The Simpsons

Homer's Odyssey

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 21, 1990 on FOX

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

7.7
  • He's Done It again lol.

Once again homer has caused havoc in the nuclear power plant but this time it costs him his job and all because of Bart. Even though its a tough time for the simpsons its a funny time for viewers seing what will happen next because as we all know this is the first season and one of the first episodes so we stil hadn't experienced the full simpsons at that time. My favorite part of this episode is when homer crashes into the pipe full of nuclear gases, lol. well anyway we are now coming into the 18th season and all i have to say is GJ Matt Groening for all the fun times and laughs you have brought us. :D
  • Homer gets fired and trys to make a differance in safety.

Mrs. Krabappel takes Bart's class on a trip to the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. While riding through the plant in an electric cart Homer crashes into a radioactive pipe, causing him to be fired for repeated safety violations. Depressed and unable to find a new job, Homer writes a good-bye note and goes to jump of a bridge. Lisa finds the note and alerts the family. Rushing to stop Homer the family is almost ran over by a speeding truck, but Homer gets them out of the way just in time. Homer enbarks on a public safety erusade to make Springfield a safer place to live. Speed bumps, warning signs, and public awareness posters are placed throughout the city. Wehn he becomes bored with traffic safety, Homer takes on the nuclear power plant, rallying to the people of Springfield. To stop Homer, Mr. Burns offers Homer a new job with more pay. Homer accepts the job which is Safety Supervisor.
  • A classic.

This is another great episode. Bart and his class are on a school trip to the nuclear power plant when Bart says hi to Homer. Homer was distracted and ended up breaking something. Bart costed him the job. Homer was about to kill himself but he becomes the public safety. He rallied the workers at the power plant to install speed bumps on the road from Mr.Burns. Homer gets rehired with a raise if he abandoned his cause and he did.
  • Chris Latta was a Good Mr.Burns

One day When Homer's Son Bart has a Class Trip to the Nuclear Power Plant and Everyone is ashamed of Homer's behavoiur and Burns fires Him and just before Homer was going to the do Suicide Homer Nearly gets run over by a Car and he wants a Stop sign and he was going to shut down The Plant until Burns gives Him a Promotion
  • Homer got fired and he actually looked disappointed!

This was the very first episode Homer got fired.

Its weird watching these episodes because Homer seem much less of a slob than he does in the present.

The Ironic thing is he got fired when he was trying to do some work. (and impress Bart) In the future he seemed to slide under the radar and sleep a fair bit and so he hardly eer got in trouble. Although when he slept sometimes there would be a meltdown alert.

In the 1st season it was like Homer was a completely different person. I know all the characters have evolved in some way, but he has changed an incredible amount from the start.

This episode he is completely out of character. He becomes obsessed with safety! Thats right this is how he became safety inspector. You got the impression that after this episode he would be extra good at his job, but instead he went in the opposite direction.
  • Homers Odyssey

This is another great episode. Bart and his class are on a school trip to the nuclear power plant when Bart says hi to Homer Bart costs him the job but he obviously returns to his work place but before he did that was trying to kill himself and protesting.
  • this show is cool

7.7
    i like this episode because its the first time that homer has actually got fired from his lame "sector 7g " job. as smithers would say "its the shmo from sector 7g sir" anyway moving on this is a gr8 episode because it shows that when an stupid person like homer simpson gets fired, then its possible to rebuild your life again.
  • An episode filed with trills and excitement and a below average human losing his job.

Fired from his work, resident Homer becomes caught in a grid of nuclear hazards and public safety. An action - adventure tale aflame with danger and public code violations. My favourite quote in this episode is a prank phone call to Moe I.P Freely. When Homer almost kills himself by jumping over a bridge his family try to stop him when a car nearly runs them over so Homer decides to become a man of safety and Mr Burns gives Homer a new job at the plant ; A safety technician. An episode filed with trills and excitement and a below average human losing his job.
  • homer gets fired for the first of many times

7.8
    this episode is a very important episode of the simpsons which actually shows homer can be competent at something, not his actual job but a short time of making springfield a safe town. after 2 episodes of being a worker at the nuclear power plant, he gets fired and later promoted to the nuclear power plant safety inspector of sector 7G that he does to this day (except for most episodes where he gets fired or gets another job). homer attempting to kill himself was a bit of a stretch on an early episode but finding the boulder/rock next to the bridge after carrying one from home was humourous so that scene was saved and everything went uphill for homer then. not the best early episode but homer getting promoted was an important aspect of the series which would bring many jokes later on in the series.
  • Homer searches for his meaning.

Homer's job at the nuclear plant is pretty much full of donuts and sleep. That turns into anugish when Homer causes another mishap and loses his job becoming a bum who never moves a muscle, come to think of it, didn't he already did that? Homer attempting suicide was as funny as Homer's seniors comment, but Homer sees the light and campaigns for the little guy with signs. OK, dozens of signs are OK but they can be a pain to watch, everywhere you look, there's a sign, that actually gets the attention of Burns who wants Homer to work for him to prevent secrets about the plant to be revealed.
  • It was ok.

Bart and his class go on a field trip to the nuclear plant. When Bart sees Homer and waves to him, he gets distracted and crashes in his tractor, costing him his job. Since he can't find a job and thinks his life can't get any worse, he goes to a bridge with a rock, attempting to jump in and drown himself. Right before he does, his family stops him.

He sees a part of the intersection by the bridge without a stop sign. He then starts a group of people to help him fix problems involving signs. When one of his groupées say that the nuclear plant isn't safe, they head there to protest against it.

This was an average episode, so in my opinion, it wan't that good. Well, it was the third episode in production, so they still probably didn't have the hang of things. Anyway, it wasn't really that funny, but it had its moments. I'll always remember Bart's line about their infamous prison field trip, "I'm telling you Mrs. Krabappel, I didn't unlock that door." That quote will always be remembered in my head. This episode was OKAY.

Grade: C-
  • Homer wants to take on his boss. Just like how Homer himself is stupid, so was this episode. (Spoilers!!)

6.7
    'Homer's Odyssey' was the 3rd episode in the series, and it was already slowing down for me. This episode was pretty boring. There were no jokes, ( and like i've said in my past 2 reviews ) this episode is just extremely slow. Nothing really happens in this episode. Homer takes on his boss, so what? Nothing exciting happens, but at the end of the show Homer get's his job back, 'and a big fat raise'.

And I say it again, if you have season one, of course give this episode a look, but you most likely won't find anything spectacular about it.

6.7/10
  • Sorry, but attempted suicide does NOT make for humorous satire.

Despite being an episode that is vital to the rest of the series, "Homer's Odyssey" is often considered by many to be one of the weakest outings. While I certainly don't consider it that terrible, and find a few other episodes in Season 1 to be well worse, it definitely has its share of problems.

The episode actually starts out pretty strong. The "Smilin' Joe Fission" cartoon played on the field trip to SNPP is clever, as are the various stabs at insecure nuclear facilities. During the field trip, an accident occurs that exposes Homer's antics to Mr. Burns, who makes his grand debut here (along with a black Smithers). This leaves Homer to find a new job, which he finds in conserving public safety. Unfortunately for Homer, nobody is satisfied with his safety regulations, either.

Things take a nasty turn in the third act, where Homer resorts to attempting suicide by chaining himself to a boulder and hurling himself into the river. Now, while I don't necessarily find this sequence offensive, I do find it fairly insensetive to be showcasing attempted suicide in family-suited animation. Before going off the deep end, however, Homer tries his chances once more at the power plant, and his recent safety qualifications land him a job as the plant's safety inspector, where he shall slack off even more than he did on his previous job.
  • One of the weaker episodes of the first season. We do get to see Homer in his old job, and recieving his new job at the power plant.

7.2
    Originally airing on January 21, 1990, "Homer's Odyssey" featured a more in depth introduction of Burns and Smithers. This episode was one of the weaker ones of the first season. It did have some of the first season animation glitches that we have gotten used to. But, it did have a few great animation tricks for the first season (Maggie's finger in Homer's eye, high angle shots). Overall, it was an average episode, with some good jokes. It just wasn't a very strong episode. It was more about character development (Homer's old job, and his new job) than previous episodes.
  • Homer becomes a saftey inspector.

This is an average episode for The Simpsons but it is probably my least favorite in the first season.

A depressed Homer, about to commit suicide by throwing a rock down into the water while he is above the brigde, saves his family from a truck about to run them over. After saving them, Homer realizes that he has a purpose in live and that is to help people be safe.

Homer goes overboard with the signs of saftey but he does get his job back from the Power Plant.

There is really nothing more about this episode. It was a decent episode put out by The Simpsons.
  • This is the episode where we see homers old job at the power plant.

When people look at this episode..i dont get it why people overlook it, this is where homer gets the safety inspecter.. a IMPORTANT part of the series. Anyway, as we go on we see a black smithiers. This is his (unoffical) first apperance in this episode. And we meet blinky, the 3 eyed fish. But the fish takes a bigger role in season 2. So it is safe to say that this episode,we are introduced to a lot of different characters who take bigger roles in the series. But now back to the episode,it shows homer about to kill himself, but the family saves him and makes the town put up a lot of street signs. Not even i could do stuff like that. But on a wrap-up note.This episode is just like a introduction to different characters. But mostly homer because it shows how he got the saftey inspector job.
    Overall i give it a 9.0
  • Homer officially becomes the safety inspector here. But, five minutes before that, he tries to kill himself. And we're shown a strange looking, black Smithers.

Lots of issues still hadn't been resolved yet by this point. The Smithers character was black. Mr. Burns is in the wrong office. So on and so forth.

But I liked how they introduced the Nuclear Power plant here. Another little joke that worked very well (and foreshadowed more like this to come) was the Smillin' Joe Fission video that the kids watch at the Nuclear power plant. Typical of the kind of "educational" programs that many baby boomers grew up with.

Homer's struggles to find a job were mildly funny: the doors slamming on his face, the smashing of Bart's piggy bank. But by today's standards, it's a very slow moving plot that feels cliched.

After Homer tries to kill himself, I felt things sort of went downhill. Act 3 rushes through as suddenly Homer is a front page hero for getting a few stop signs put in place.

Mr. Burns is introduced well, as is Smithers, and the scary boss is shockingly close to what he would become throughout the series. And that was a plus.

The episode as a whole is slow and suffers from animation problems of various sorts. Nothing too bad but you'll notice a few things here and there. This was a decent episode but lacking on laughs. It's one of these first season episodes that doesn't hold up that well when compared to modern shows that they're doing.
  • Homer becomes a concerned safety activist.

This episode is pretty much average. Although the idea of Homer being a safety activist is above average.

First, I will start out with my opinion on the plot. How I love this idea. Homer truly takes a step forward when he is concerned about safety. Go Homer! His suicide attempt leads to his family almost being hit by a vehicle, and then Homer realizes that he must stamp down a legacy. Good for you Homer!

Next, we come to the actual episode. It has some funny moments, especially the newspaper headlines. What I dislike in this episode is that it's joke storage is at a minimum. Hmmm...but safety is a good issue to carry out. That is what gives this show an average taste. If the plotline was not good, this episode could have been a sham.
1 2 >