The Simpsons

Jaws Wired Shut

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 27, 2002 on FOX

• superb

what i liked- "maybe a hug will cork her cry hole", lisa complaining about ralph (Gotta love Ralph, eh?), Soccer Mummy, the gay pride parada (We're here. We're queer. Get used to it), homer actually becoming the type to care and listen to the problems of others, the Duffman trivia challenge (probably the funniest scene in the episode), homer becoming like his own self and being able to talk again, Bart asking if he can imitate Jackass (the tv show), etc.

good episode. the description is more than a little odd (oh, homer breaks his jaws when he runs into a statue, so his jaws are wired shut and he can't talk), but the episode as a whole is pretty funny, so my final grade is an A- or so. it's not perfect but it is really close

• Great Episode!!!!

For being disruptive during a movie, Homer gets chased by teenagers working there all through town. He crashes into a Dredrick Tatum statue, and breaks his jaw. Homer is forced to wear wired headgear to fix his jaw. Since he can't talk, he starts spending time with his family. Marge is even going to dances with him.

Soon, Homer gets his headgear taken off. Marge fears that he will return to his old, rude self, but he is the same as when he was with the headgear. Marge becomes very bored, so she decideds to enter the demolition derby. When she is about to get run over, Homer drinks beer and becomes stronger, and saves Marge.

This was a great episode. I loved the whole movie scene, with the giant kit kat. I also loved Lisa imitating Ralph, Moe's phone call, Milhouse on the kids taht still wet the bed segment, and the popeye parody.

Overall Grade:95%/A+
  • Homer has his jaws wired shut.

Well I think that this episode was very funny and at the same time very apporpriate and needed. Homer can be sort of a jerk sometimes (its just his character), and it was good to see him develop into a better listener. My favorite part of the whole episode was hands down the pop eye parody that was absolutely priceless! This episode in my opinion really could not have been better as the idea they presented did not give them much room to work with but nonetheless the Simpsons, the masters of comedy, proved that even ideas that seem stupid can be transformed into a good story.
  • This type of humor makes the Simpsons great, and what it is!!!!

While running rampant through Springfield, Homer accidentally smashes into a new statue of Dredrick Tatum, the heavyweight champion of the world, and breaks his jaw. Dr. Hibbert wires his jaw shut to allow it to heal, and forces Homer to shut his mouth…for once. Because he can't speak, Homer is forced to listen to his family for the first time. To everyone's surprise, Homer is surprisingly good at listening to their problems/concerns and creates harmony in the family. When he finally gets the wires off, he remains the good listener. Marge steadily begins going crazy as Homer is now the voice of reason in the family. She begins coming loose at the seams and needs an outlet. She decides to take matters into her own hands and fulfill one of Homer's dreams for herself: driving in a demolition derby. Except when she's in the ring, she begins getting pummeled by the other cars. Homer is forced to lose his gentile side and revert back to old-Homer to save the day and ultimately the marriage itself.
  • another homer problem

this is a great episode it has everything a simpsons episode should have a stupid homer a sensible going on non sensible marge. an new kind of homer emerges from this episode but then it goes back to normal.

the episode starts off at a movie theater and homer starts a uproar when the movie commercials keep on piling up. he attempts to run from the ushers and breaks his jaw runnning into a statue now his jaws are wired shut and to addapet to it he has to be more attentive and when he finaly gets his unwired he has decided not become the embarassing homer he used to be.
  • Classic episode! Hilarious!

Yet another excellent episode! Jaws Wired Shut gets more and more funnier as the episode progresses! It starts with the gay pride parade, which is the worst moment of the episode. The only funny moment was hearing Smithers' voice in the closet with either Patty or Selma. Of course, that doesn't mean it is him...

The episode picks up as the family go to the movies, but there are so many previews. I particularly liked Bart's comment: "(to Lisa) I prefer to egg him on. (to Homer) Hey Dad! Has the movie started yet?" The giant Kit-Kat was funny, too.

Then Homer runs outside and breaks his jaw. This was a bit weird as it was over so quickly. Nonetheless, we soon get into the funny stuff. Homer learns to listen. This is great for two reasons: firstly, it is funny; and secondly, it is nice to see Homer not being a jerk for once. Funny moments here included Homer writing "yes" on his chalkboard twice in a row when answering Lisa's questions; and saying "I'm horny" through his jaw wires at the dance.

After the jaws come off is when this episode really shines. Homer and his glass of milk has to be the funniest moment here: "I'd love to stay and argue with you, Marge, but then I'd have to get a new glass of milk." The Popeye parody was good as well, but in my opinion it went on for too long.

At the end, Homer goes back to his loud, crazy self. Hopefully, he won't be too much of a jerk in future episodes!
  • Best impersonation of Popeye I've ever seen!

This episode was hilarious, like all of the old Simpsons eps. I've seen some great episodes, and this one doesn't disappoint. The plot was pretty good and they made it really funny. I liked how the wires originally made Homer miserable and soon improved his life, only to end with the Simpsons realizing that Homer was better as a slob who only cared about himself. Also, what really impressed me was the absolutely brilliant display shown when Homer literally becomes Popeye! I mean, most attempts at impersonating Popeye would be sub-par, but Groening did a great job on that. Also, the thing with the donkey? Pure genious. This ep was great.
  • homer breaks his jaw on a statue

the millions of previews that agitated homer at the cinema until homer finally cracked and started a chant "start the movie" was a hilarious start to the episode as was homer's horror at not being able to eat solids, almost lunging for the suicide machine. even though this episode shows a calmer, nicer homer it doesn't change homer's character in that he is still stupid, for example rubbing yes off the chalkboard and rewriting yes. this still remains true to homer's basic characteristics. this episode contained no boring bits and ended hilariously in a popeye spoof where homer drinks a duff to bring up the courage he needed and marges flailing arms.
  • So funny I laughed my head off.

One of funniest and most interesting plots ever. Jaws Wired Shut was a funny episode with memorable scenes, great laughs and it shows the side of Homer that likes to listen, when he gets his jaws wired shut after an accident. Marge enjoys this but finds she is better off without silent Homer. It's one of the episodes where Homer improves himself, like in HOMR. I honetsly loved this, and it's one of the best, like Mommie Beerest, Bart Sells His Soul, In Marge We Trust and Diatribe of a Mad Housewife.