Umm...apparently my review needs to be longer, so I will leave you with this great chant- "I am so smart, S-M-R-T, I mean, S-M-A-R-T!" the end !
  • Amazing

When it is revealed that Homer is grossly unqualified to be a safety inspector at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant, he goes to Springfield University to study nuclear physics. While there, Homer befriends a group of nerds and encourages them to steal a rival school's mascot pig. The prank backfires, getting the nerds expelled. In attempt to get them reinstated, Homer devises another brilliant prank. This one lands their dean in traction, but when Homer comes clean about the first prank, the nerds are once again allowed back on campus. And it's just in time, too, since finals are coming up. After a marathon study session, Homer still flunks nuclear physics, but his new friends hack into the school computer and change his grade to an "A.".
  • Go Simpsons!

Another great installment. Loved it. Homer going back to college was such a great episode, and a great episode idea. I have the Season 5 boxset, and I've watched this episode over 200 times! I laugh so hard when Homer calls the dean and says, "You are stupid" or something and then the dean looks out the window and see's Homer on a payphone and says, "Homer, is that you?" then Homer screams and runs away! That was really funny! So so funny! I couldn't have made this episode better! Watch it! HIghly reccomended with the rest of Season 5! Thanks for reading my review!
  • One of my favorite episodes EVER from the Simpsons. I always stop and watch this episode when it reruns.

This episode is so funny and great. It reminds me of when the Simpson's was at it's best. Homer melts down a nuclear simulator. Mr. Burns bribes the Mayor and has a mysterious box. "The box, the box!!" Then Mr. Burns tries to use his trap door but the desk has been moved. Homer gets a surprise visit from Mr. Burns and freaks out with a scream the way we all should if our boss showed up at the door. Anyhoo, Homer is on his way to college. :) Homer watches a cheesy 80's college movie for research on college campus life. :) Mr. Burns has a chair at Springfield University....a chair fit for an emperor or Satan with a dog at his side. I am so Smart...S-M-R-T(classic) He gets Homer into college and look who it is...it's Conan O'brien and two other nerds at school. Homer at college is a disaster of course. :)"In there guys" "Thanks Homer". This episode also has the classic, curly-straight, curly-straight. Homer is playing with the pigs tail and then gets bitten. Gotta love this eppy. The other classic moment is when the nerds are at the Simpson home. Bart and Lisa are watching Itchy & Scratchy and Itchy is finally going to lose to Scratchy. Just image watching Tom & Jerry all your life and finally seeing an episode when Tom wins and gets Jerry...then all of a sudden the TV is unplugged and by Conan O'brien....AAAAHHHHHH!!!!, PLUG IT IN, PLUG IT IN....THE TV, THE TV....and Scratchy Show....Wow!!! They'll never let us show that again....not in a million years!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • I am so smart! I am so smart! I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T, I mean S-M-A-R-T.

Honestly Conan O' Brien must have been taking genius pills while writing this episode. Homer going to college, slacking off, and hating the Dean, a la Animal House. Homer should have had more adventures in college, and maybe even go to a few keggers. But it was that crusty old Dean's fault.
  • After working at a nuclear power plant for ten years, it's discovered Homer is incompetant and must go to college and pass Nuclear Physics 101.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission shows up at the power plant to test worker competence. Although Smithers attempts to hide Homer and a couple of other idiot workers, Homer manages to get stung by a bee and emerges in front of the commission workers. Homer is put in a van containing an exact replica of his workstation. He's given a problem to solve but manages to cause a meltdown even though there was no nuclear material in the simulator.

Homer is sent to college to pass Nuclear Physics 101, but his only knowledge of how college works is based on <i>Animal House</i> style movies. He immediately begin slacking and trying to pull pranks on the Dean. Even though the Dean is actually a very nice and laid-back guy, Homer is convinced he's a jerk because that's how the Deans are in the movies he's seen.

After befriending some nerds, they attempt to tutor Homer. Homer would rather pull a prank, which he does, and accidentally gets his new nerd friends expelled. Homer devises another scheme in order to make the nerds look like heroes, but they botch it and the Dean ends up in traction. Luckily for everyone, the Dean, being the cool guy he is, forgives all and allows everyone to return to school.

The nerds help Homer cram for his final exam, but he gets and F anyway. They then use a computer to give Homer and A+, but Marge makes Homer retake the class in order to be a good example to the kids.
  • Conans best

Anyone who knows me knows I am a big Conan fan. Being a huge fan of him didnt influence the rating at all. The episode was incredibly well written making fun of Burnsies wimpiness, nerds, Homers stupidity and college. The nerds are great characters and I want to see them again. Finaly the imortal song "I am so smart I am so s-m-a-r-t smrt I mean s-m-a-r-t".
  • One of the best episodes

In this great but incredibally silly episode Homer has to go to college to take a coarse on nuclear physics because of failing standard tests set by the nuclear safty commission, Homer expecting to to be like those movies from the 80's where they are all party animals who stick it to a bitter dean only to find the dean to be bonevelent and the sudents to be very reserved but Homer choice to blame the dean anyway....to further Homer's disapointment he finds out his roommates are nerds...after learning to get along with the nerds Homer trys to ingage in some college pranks like in the movies which get both him and the nerds kicked out.

This was one of the funnest episodes and is a laugh a second...if the episode has a flaw it's that it's abit too silly but that works well with the whole college theme.
  • Homer goes to college!

Homer as a college student was really hilarious to watch.
    The dean is a nice guy, but Homer is used to the stereotype that all Dean's real hard a**es.
    Homer considers himself a jock and hates nerds so when he has to share a dorm with a bunch of them, he tries but to make them to do cool things.
    A memorable episode!
  • homer + college = disaster

this is a great episode, with one of the most memorable scenes in simpson history:
    homer: woohoo! i'm a college man! i won't need my high school diploma anymore! (sets it on fire)
    homer (while house is burning down): i am so smart, i am so smart, s-m-r-t, i mean s-m-a-r-t.

the rest of the episode was hilarious too, with the pig prank, the dean "prank call" ("hello, dean. you are a stupid head") and the itchy and scratchy episode that bart's purpose in life was to watch getting ruined by the nerds. this is a well written series classic of the simpsons.
FOX