The Simpsons

I Love Lisa

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 11, 1993 on FOX

• This episode truly sets "The Simpsons" apart from all the other animated comedies out there.

"I Love Lisa" is the perfect example of what sets The Simpsons apart from every other animated show out there. This episode shows that the show can truly have heart, and not just joke upon joke upon joke. "I Love Lisa" tells the story of Valentine's Day in Springfield Elementary's second grade class. Ralph Wiggum, a bit of an outcast, proudly gives each and every student in the class a valentine. In return for his selflessness, though, he receives not even one valentine. In this moment, the writers make the viewer truly feel for Ralph, a feat which can be difficult to do in a two-dimensional cartoon show. Lisa, feeling sorry for Ralph, decides to give him an "I Choo-Choo-Choose You" valentine, an act of selflessness that truly makes the viewer like Lisa as a character even more. This act of kindness leads Ralph to be smitten with Lisa, and he invites her to go to the Krusty 29th anniversary special with him. There, he professes his love for her during the audience questioning session, to which Lisa screams: "I don't like you! I never liked you!". This act breaks poor little Ralph's heart. Unfortunately, Ralph and Lisa are still set to play George and Martha Washington, respectively, in the school's play together. On stage, Ralph gives an absolutely brilliant performance, and the two end up being good friends.

"I Love Lisa" is certainly full of heart and an episode worth watching for that reason alone; it does, however, have its funny moments, especially with Chief Wiggum. One such moment is when he is trying to crack nuts on the table, and one will not budge; he proceeds to shoot it with his handgun, and says to the bowl of nuts, "Let that be a lesson to the rest of you nuts!". Another funny part comes when Homer is pulled over by Chief Wiggum, who then proceeds to hit Homer's taillight. Homer tells Chief Wiggum that one day, the citizens of Springfield are going to stand up to him and the rest of the cops, to which Chief Wiggum replies: "Oh no! Have they set a date?". Clearly, The Simpsons do not lose their humor when they make an episode filled with plenty of heart. This episode is truly great for its balance of heart and humor, and I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of The Simpsons, or just a fan of good television.