The Simpsons

Homer's Odyssey

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 21, 1990 on FOX

7.7
  • Lame episode

Of all the season 1 episodes, this ranks as one of the worst simpsons episodes right next to Saddlesore Galatica.

Homer loses his job, and decides to waste his life, but goes political afterwards to complain about safety. Nothing else pretty much happens. That and Smithers wasn't colored correctly.

This is one of the worst episodes of the show. But it's still much more tolerable than newer Family Guy or Simpsons episodes.
  • Lame episode

• Boring episode. that's coming from a massive SImpsons fan

5.5
    As Homer is fired, he tries to find the meaning of his life. The first 5 minutes or so of this episode was good but as soon as Homer got fired, things went downhill. And I mean it. It became dull and felt far too emotional. This episode probably was the worst from Season 1.
  • A little too emotional.

The episode begins in front of Springfield Elementary, as Mrs. Krabappel rounds up her class, including Bart, and prepares them for a field trip to the nuclear power plant. Otto, the bus driver, pulls up to the curb, and Bart chats with him outside of the bus, as the other kids find their seats. Mrs. Krabappel yells at Bart to get on the bus. When he scurries to find a seat, he is bummed to see the only one left is right next to Wendell, who is always queasy and pukes on every bus ride. As Otto takes the long way to the power plant, Bart struggles to behave on the bus ride. Mrs. Krabappel warns Bart that one more outburst will result in him singing to the class in the front of the bus. Sherri and Terri, who are sitting behind Bart, decide to get him in some more trouble. At the same time, they both kiss Bart on the cheek, causing him to yell out. Mrs. Krabappel makes good on her threat and forces Bart to sing in front of the class. The bus finally arrives at the power plant, and Bart congratulates Wendell for making the whole bus ride without puking, by slapping him on the back, which results in Wendell vomiting anyway.

Overall, a very emotional episode, but an okay/decent one.

7.5 out of 10

• Not bad... not good

5.5
    This is probably the first truly bad episode of the show. It had a nice opening act with Bart and the 4th grade class visiting the Springfield Nuclear Plant. But Bart waves to Homer, and Homer causes some danger, and is fired. Homer tries to kill himself later. I don't remember much else of the plot, i was really bored. IT wasn't that funny, and Homer trying to kill himself wasn't great. He eventually becomes the new safety technician at sector 7-G.

Season 1's worst, by far, in my opinion. It barely had any funny moments and was just dull
  • Not the best eppie.

During a field trip to The Nuclear Power Plant(for Bart's school), Homer gets fired for fooling around and showing off in front of the kids. Homer tries to commit suicide, but luckily, The family saves him. Homer starts doing things around town, like cleaning up the town, doing community service and stuff like that. After Mr. Burns and the plant see what great work Homer has done, he re hires him.

This was an okay episode. There weren't many great parts or evn many jokes for the matter, but it wasn't terrible. In fact, I liked the begginning with Wendell on the bus.

Overall Grade: 70%/C
  • Homer's Odyssey: Homer gets fired which later drives him to kill himself s

Homer's Odyssey Let me start off by saying that the episode is not bad it's just that I find it very boring. The plot worked very well but the execution was poorly done and the jokes were few (If any) It was so unmemorable that I actually forgot the plot of it while writing this. Anyway the ending didn't help it felt very tacked on and the suicide bit were stupid. But still they were still working hard on a 20 minute episode format so we can't really blame them can we?

Score for Homer's Odyssey: C+, 3/5, 6.5/10, Adequate
  • homer gets fired goes tries to kill himself and get rehired

in this ep homer gets fired from the powerplant he feels sad and tries to kill himself his family comes to him and they tell him they love him. and he gets better and goes and starts to clean up the town and help the people during that time the plant decides to hire homer and he gets rehired again. this to me was good ep becasue it was still in the simpsons glory days and it still drew in the millions of people that watched the show so i think this was a really good ep and i gave it a 9 for these reasons.
  • Beer...now there's a temporary solution.

Springfield Elementary is on a field trip to Springfield Nuclear Power Plant, Homer's workplace. Mrs. Krabappel warns Bart to behave and not make this trip a repeat of their trip to the state prison. Otto shows up late and drives the kids to the plant. Bart has to sit next to Wendell, who throws up on every bus ride. He gets in trouble on the bus ride and Mrs. Krabappel makes him sing "John Henry Was A Steel Driving Man". When they arrive at SNPP, Smithers shows the class a very cheesy old-timey film about nuclear energy, then takes them on a tour of the plant. Homer knows the kids are at the plant and drives off in his cart to go see the kids. When Bart sees Homer and waves to him, Homer waves to him, only to crash into a pipe. He is immediately fired. Homer doesn't think he can find another job, but Bart and Lisa encourage him to start looking. However, no one wants to hire Homer. Frustrated, he goes to Moe's Tavern to drown his sorrows with alcohol, but he has no money for the beer and Moe won't run a tab for Homer because he doesn't think Homer will ever get another job. That night, Marge decides to go get her old job back as a waitress at a burger joint so that there will be money coming in. Depressed, Homer lies on his couch, not moving, while Bart gets him to sign his very poor report card. Homer sees a commercial for Duff Beer and decides that beer can get him through his unemployment, but he finds no beer in the fridge. He decides to break open Bart's piggy bank for beer money, but when he does it, he realizes he hates what he's becoming. He decides to kill himself. He leaves a suicide note, takes a big boulder and ties it around his waist, and heads off to a bridge to go jump off of. However, Marge and the kids discover Homer's suicide note and rush out to save Homer. They find him at the bridge just as he is about to jump. As they rush over to stop him, they are almost hit by a speeding car and Homer barely saves them in time. Homer realizes he cares about public safety and vows to have a stop sign put up at the bridge. He lobbies for it at City Hall, and they agree to put the stop sign in. Homer decides that he's not going to stop at the stop sign and decides he will be a safety crusader. Soon, signs are everywhere thanks to Homer and Homer has a huge rallying behind him. However, he has to take on his biggest challenge yet: His old employers, Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. Homer holds a protest outside the plant lobbying for the plant to be shut down. Mr. Burns watches this from his office up above and orders Smithers to bring Homer to his office. When Homer steps into Burns's office, he offers Homer a new job as the plant's safety inspector. Homer agrees to take the job, but his first duty is to step outside and tell everyone the plant is safe. Homer has trouble doing this, but Burns convinces him he has made the right decision. Homer tells everybody he can no longer be their safety crusader, but they don't need to worry as he will be the plant's new safety inspector. Everybody cheers Homer.

This episode introduces Otto, Sherri and Terri, Wendell, Jasper, the Winfields, Chief Wiggum, and properly introduces Waylon Smithers and Mr. Burns. We also to get to see the first Duff Beer commercial and Bart's first prank call to Moe (I. P. Freely) in the series. Mr. Burns here is voiced by a different voice actor than normal (the late Christopher Collins, instead of Harry Shearer). Homer in this episode is quite out of character (Homer attempting to commit suicide?! The Homer Simpson we know and love would never do that) and he seems more responsible than normal. This is forgiveable as it is one of the first episodes and they hadn't fully developed the characters yet. Overall this is a good episode. The only problems I had with it was that it was a bit lacking in humor (it still had a good storyline), Smithers was black in this episode (an animation error), and Homer's suicide attempt (which wasn't that funny).
  • Homer is fired from the nuclear plant and tries to kill himself.

Bart's class goes on a field trip to the Nuclear Power Plant. While riding through the plant in an electric cart, he spots Bart and waves to him, sending him crashing into a radioactive pipe causing the plant to shut down. Homer is fired for safety violations. Depressed and unable to find a new job, he sets off in the middle of the night to jump off a bridge. The family gets there just in time but almost gets hit by a truck. Homer pulls them out of the way in time. Homer embarks on a public safety crusade to make the town a safe place, putting road signs up everywhere. Mr. Burns recognizes his work and invites him back to the power plant.

This was a below average episode. I just plain didnt like the episode as I usually like the Simpsons. I just found this episode boring. Give it a watch if you want but I wouldnt recommend it.
  • Homer gets fired from his job, feeling sad and suicidal, but when his family tells him they love him, he reconsiders, then he helps clean up his town, Springfield, and everyone around town starts to really like him, he gets rehired, and people are happy.

I think The Simpsons, is a Good, Grade A, World Champion show around the world and this is the best episode. It's funny, teaches you that there are always people there for you, and you can always help. I think Matt Groening did a good job thinking of the title, too. I thought it was a clever name. I thought it was funny that Homer wanted to use Bart's money to buy a beer, and when Homer crashed into the wall when he looked to say "hi" to Bart. All in all, I thought it was a good episode and I rate it 10 out of 10.
  • I was actually bored watching this.

Homer decides to become more safe after the near death of his family in road accident. As usually Homer takes this completely out of hand and the bit that made me chuckle was the paper headlines. I think that is the only funny part in the episode. It was very serious and a character devolpment how homer got to become safety inspector.

I Don't think it has highs or lows. It was mediocre. I think this is all to be said for a boring episode with more story then laughs. I now have to waste ten words so I can Print this.
  • One word... Idiotic

I remember watching this episode and all I can say is that it wasn't the best in the series. But it wasnt the worse. I didn't quite get the point why Homer would commit suicide just because he cant find a job doesnt mean he needs to kill himself. And I think the producers went just a little bit over the top with how many signs Homer put. Now, I've been moaning an awful lot about this episode haven't I. But let me just remind you it still delivers laughs. So in conclusion I would so good efforts but I think you tries too hard and aimed too high.
  • Nothing special

This epsiode is kind of dark Homer gets fired and plans to commit suicide. Then when his family goes to find him a car flies by and he notices the street needs a stop sign. He gets signs put all over Springfield. He tries to tak down the powerplant but instead becomes the plants safety inspector which he still is today.

It is not a memorable episode it is just to show how homer got his job. This episode has a lot of first time appearances including Otto, Smithers (who is black) & Chief Wiggum . It is the worst episode of the first season and I dont like it much. 6/10
  • Safety comes first

Great episode here's my Classic Quote section:

(Mr. Burns offers Homer the new job of safety inspector)
    Mr. Burns: The generous offer I'm making is good for exactly…30 seconds, Simpson.
    Homer's Brain: Me, in charge of safety? This place could blow sky high. Nah. I'll concentrate on my work now. Gee, this guy's desk sure is big. I can't let Marge support the family. This guy's got the cleanest shirt I've ever seen. What should I--.
    Mr. Burns: Simpson, time's up.
    Homer: Mmm, what the hey. I'll take the job.
    Mr. Burns: Excellent.

My Why i loved this episode:
    Homer shows emotion at the loss of a job he actually shows emotion thats a great thing for the simpsons to do.

Better Or Worse then the last episode:
    Equal to Bart the Genius a little worse story telling but the jokes were just as good.

Thanks,
    Ahh Goobras

Screw Flanders Screw flanders screw flanders
  • Homer is unsure of himself regarding life and after trying to commit suicide he discovers the importance of safety.

5.1
    1.3 Homers Odyssey

At this point in "The Simpsons", we were just being introduced to the characters and characteristics. But out of the thirteen episodes in season one, this is the worst one. I found most of this episode particularly boring,but like all Simpsons episodes it had its good moments. We see Barts first prank call to Moes Tavern, his name:I.P. Freely. Did you notice in this episode that Waylon Smithers is black? We get a good look at Homers job and his boss Mr.Burns and his assistant Smithers. Mr.Burns is introduced as a rich man and offers Homer a job as safety inspector at Sector 7G. Mr.Burns uses "excellent" for the first time.

Not one of my favorite episodes, but contributes to the show.

Enjoy!
  • Stop crowd surfing and get back to work! Warning: Contains spoilers!

I have no clue why I don't remember much about watching this episode until I saw it. Maybe I do have a clue. Anyways, this episode is probably the best episode of the first season of the Simpsons. Although, the humor wasn't the best and this is one of those Simpsons episodes like most of the first season is.. without the idiot Homer, this still was a great episode to watch. I can't wait to see Homer develop more in to an idiot in the series as I'm watching.

I enjoyed this episode, and I found it hilarious. My favorite scene in this episode could be when Homer fell but fell onto a crowd who liked him.

In this episode, Homer gets fired from the nuclear plant as a technical supervisor or supervisor technical guy after an accident. After this, he attempts suicide until his family almost gets hit by a car. After this, he vows to have stop signs and others on the road. Soon, he realizes the biggest danger is the nuclear plant. But, he is taken in to work as a safety inspector, and he takes the job. The crowd of people who were with him seems to like his speech after he accepts the job, and they are with him.

This episode was very entertaining, and I enjoyed it.
  • Homer plays it safe

7.3
    This episode is somewhat dark with Homer getting fired from the nuclear plant and contemplating suicide until he finds his new calling - 'safety guy'. The story isn't great but it fulfills its purpose, which is to establish Homer's vocation. It's been a while since I'd seen this one; as a result I had completely forgotten that there was actually a story behind Homer's position at the plant.

The episode is mostly notable for having a number of first appearances, including Otto, Smithers & Chief Wiggum. Smithers is oddly colored due to what I assume must have been a slip-up in overseas animation. It's not that much of a distraction, though, considering that the entire show's animation style has changed dramatically since these early episodes.
  • Homer loses his job. He tries to looks for a new job but couldnt so he attemped suicide but as soon as his family shows up he sees dangerous and bes the saftey man of the city. He is later invited to join the plant again with a raise in which he accept.

7.4
    Homer's Odyssey: "This episode was fair. It had a cliche plot. Someone loses there job so they look for a new one but they get there old job back later on. This episode had one big mistake in it. Smithers was black in this episode. Thats the biggest mistake in the History of the Simpsons. This episode was one of the first episodes i saw growing up. It debuts the Springfield's power plant mascot smiling joe fisson. It also marks the debut of Otto the bus driver. This episode marks the first time bart prank calls moe's Tavern."

Favorite Quote. " Is mr freely there? Freely first name I.P."
  • Homer sad about being fired?

7.6
    Homer reevaluates his life after getting fired from the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant for causing a meltdown. He becomes a public safety advocate and rallies to have speed bumps installed on roads and fights against his old boss. Eventually, he abandons his cause and gets rehired at the plant with a raise. I have one thing to say to you Homer Simpsons get used to getting fired because boy are you going to be surprised after you get fired so many times in the series. The Simpsons by now are just getting their sea legs for comedy, and they will get much better so not to worry fans it will get better, but it is not horrible so far.
  • Homer has lost his job in ther nuclear power plant for causing an accident.

I can't believe it. Homer lost his job in the nuclear power plant for causing an accident. He tried some other jobs but fails as shown that the doors in front of him closes.

Here's something funny. Bart asks Moe for an I.P. Freely. It means "I pee freely". After Moe says "I.P. Freely!", the customers laughed at him. Realizing it is a prank call, Moe says "Listen to me, you lousy bum, if I ever get a hold of you, you're dead. I swear I'm gonna slice your heart in half!" Homer tells him that he will get the prank caller someday. Moe claims that the prank caller is tough to catch because he changed his name.
  • Homer the safety watch dog

Homer got fired for the first time for gross incompetence or we can say accident and being promoted as the Safety Inspector...until now. It's really ridiculous because of the reason he got fired,(there will be a meltdown alert every now and then in the future). The riveting moment is when Homer tries to commit suicide and the Simpsons reunited at the intersection. When Homer's proposal for a stop sign is approved, Homer just doesn't stop there, he became very safety conscious for Springfielders putting safety signs everywhere since he got nothing to do. When Homer leads a group of protesters outside the nuclear power plant,Burns sees Homer as a people person and offers him the Safety Inspector job and vows to concentrate on his work (yeah right, we all know that's not going to happen). This episode lacks some laughter and Burnies room looks awful
  • Homer Simpson gets fired and becomes the phenomenon for safety in Springfield.

7.1
    In this episode we again see the hole family of the simpsons. The show starts in bart's school. The school has an education day. They are going to visit the power plant and when they get there, they first see some material about rhe "How nuclear energy is not what you think" topics. Then they go arround the facility. Bart sees Homer while he's working and he shouts loud. Homer does a mistake and he gets fired. He tries to find a job in almost every peace of Springfield, but he cant. Then he gets an idea to become the safety-man in springfield by turning against the Power Plant... Will he be able to stand on his own or he's gonna get the higher position in the facility that Mr. Burns offers him. The answer is: both. He'll become a safety manager in the facility. This episode doesn't impressed me a lot but it was actually funny like every simpson episode...
  • Homer fights for improved safety at the nuclear energy plant

Like the 3 first full lenght simpsons episodes, this one again feels more like a soap opera than the simpsons show we all have come to love. Not a very funny episode but still, it has that very good story telling that keeps you glued to the tv to find out what is going to happen next.

I loved the good messages these first episodes want to express to the public, like: safety in radioactive energy plants. I didnt like the fact that Homer changes his mind in the end.

An ok episode with not enough jokes but with a great message for the family.
  • An early classic by all means, just lacks that Simpson's pizazz that made the show great

7.1
    The problem with this episode lays almost entirely in how early it was made. This isn't the worst story-line ever, not the best either but with the flaws of the earlier episodes it can be very hard to watch. The humor is dry and the story a bit to sappy for my personal taste. The fact that Homer contemplates suicide while edgy, especially at the time, left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. And the role of Homer as a safety crusader seemed a bit too unbelievable. It was out of character for him and although it was in character for early story lines the whole thing just left me kinda perplexed and wanting.
  • I liked this episode very much, it\\\'s a classic simpsons\\\' episode

When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean. Reviews must be 100 words minimum. We encourage you to try to get your review right the first time--you may choose to edit it later on, but by doing so, you will lose any positive feedback associated with the review. We encourage you to write your review in a word processor or text editor, save it to your local disk, then copy and paste it in the box below. I liked this episode very much, it\\\'s a classic simpsons\\\' episode.It isn\\\'t the best episode of simpsons .But Ah blá blá
  • Homer's first firing

Homer at first talks like Walter Mattheu, but his voice will take a different tone later. In this episode, Homer was fired for the first time and it won't ber the last. Last sunday, Homer was fired then became an Ice Cream man. After he was fired, Homer went on a long journey pf self-identify, which includes trying to kill himself and after his family stop him, he made a decision of going into another direction in life. This is a early favorite featuring Homer. He may not be my favortite characters at the moment, But later on, he will be my second favorite character.
  • homer gets fired from work origin of how he becomes a safety inspector

6.4
    An average episode a bit boring in some places and could have been better.not the best episode in season 1.The stroy is that homer gets fired and tries to commit suicide but fails.He starts to put signs up all over springfield about safety and then tries and takes on the nuclear power plant.mr burns makes a deal with homer that if he stops the protesting he can become the new safety inspector.Homer agrees obviously.
    Nothing special but a should see
  • A really good episode.

This episode was pretty cool, apart from Homer getting fired and all...and he tries to kill himself, but he becomes a public safety avdocate. Not much I can say about this episode apart from that the fact it wasn't all that bad but it could have been better, in my opinion.
  • He's Done It again lol.

Once again homer has caused havoc in the nuclear power plant but this time it costs him his job and all because of Bart. Even though its a tough time for the simpsons its a funny time for viewers seing what will happen next because as we all know this is the first season and one of the first episodes so we stil hadn't experienced the full simpsons at that time. My favorite part of this episode is when homer crashes into the pipe full of nuclear gases, lol. well anyway we are now coming into the 18th season and all i have to say is GJ Matt Groening for all the fun times and laughs you have brought us. :D
< 1 2