The Simpsons

Homer's Odyssey

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 21, 1990 on FOX

7.7
  • Lame episode

Of all the season 1 episodes, this ranks as one of the worst simpsons episodes right next to Saddlesore Galatica.

Homer loses his job, and decides to waste his life, but goes political afterwards to complain about safety. Nothing else pretty much happens. That and Smithers wasn't colored correctly.

This is one of the worst episodes of the show. But it's still much more tolerable than newer Family Guy or Simpsons episodes.
  • Homer is unsure of himself regarding life and after trying to commit suicide he discovers the importance of safety.

5.1
    1.3 Homers Odyssey

At this point in "The Simpsons", we were just being introduced to the characters and characteristics. But out of the thirteen episodes in season one, this is the worst one. I found most of this episode particularly boring,but like all Simpsons episodes it had its good moments. We see Barts first prank call to Moes Tavern, his name:I.P. Freely. Did you notice in this episode that Waylon Smithers is black? We get a good look at Homers job and his boss Mr.Burns and his assistant Smithers. Mr.Burns is introduced as a rich man and offers Homer a job as safety inspector at Sector 7G. Mr.Burns uses "excellent" for the first time.

Not one of my favorite episodes, but contributes to the show.

Enjoy!
  • Boring episode. that's coming from a massive SImpsons fan

5.5
    As Homer is fired, he tries to find the meaning of his life. The first 5 minutes or so of this episode was good but as soon as Homer got fired, things went downhill. And I mean it. It became dull and felt far too emotional. This episode probably was the worst from Season 1.
  • Not bad... not good

5.5
    This is probably the first truly bad episode of the show. It had a nice opening act with Bart and the 4th grade class visiting the Springfield Nuclear Plant. But Bart waves to Homer, and Homer causes some danger, and is fired. Homer tries to kill himself later. I don't remember much else of the plot, i was really bored. IT wasn't that funny, and Homer trying to kill himself wasn't great. He eventually becomes the new safety technician at sector 7-G.

Season 1's worst, by far, in my opinion. It barely had any funny moments and was just dull
  • Nothing special

This epsiode is kind of dark Homer gets fired and plans to commit suicide. Then when his family goes to find him a car flies by and he notices the street needs a stop sign. He gets signs put all over Springfield. He tries to tak down the powerplant but instead becomes the plants safety inspector which he still is today.

It is not a memorable episode it is just to show how homer got his job. This episode has a lot of first time appearances including Otto, Smithers (who is black) & Chief Wiggum . It is the worst episode of the first season and I dont like it much. 6/10
  • Sorry, but attempted suicide does NOT make for humorous satire.

Despite being an episode that is vital to the rest of the series, "Homer's Odyssey" is often considered by many to be one of the weakest outings. While I certainly don't consider it that terrible, and find a few other episodes in Season 1 to be well worse, it definitely has its share of problems.

The episode actually starts out pretty strong. The "Smilin' Joe Fission" cartoon played on the field trip to SNPP is clever, as are the various stabs at insecure nuclear facilities. During the field trip, an accident occurs that exposes Homer's antics to Mr. Burns, who makes his grand debut here (along with a black Smithers). This leaves Homer to find a new job, which he finds in conserving public safety. Unfortunately for Homer, nobody is satisfied with his safety regulations, either.

Things take a nasty turn in the third act, where Homer resorts to attempting suicide by chaining himself to a boulder and hurling himself into the river. Now, while I don't necessarily find this sequence offensive, I do find it fairly insensetive to be showcasing attempted suicide in family-suited animation. Before going off the deep end, however, Homer tries his chances once more at the power plant, and his recent safety qualifications land him a job as the plant's safety inspector, where he shall slack off even more than he did on his previous job.
  • Homer officially becomes the safety inspector here. But, five minutes before that, he tries to kill himself. And we're shown a strange looking, black Smithers.

Lots of issues still hadn't been resolved yet by this point. The Smithers character was black. Mr. Burns is in the wrong office. So on and so forth.

But I liked how they introduced the Nuclear Power plant here. Another little joke that worked very well (and foreshadowed more like this to come) was the Smillin' Joe Fission video that the kids watch at the Nuclear power plant. Typical of the kind of "educational" programs that many baby boomers grew up with.

Homer's struggles to find a job were mildly funny: the doors slamming on his face, the smashing of Bart's piggy bank. But by today's standards, it's a very slow moving plot that feels cliched.

After Homer tries to kill himself, I felt things sort of went downhill. Act 3 rushes through as suddenly Homer is a front page hero for getting a few stop signs put in place.

Mr. Burns is introduced well, as is Smithers, and the scary boss is shockingly close to what he would become throughout the series. And that was a plus.

The episode as a whole is slow and suffers from animation problems of various sorts. Nothing too bad but you'll notice a few things here and there. This was a decent episode but lacking on laughs. It's one of these first season episodes that doesn't hold up that well when compared to modern shows that they're doing.
  • homer gets fired from work origin of how he becomes a safety inspector

6.4
    An average episode a bit boring in some places and could have been better.not the best episode in season 1.The stroy is that homer gets fired and tries to commit suicide but fails.He starts to put signs up all over springfield about safety and then tries and takes on the nuclear power plant.mr burns makes a deal with homer that if he stops the protesting he can become the new safety inspector.Homer agrees obviously.
    Nothing special but a should see
  • This episode's plot is freaking lame, but Moaning Lisa is a tad lamer than this.

Well, like everyone else, this wasn't my favorite episode. Most of them had the exact same opinion and they thought it was okay. I don't think it's my least favorite episode of the season, since there's 2 episodes I rated 5 points lower. The plot is very lame due to Homer wanting to kill himself since he got fired at his job. I don't feel like giving this episode a 4-6 though, so a 6.5 would be good enough. It's underrated, but I understand that it's not the best. The plot for this episode is the biggest flaw, but I got two other flaws as well. It was boring and lackluster like the previous episode in some parts. Also, I didn't like the scene when Sherri and Terri (the twins) forces Bart to do something as well as teasing him. Homer was pretty out of character when he tried to kill himself. Nevertheless, there are still good scenes in this episode like Bart singing at the bus, the chemical rod video, Homer crashing in a radioactive pipe, Bart prank calling Moe, Marge on tricycle, the newspaper of Homer adding stop sign (especially the last one), Homer's speech (funny), and Mr. Burns giving Homer his job back (heartwarming), and Homer falling from the building (funny). So, in conclusion, I would rate it close the middle. It was an okay episode with a meh plot.

Score 6.5/10
  • Homer's Odyssey: Homer gets fired which later drives him to kill himself s

Homer's Odyssey Let me start off by saying that the episode is not bad it's just that I find it very boring. The plot worked very well but the execution was poorly done and the jokes were few (If any) It was so unmemorable that I actually forgot the plot of it while writing this. Anyway the ending didn't help it felt very tacked on and the suicide bit were stupid. But still they were still working hard on a 20 minute episode format so we can't really blame them can we?

Score for Homer's Odyssey: C+, 3/5, 6.5/10, Adequate
  • I was actually bored watching this.

Homer decides to become more safe after the near death of his family in road accident. As usually Homer takes this completely out of hand and the bit that made me chuckle was the paper headlines. I think that is the only funny part in the episode. It was very serious and a character devolpment how homer got to become safety inspector.

I Don't think it has highs or lows. It was mediocre. I think this is all to be said for a boring episode with more story then laughs. I now have to waste ten words so I can Print this.
  • Homer wants to take on his boss. Just like how Homer himself is stupid, so was this episode. (Spoilers!!)

6.7
    'Homer's Odyssey' was the 3rd episode in the series, and it was already slowing down for me. This episode was pretty boring. There were no jokes, ( and like i've said in my past 2 reviews ) this episode is just extremely slow. Nothing really happens in this episode. Homer takes on his boss, so what? Nothing exciting happens, but at the end of the show Homer get's his job back, 'and a big fat raise'.

And I say it again, if you have season one, of course give this episode a look, but you most likely won't find anything spectacular about it.

6.7/10
  • Not the best eppie.

During a field trip to The Nuclear Power Plant(for Bart's school), Homer gets fired for fooling around and showing off in front of the kids. Homer tries to commit suicide, but luckily, The family saves him. Homer starts doing things around town, like cleaning up the town, doing community service and stuff like that. After Mr. Burns and the plant see what great work Homer has done, he re hires him.

This was an okay episode. There weren't many great parts or evn many jokes for the matter, but it wasn't terrible. In fact, I liked the begginning with Wendell on the bus.

Overall Grade: 70%/C
  • Homer's first firing

Homer at first talks like Walter Mattheu, but his voice will take a different tone later. In this episode, Homer was fired for the first time and it won't ber the last. Last sunday, Homer was fired then became an Ice Cream man. After he was fired, Homer went on a long journey pf self-identify, which includes trying to kill himself and after his family stop him, he made a decision of going into another direction in life. This is a early favorite featuring Homer. He may not be my favortite characters at the moment, But later on, he will be my second favorite character.
  • It was ok.

Bart and his class go on a field trip to the nuclear plant. When Bart sees Homer and waves to him, he gets distracted and crashes in his tractor, costing him his job. Since he can't find a job and thinks his life can't get any worse, he goes to a bridge with a rock, attempting to jump in and drown himself. Right before he does, his family stops him.

He sees a part of the intersection by the bridge without a stop sign. He then starts a group of people to help him fix problems involving signs. When one of his groupées say that the nuclear plant isn't safe, they head there to protest against it.

This was an average episode, so in my opinion, it wan't that good. Well, it was the third episode in production, so they still probably didn't have the hang of things. Anyway, it wasn't really that funny, but it had its moments. I'll always remember Bart's line about their infamous prison field trip, "I'm telling you Mrs. Krabappel, I didn't unlock that door." That quote will always be remembered in my head. This episode was OKAY.

Grade: C-
  • Homer becomes a saftey inspector.

This is an average episode for The Simpsons but it is probably my least favorite in the first season.

A depressed Homer, about to commit suicide by throwing a rock down into the water while he is above the brigde, saves his family from a truck about to run them over. After saving them, Homer realizes that he has a purpose in live and that is to help people be safe.

Homer goes overboard with the signs of saftey but he does get his job back from the Power Plant.

There is really nothing more about this episode. It was a decent episode put out by The Simpsons.
  • Homer becomes a concerned safety activist.

This episode is pretty much average. Although the idea of Homer being a safety activist is above average.

First, I will start out with my opinion on the plot. How I love this idea. Homer truly takes a step forward when he is concerned about safety. Go Homer! His suicide attempt leads to his family almost being hit by a vehicle, and then Homer realizes that he must stamp down a legacy. Good for you Homer!

Next, we come to the actual episode. It has some funny moments, especially the newspaper headlines. What I dislike in this episode is that it's joke storage is at a minimum. Hmmm...but safety is a good issue to carry out. That is what gives this show an average taste. If the plotline was not good, this episode could have been a sham.
  • Homer Simpson gets fired and becomes the phenomenon for safety in Springfield.

7.1
    In this episode we again see the hole family of the simpsons. The show starts in bart's school. The school has an education day. They are going to visit the power plant and when they get there, they first see some material about rhe "How nuclear energy is not what you think" topics. Then they go arround the facility. Bart sees Homer while he's working and he shouts loud. Homer does a mistake and he gets fired. He tries to find a job in almost every peace of Springfield, but he cant. Then he gets an idea to become the safety-man in springfield by turning against the Power Plant... Will he be able to stand on his own or he's gonna get the higher position in the facility that Mr. Burns offers him. The answer is: both. He'll become a safety manager in the facility. This episode doesn't impressed me a lot but it was actually funny like every simpson episode...
  • An early classic by all means, just lacks that Simpson's pizazz that made the show great

7.1
    The problem with this episode lays almost entirely in how early it was made. This isn't the worst story-line ever, not the best either but with the flaws of the earlier episodes it can be very hard to watch. The humor is dry and the story a bit to sappy for my personal taste. The fact that Homer contemplates suicide while edgy, especially at the time, left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. And the role of Homer as a safety crusader seemed a bit too unbelievable. It was out of character for him and although it was in character for early story lines the whole thing just left me kinda perplexed and wanting.
  • One of the weaker episodes of the first season. We do get to see Homer in his old job, and recieving his new job at the power plant.

7.2
    Originally airing on January 21, 1990, "Homer's Odyssey" featured a more in depth introduction of Burns and Smithers. This episode was one of the weaker ones of the first season. It did have some of the first season animation glitches that we have gotten used to. But, it did have a few great animation tricks for the first season (Maggie's finger in Homer's eye, high angle shots). Overall, it was an average episode, with some good jokes. It just wasn't a very strong episode. It was more about character development (Homer's old job, and his new job) than previous episodes.
  • Homer plays it safe

7.3
    This episode is somewhat dark with Homer getting fired from the nuclear plant and contemplating suicide until he finds his new calling - 'safety guy'. The story isn't great but it fulfills its purpose, which is to establish Homer's vocation. It's been a while since I'd seen this one; as a result I had completely forgotten that there was actually a story behind Homer's position at the plant.

The episode is mostly notable for having a number of first appearances, including Otto, Smithers & Chief Wiggum. Smithers is oddly colored due to what I assume must have been a slip-up in overseas animation. It's not that much of a distraction, though, considering that the entire show's animation style has changed dramatically since these early episodes.
  • Homer loses his job. He tries to looks for a new job but couldnt so he attemped suicide but as soon as his family shows up he sees dangerous and bes the saftey man of the city. He is later invited to join the plant again with a raise in which he accept.

7.4
    Homer's Odyssey: "This episode was fair. It had a cliche plot. Someone loses there job so they look for a new one but they get there old job back later on. This episode had one big mistake in it. Smithers was black in this episode. Thats the biggest mistake in the History of the Simpsons. This episode was one of the first episodes i saw growing up. It debuts the Springfield's power plant mascot smiling joe fisson. It also marks the debut of Otto the bus driver. This episode marks the first time bart prank calls moe's Tavern."

Favorite Quote. " Is mr freely there? Freely first name I.P."
  • A little too emotional.

The episode begins in front of Springfield Elementary, as Mrs. Krabappel rounds up her class, including Bart, and prepares them for a field trip to the nuclear power plant. Otto, the bus driver, pulls up to the curb, and Bart chats with him outside of the bus, as the other kids find their seats. Mrs. Krabappel yells at Bart to get on the bus. When he scurries to find a seat, he is bummed to see the only one left is right next to Wendell, who is always queasy and pukes on every bus ride. As Otto takes the long way to the power plant, Bart struggles to behave on the bus ride. Mrs. Krabappel warns Bart that one more outburst will result in him singing to the class in the front of the bus. Sherri and Terri, who are sitting behind Bart, decide to get him in some more trouble. At the same time, they both kiss Bart on the cheek, causing him to yell out. Mrs. Krabappel makes good on her threat and forces Bart to sing in front of the class. The bus finally arrives at the power plant, and Bart congratulates Wendell for making the whole bus ride without puking, by slapping him on the back, which results in Wendell vomiting anyway.

Overall, a very emotional episode, but an okay/decent one.

7.5 out of 10

• Homer is fired from the nuclear plant and tries to kill himself.

Bart's class goes on a field trip to the Nuclear Power Plant. While riding through the plant in an electric cart, he spots Bart and waves to him, sending him crashing into a radioactive pipe causing the plant to shut down. Homer is fired for safety violations. Depressed and unable to find a new job, he sets off in the middle of the night to jump off a bridge. The family gets there just in time but almost gets hit by a truck. Homer pulls them out of the way in time. Homer embarks on a public safety crusade to make the town a safe place, putting road signs up everywhere. Mr. Burns recognizes his work and invites him back to the power plant.

This was a below average episode. I just plain didnt like the episode as I usually like the Simpsons. I just found this episode boring. Give it a watch if you want but I wouldnt recommend it.
  • Homer fights for improved safety at the nuclear energy plant

Like the 3 first full lenght simpsons episodes, this one again feels more like a soap opera than the simpsons show we all have come to love. Not a very funny episode but still, it has that very good story telling that keeps you glued to the tv to find out what is going to happen next.

I loved the good messages these first episodes want to express to the public, like: safety in radioactive energy plants. I didnt like the fact that Homer changes his mind in the end.

An ok episode with not enough jokes but with a great message for the family.
  • I liked this episode very much, it\\\'s a classic simpsons\\\' episode

When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean. Reviews must be 100 words minimum. We encourage you to try to get your review right the first time--you may choose to edit it later on, but by doing so, you will lose any positive feedback associated with the review. We encourage you to write your review in a word processor or text editor, save it to your local disk, then copy and paste it in the box below. I liked this episode very much, it\\\'s a classic simpsons\\\' episode.It isn\\\'t the best episode of simpsons .But Ah blá blá
  • Homer sad about being fired?

7.6
    Homer reevaluates his life after getting fired from the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant for causing a meltdown. He becomes a public safety advocate and rallies to have speed bumps installed on roads and fights against his old boss. Eventually, he abandons his cause and gets rehired at the plant with a raise. I have one thing to say to you Homer Simpsons get used to getting fired because boy are you going to be surprised after you get fired so many times in the series. The Simpsons by now are just getting their sea legs for comedy, and they will get much better so not to worry fans it will get better, but it is not horrible so far.
  • this show is cool

7.7
    i like this episode because its the first time that homer has actually got fired from his lame "sector 7g " job. as smithers would say "its the shmo from sector 7g sir" anyway moving on this is a gr8 episode because it shows that when an stupid person like homer simpson gets fired, then its possible to rebuild your life again.
  • homer gets fired for the first of many times

7.8
    this episode is a very important episode of the simpsons which actually shows homer can be competent at something, not his actual job but a short time of making springfield a safe town. after 2 episodes of being a worker at the nuclear power plant, he gets fired and later promoted to the nuclear power plant safety inspector of sector 7G that he does to this day (except for most episodes where he gets fired or gets another job). homer attempting to kill himself was a bit of a stretch on an early episode but finding the boulder/rock next to the bridge after carrying one from home was humourous so that scene was saved and everything went uphill for homer then. not the best early episode but homer getting promoted was an important aspect of the series which would bring many jokes later on in the series.
  • A really good episode.

This episode was pretty cool, apart from Homer getting fired and all...and he tries to kill himself, but he becomes a public safety avdocate. Not much I can say about this episode apart from that the fact it wasn't all that bad but it could have been better, in my opinion.
< 1 2